Parking Lot "Crunch" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking Lot "Crunch"

Just came back from a trip to Home Depot & lunch at a local Panara Bread.
I pulled all the way through a parking spot to the adjacent spot (so that I don't have to back out when I leave), put the tranny into "Park" & set the parking brake as usual. I get out & while I'm zipping up my parka (hey, it's 10°F outside), I hear a plastic "Crunch".

I look back, and a gal driving a Jeep Compass pulled into the spot behind me, put the tranny in "Park" & the Jeep rolled forward against the tranny's Parking Pawl, into my rear bumper.

She rolled down her window & we had the following conversation:

Me: "Did you set the brake?"
Her: "What?"
Me: "Did you set the Parking Brake?"
Her (again): "What?"
Me (again, but slower): "Did you set the Parking Brake?"
Her: "What's that? Oh, do you mean the Emergency Brake?"
Me: "Yes, the Emergency Brake. Did you set it?"
Her: "No, why would I do that?"...

I guess that she never Risky Business, where Tom Cruise sent his dad's Porsche 928 into Lake Michigan.

I told her to back up in order to survey the damage. No visible damage to my Explorer (hard to tell though, due to the vehicle being covered in road salt). Her front license plate frame (a dealership ad one) was cracked & missing pieces.

For all practical purposes, the lot is on flat ground, but is sloped for drainage.

As my other vehicle (a 2003 BMW 325xiT) has a manual tranny & I have had other manual cars in the past, I always set the parking brake, unless I've been driving in snow, in which the parking brake tends to freeze up once it cools down.

I don't want a repeat "Tom Cruise" moment....

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Who is the U boat commander?"

I don’t think she was at fault for not using the parking brake ( I never, ever use mine. I see no reason to) but for being an idiot and parking too close.

I don’t think she was at fault for not using the parking brake ( I never, ever use mine. I see no reason to) but for being an idiot and parking too close.

I agree, but she is an idiot for:
1. Parking too close, as you mentioned.
2. Not knowing what a Parking Brake is.

I won’t dispute either of those.

Back