2008 XLT Service RSC light & chime w/ABS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 XLT Service RSC light & chime w/ABS

J$hort

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport, 2008 XLT V8
Ok, here goes. Got a 2008 Explorer XLT V8. A while back the service RSC light and annoying chime came on after a bit of driving. Seems to be prevalent when turning or backing up. I ran a a scan (Android Phone/Torque app) and received a code for left rear ABS sensor. I replaced and still got the error so I returned the part, placed back the old. I figured it was a inaccurate code read so went to dealer for a better diagnosis (so I thought). They hit me for $120 to even look at it, another $140 for a left rear ABS sensor and another $120 to install (5 minute job). Felt like I got taken, but no more annoying chime, right? Nope, same thing after a few miles of driving...so they had my car all day, got the same code and replaced the ABS sensor, collected my money and called it a day. Meanwhile I still have the annoying chime. Dealer thinks it is a short but needs more time to look at it..@ $120/hour I'm not sure I want to play that game. So if anyone has any information on the fix, tings to try or a way to disable the chime it would be greatly appreciated...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, what was needed here is a chimectomy. I was able to remove the lower dash panel under the steering wheel (2 screws), the upper dash panel above the steering wheel (2 screws) and the instrument cluster (4 screws). This is connected to 1 plug which can simply be unclipped (has a lever lock). Once that was out a plastic cover on the back of the cluster was unclipped exposing a chime/speaker unit. A little clip of one of the leads disables the chime. I'm sure a bit of solder could reverse the process. This was pretty simple and terminated the annoying chime. In my case the mysterious problem still exists and will need to be located. Dealer thinks it is a short. Please keep in mind the chime for the seat belt, door ajar and even the blinker sound no longer sounds. It is actually quite nice and peaceful..and the visual alerts are still present.

Did you have any issues with the RSC or ABS actually engaging? I had the same alarm go off, but also felt like RSC kicked in - sluggish, not responsive.

RSC, ABS and multiple other lights

I have a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0. I had my SUV at the dealer for over a week with the same issues.
They ran diagnostics for over 3 days, finally replaced wires to the junction box and still having the issues. The dealer told me that now they are seeing that I need a PCM and a Junction box.
The dealer is telling me that either someone replaced the batter backwards or my car was hit by lightning. Now I have to wait 2 weeks for the PCM to shipped to the dealership.

At this point I am praying the PCM and Junction box fix the issues.

I will update when after we get the PCM/JB replaced.

Ron

I have a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0. I had my SUV at the dealer for over a week with the same issues.
They ran diagnostics for over 3 days, finally replaced wires to the junction box and still having the issues. The dealer told me that now they are seeing that I need a PCM and a Junction box.
The dealer is telling me that either someone replaced the batter backwards or my car was hit by lightning. Now I have to wait 2 weeks for the PCM to shipped to the dealership.

At this point I am praying the PCM and Junction box fix the issues.

I will update when after we get the PCM/JB replaced.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I want to look into this to see how I can help. For me to do so, I'll need a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll look into options and see what I can do. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Possible Solution to RSC Alarm

Our 2010 V6 Ford Explorer was having a similar issue. RSC Alarm (quite loud) would go off regularly while driving, and it was accompanied by very odd and sometimes frightening feelings in the brake pedal. Also the traction control light and ABS light would come on when all of this happened.

The fix: A local mechanic looked into it and replaced the front passenger side hub assembly (he said it was worn and loose and therefore causing the sensor on that wheel to misread). Problem solved so far, and I hope it never comes back. Total cost was $411 (included parts and labor), so I was very pleased.

Our 2010 V6 Ford Explorer was having a similar issue. RSC Alarm (quite loud) would go off regularly while driving, and it was accompanied by very odd and sometimes frightening feelings in the brake pedal. Also the traction control light and ABS light would come on when all of this happened.

The fix: A local mechanic looked into it and replaced the front passenger side hub assembly (he said it was worn and loose and therefore causing the sensor on that wheel to misread). Problem solved so far, and I hope it never comes back. Total cost was $411 (included parts and labor), so I was very pleased.

This occurred yesterday as I was leaving my fire station. Startled me and I immediately pulled over in concern that my car decided to self detonate.

Obviously your mechanic looked at the hub assembly, but did you get the opportunity to look at it and notice anything extremely worn? I'd like to get my wheels off and take a look at my hubs and see if I can find one more worn than both. Being a 2008 I may end up replacing both anyhow.

Also, has this remedied the problem still? I'm interested as this is the only response I can find that says anything about not going to a dealership and spending 2/3 of my monthly income.

I had actually just been in that area of the car changing brake pads not long before, and I didn't notice any wear (none that caught my eye). But the best news I have is that the problem has not come back yet, and it has been a good while.

Hope yours is a successful fix as well.

It has now been 3 weeks since replacing both driver and passenger hub and bearings and the "SERVICE RSC NOW" alert has been gone. The auto technician was surprised that it went away and he said he'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks wyoung!

I've got the same thing on a 2010 Mounty. SERVICE RSC Soon. Then next time it switched to SERVICE RSC NOW and ABS warning light. After restarting the error cleared itself, ABS works fine, Traction Control seem to work OK. But it will come back soon after (intermittent) when you start the truck.
Tried to pull codes with a SNAP-ON reader, it said 'one ABS code' present, but when we went in further, it said no Codes to Display. Cleared codes and ran fine for a day without any issues. Repeated itself the next day.

On my '04 it was the Brake Pressure Sensor, $20 part, but i had a solid readable code on that one.

redbul, any update on your issue?

I'll update this thread, as i find out more information.

on my 2007 the wrench came on and abs light..... 4wd only worked when I took it out of auto...... luckily forscan told me it was right front abs sensor open circuit..... changed sensor and all was well..... auto 4x4 , abs and trac control all fixed before first snow

Hi Ron,

I want to look into this to see how I can help. For me to do so, I'll need a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll look into options and see what I can do. :thumbsup:

Crystal
Greetings,
Could use some help/advice on the "SERVICE RSC NOW" warning light and audio alarm problem. Vehicle description: 2010 Ford Explorer, XLT, 4x4, 4.0 liter Engine. First episode (approximately 89,000 miles), early July 2017 got full audio alarm and "SERVICE RSC NOW" warning light, "ABS" warning light, plus "Vehicle Skidding" warning light (traction control?) and the "Yellow Wrench" warning light, shut engine off for several hours and problem (all warning lights and audio alarm) went away. I later took the Explorer to a Ford Dealer with a complete description of the warning lights and audio alarm hoping they could hook the vehicle up to a diagnostic computer and see if any "faults" were recorded, unfortunately no faults recorded so vehicle was returned to me with no action taken (no recommendations for a fix). Second episode (approximately 92,000 miles), around Thanksgiving 2017, same problem as first episode came back with same exact warning lights and audio alarm and continued to happen every day for 2+ weeks (see below).

Other relevant data:
1. Had the front left and front right bearings replaced at a Ford Dealer in Spring 2017, about 2 months later is when the first episode happened.
2. Currently, it is winter here, with snow on the ground, I've been operating the Explorer regularly, took a 200 mile round trip to the mountains (plenty of snow on roads) on Saturday, 16 December 2017 and the problem seems to have gone away for now, vehicle seemed to function properly, (I drove for about 1 mile in 4x4 "High" setting to handle the snow and slush). But I know this same problem will be back.
3. Any Thoughts?

Thanks,
River Runner

Fixed, mine. Had the Left Front Wheel bearing replaced over the summer. Wire had worn out or was rubbing on the rotor or something. Copper showing. Replaced sensor and all was fine.
Note it did snow which broken, RSC is a good thing. We only had 4" of snow slide all over the place reminded me of my old rear wheel drive.

Fixed, mine. Had the Left Front Wheel bearing replaced over the summer. Wire had worn out or was rubbing on the rotor or something. Copper showing. Replaced sensor and all was fine.
Note it did snow which broken, RSC is a good thing. We only had 4" of snow slide all over the place reminded me of my old rear wheel drive.
I realized what systems are disabled first time I nailed it on a green light in the rain and it felt like the trans was slipping and rpms were pegging too quick....then realized that I was roasting 1 tire through the intersection

2009 XLT with 4.0L and I just had this issue happen for the first time the other day (158,000 miles). Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree with yellow wrench, ABS, and swervy car lights and the "Service RSC Now" note with lovely chiming. No noticeable effect on driving or performance so I continued on my way to work. Got in at lunch, started up, and no issues for first mile or so then a total repeat. On the drive home nothing came up and it was business as usual.

I drove to work again today and there were no issues with the ABS or RSC service fault. Weird.

A little background, I've fought front wheel bearing issues on this car since I've owned it. They seem to go out about every 15,000-20,000 miles and I've always noticed the obvious humming/rubbing/knocking as a sign that they need to be replaced. Never threw a fault at me before. There's a lot of mention here about faulty bearings causing the RSC issue so I wonder if this is a new way of telling me that they're starting to go again.

Anyway, since I haven't noticed any issues with the handling or driving so far I've been reluctantly optimistic that maybe it was a weird electrical gremlin that popped up and went away. If it continues to be a problem I plan on taking it to Advanced Auto (or similar) and having them run the diagnostic code. I'll update if anything changes

next time it happens I will bet any money if you try to do a burn out in 4wd auto one tire will roast

Sounds very familiar. I had that same problem and started down the road of the chimectomy and replacing front hubs and ABS sensors. Never really went away until I received word from my local mechanic who was doiing some other work and by chance decided to remove and clean my K&N intake and filter. He noticed that the filter housing wore away the coating of the wires beneath and was causing a short. This was resulting in teh RSC light/chime error. A simple fix was to tape wires with electrical tape. This is a case of a simple fix, but hard to find electrical problem. Just wanted to share as it may be something to consider if the cause cannot be found in teh normal places.

2009 XLT with 4.0L and I just had this issue happen for the first time the other day (158,000 miles). Dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree with yellow wrench, ABS, and swervy car lights and the "Service RSC Now" note with lovely chiming. No noticeable effect on driving or performance so I continued on my way to work. Got in at lunch, started up, and no issues for first mile or so then a total repeat. On the drive home nothing came up and it was business as usual.

I drove to work again today and there were no issues with the ABS or RSC service fault. Weird.

A little background, I've fought front wheel bearing issues on this car since I've owned it. They seem to go out about every 15,000-20,000 miles and I've always noticed the obvious humming/rubbing/knocking as a sign that they need to be replaced. Never threw a fault at me before. There's a lot of mention here about faulty bearings causing the RSC issue so I wonder if this is a new way of telling me that they're starting to go again.

Anyway, since I haven't noticed any issues with the handling or driving so far I've been reluctantly optimistic that maybe it was a weird electrical gremlin that popped up and went away. If it continues to be a problem I plan on taking it to Advanced Auto (or similar) and having them run the diagnostic code. I'll update if anything changes

Follw up on my problem. After about 8 months of no issues, the alarm came back and has stayed on consistently. I took the Explorer to an Advanced Auto and they ran a diagnostic scan. It was a sensor failure in the front left wheel. Bought a new sensor and popped the wheel off. Turns out the sensor line has come off of the restraining clip and the tire had worn through the insulation and exposed bare wire. Replaced the sensor and wire and no issues. I think I got really lucky with mine but it goes to show how varied the cause of these RSC faults can be.

Glad the issue with your 2009 was found jrshelt10. My 2008 XLT is still running as a daily driver and getting thru the New England weather. I also have a 95 Sport that is still running. Latest issues with 2008 seem to be with wheel hubs. I have replaced 3 of 4 and will be tackling the last right rear very soon. I have a small whirring sound from front CV I think, so will be replcing that as well. These are all pretty much mechanical, but I will be sure to check all the wires from ABS sensors and other. Oh, did do a transmission filter and fluid change and was experiencing shifting problems. This explorer is shifted electronically. In my research I found a tech that was experiencing some interference to the shift selenoids from one of the coilovers (for spark plug). As it turns out, mine was a simple case of using an aftermarket trans filter I have lying around instead of the OEM. Swapped them out and all was good. More proof that the electronics in these vehicles should always be on the list of things to check when any given problem arises.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please publish any and all
Hi Ron,

Crystal
Please publish any information you find on this problem. It must be pretty common because I've had the problem twice now. My mechanic said it was probably a transmission problem so I took it to a transmission shop. They agreed the problem was the transmission. Almost $4000 and two months later the dash lights and the chimes are back again. Is this something that Ford should cover with a recall?

Back