2013 PIU questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 PIU questions

Lightn95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
Hello..I just picked up a '13 PIU with very low miles. It was used by my local PD. I've been reading a lot of threads on here but I still have some questions. I'm sure I'll have more as I read more threads.
Mine doesn't have keyless entry and remote start. Did they all come with keyless entry and start, but it wasn't enabled? If so how do I enable it.

I want to get a set of OEM wheels. Do I need a certain size to clear the larger brakes?

I keep reading about FORSCAN, it's over my head. What is it?

Where does the Aux switch power go? I read that they can be used operate different things.

Thanks for your help. I know I have more questions, but I can't think of them now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum and owner of the PIU. The 2013 Utility is able to have remote start and locks enabled. I wrote a thread on how to do this.
2013 PIU Remote Keyless Locks and Start Procedure
Forscan is an open source computer program that allows the reading and writing of your trucks control modules. These modules are the mini computers that control the electrical components.
Aux switch is also covered in this forum.
AUX Button Light Wiring

I would suggest spending some time and read all the threads in this section before asking more questions.

Welcome and good luck.

Welcome to the forum and owner of the PIU. The 2013 Utility is able to have remote start and locks enabled. I wrote a thread on how to do this.
2013 PIU Remote Keyless Locks and Start Procedure
Forscan is an open source computer program that allows the reading and writing of your trucks control modules. These modules are the mini computers that control the electrical components.
Aux switch is also covered in this forum.
AUX Button Light Wiring

I would suggest spending some time and read all the threads in this section before asking more questions.

Welcome and good luck.

Trader..I get it, people don't want to answer the same question over and over...Explorers are all new to me so im trying to figure out all the abbreviations... is Forscan something that only a dealership would have or should a garage have it too? I really don't want to get into messing with tunes.... I have other toys that get tuned and don't feel like having a 4th one....

Forscan is a free program that you download to your laptop. It is a different program than the dealer uses but does do some of the same things. In order to program your truck you will need to download the program then get the free upgrade. Then use a laptop and OBDII interface as described in my how to thread. If you do not want to mess with that, the dealer can enable the hex codes for you. Prices vary all over the board. There is a lengthy thread in the main Gen 5 board on this subject.
Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

Programming remote start FOB w/ push button start

Trader... I read your how to thread about the keyless entry and start. I've been looking on ebay and I've found some OEM keys but some are 40 bit and some are 80 bit. Do you know which is the correct one?

Sorry, I do not. Maybe someone else can help?

As far as tires....18" minimums to clear the larger rotors.

Aww you're cute. Semantics. Seeing as how you can only mount 18" tires on 18" rims it's implied.

Is there a way to make the rear hatch open with the key fob. I can get the power motor. But I'm not sure yet if the wiring is there. Has this been done/can it be done?

Back