XLT vs Limited vs sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

XLT vs Limited vs sport

Main reasons for Sport:
1. Power....loads of it.
2. Black trim instead of chrome on exterior of vehicle
3. No fake wood interior of vehicle
4. Suspension and ride - very tight, minimal body roll

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had my Sport a week. The only reason I got the Sport or even an Explorer was the the motor.

I've had my Sport a week. The only reason I got the Sport or even an Explorer was the the motor.
I realize this thread was started in 2013 but as of 2016, the Platinum has the same motor. So just the motor can no longer be the only consideration.

Peter

I realize this thread was started in 2013 but as of 2016, the Platinum has the same motor. So just the motor can no longer be the only consideration.

Peter
The title asked nothing about the Platinum.

Kinda funny listening to the Ecoboost fanatics gushing about their 'motor'.

The Pilot and Traverse with their 9-speed autos and significantly less horsepower are negligibly behind it in all the important performance numbers. All while getting significantly better mileage when you choose not to use all that power.

Peter

Sure it can. Now the choice for me would be Sport or Platinum. I'd probably still stick with the Sport.

Kinda funny listening to the Ecoboost fanatics gushing about their 'motor'.

The Pilot and Traverse with their 9-speed autos and significantly less horsepower are negligibly behind it in all the important performance numbers. All while getting significantly better mileage when you choose not to use all that power.

The Pilot and Traverse were no where near the performance of the Sport when I got mine, so yes, the 3.5L Ecoboost was the selling point for me.

EDIT: Also, just because the new Pilot and Traverse are closer in 0-60 times doesn't mean that they are good engines. I'm sure the Honda runs like a typical Honda(smooth, quiet...etc) The Ecoboost is nice in that you can roll into the throttle and let the torque do the accelerating(without downshifting).

Sure it can. Now the choice for me would be Sport or Platinum. I'd probably still stick with the Sport.
I should have added "in choosing the Sport".:(

Purely cosmetic. The fancy sport wheels, with the body color, and non chrome trim, black grill, smoked tail lights, red stitched seats, and silver trim inside. Didn't care about the motor. 100% ascetics.

Purely cosmetic. The fancy sport wheels, with the body color, and non chrome trim, black grill, smoked tail lights, red stitched seats, and silver trim inside. Didn't care about the motor. 100% ascetics.

Generally my same reasoning for purchasing the XLT Appearance Package, not a fan of chrome, reminds me too much of a soccer mom’s vehicle. In addition to not liking chrome, I’ve owned a Ford 2.3L turbo in the past and it was disaster to work on and the turbo went out like clockwork every 50,000 miles. I know the turbos have improved a lot since I owned mine and I wish all owners of the EB engines the best, but too many extra components for me. If I want power I’ll buy a car/truck with an engine that has greater displacement.

The XLT is easily the sweet spot in the Explorer line-up. It has basically the options everyone wants, and is not out of most folks price range. I'm a person who does not want all of the artificial driving aids, and paying for them in higher priced models. Actually the base I have now is perfect in that regard, and if you could get a couple more options, like remote start and hand-free liftgate, it would be my first choice. If I buy or lease after retirement, I'll be looking at the XLT.

The Sport shouldn't even be considered an Explorer because it's a different class of vehicle, set up for performance. Should be more fully differentiated from the actual Explorers. Ford should go back to the XLS, XLT and Limited. The Platinum should be a Lincoln, and the Sport should be in the Performance Division.

If I ran Ford, there would be many changes! ;)

Sport for the performance. Runner up was a 4runner limited. Ended up choosing performance over off road ;)

I got the Platinum for the performance and all the "artificial driving aids". Don't use then all but love that cluster.:)

Peter

Peter
Well, a lot of us wanted the police interceptor with the eco-boost engine because of the hot-rod motor, handling, and everything else the interceptor had as an advantage over the regular explorers. No dealership would sell me a new interceptor of any type. The closest I could get was the Sport which has worked out well for me. Folded the rear seats down on day one as I carry personal belongings and other junk and not passengers. The things just pour and roar (pour 'em into and roar out of a turn). I run 93 since I work the motor hard sometimes. Read the manual before you lecture me on that as it says to expect improved performance with higher octane fuel--and, I got it as best I can tell.

Well, a lot of us wanted the police interceptor with the eco-boost engine because of the hot-rod motor, handling, and everything else the interceptor had as an advantage over the regular explorers. No dealership would sell me a new interceptor of any type. The closest I could get was the Sport which has worked out well for me. Folded the rear seats down on day one as I carry personal belongings and other junk and not passengers. The things just pour and roar (pour 'em into and roar out of a turn). I run 93 since I work the motor hard sometimes. Read the manual before you lecture me on that as it says to expect improved performance with higher octane fuel--and, I got it as best I can tell.
Not sure why lecturing would required. The Manual clearly states that premium gasoline will increase performance and all the HP/Torque stats were noted as being derived from using 93 octane. I've posted that many times over the years.

Peter

Back