Hello new member here. Help needed removing radiator from '02 Mountaineer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello new member here. Help needed removing radiator from '02 Mountaineer.

Nasty Wendy

Reaction score
City, State
Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Hello everybody. I found this forum through a Google search and I'm bookmarking it in my favorites. I've read enough to know that there are some folks here that know these SUVs very well. My problem is that my radiator is leaking and I want to replace it. I cannot for the life of me get the dang thing out. Is there a set of instruction online somewhere that can give a step by step on 'How to remove the radiator'? The main problem is the lower bolt on the passenger side. I can't get to it.:frustrate I did a search and it didn't bring up much info on how to remove them. TIA.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow 46 views and no help. I guess I asked a stumper question.

Below are the shop manual directions. Send me your e-mail address and I can e-mail the pics that go with it.

Tom

SECTION 303-03: Engine Cooling 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radiator

Special Tool(s) Disconnect Tool, Transmission Cooler Line
307-441

Removal

Remove the upper air deflector.

NOTE: 4.6L engine shown, 4.0L engine similar.

Detach the A/C tube from the retainers.

Remove the inner air deflector.

Remove and discard the screws. Remove the bolt from the left side of the fan shroud.

Remove and discard the screws. Remove the bolt from the right side of the fan shroud.

Remove the upper radiator fan shroud.

Drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding in this section.
Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
NOTE: If equipped, remove the safety retainer from the connector.

Disconnect the cooler line.
If equipped, use the special tool to disconnect the quick coupler.
If equipped, loosen and remove the screw clamp from the hose.

Disconnect the hose from the radiator, detach the hose from the retainer(s) and position it aside.

Remove the left lower radiator hose from the radiator and position it aside.

Remove the bolts and the lower fan shroud.

Disconnect the lower air dam pushpins.

Lower the vehicle.
Disconnect the degas bottle hose and upper radiator hose.

Remove the two bolts and the right radiator support bracket.

Remove the two bolts and the left radiator support bracket.

Remove the right A/C condenser support bracket.

Remove the left A/C condenser support bracket.

NOTE: It will be necessary to lift the radiator assembly up off the mounts and set it on the frame in order to separate the A/C condenser from the radiator.

NOTE: RH side shown, LH side similar.

Remove the radiator up off the mounts and set it on the frame.

Remove the left inner air deflector from the A/C condenser.

Remove the right inner air deflector from the A/C condenser.

CAUTION: Do not allow the A/C condenser to hang freely or damage to the A/C lines could occur.

NOTE: LH side shown, RH side similar.

Using mechanics wire, support both sides of the A/C condenser.

NOTE: It is not necessary to evacuate the A/C system. The A/C condenser can remain in the vehicle.

NOTE: It will be necessary to lift the A/C condenser up off the lower support. Move the A/C condenser toward the front of the vehicle.

Remove the radiator and trans cooler as an assembly and place it on a bench.

Remove the bolts and the trans cooler.

Remove the splash shield pin-type retainers.

Disconnect the hose.

Remove the four bolts and the bracket.

Installation

Position the bracket and install the bolts.

Connect the hose.
Install an appropriately sized worm drive-type clamp in place of the constant tension clamp.

Install the splash shield pin-type retainers.

Install the trans cooler and bolts.

Set the radiator assembly on the frame.

NOTE: LH side shown, RH side similar.

Remove the mechanics wire from the A/C condenser and position the condenser onto the lower mounts.

Install the right inner A/C air deflector shield.

Install the left inner A/C air deflector shield.

Align the lower mount and install the right A/C condenser mounting bracket.

Align the lower mount and install the left A/C condenser mounting bracket.

Set the radiator assembly onto the support mounts.

Install the right radiator support bracket and the two bolts.

Install the left radiator support bracket and the two bolts.

Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
Install the lower front air dam pushpins.

Install the lower fan shroud and bolts.

Connect the left lower radiator hose.
Install an appropriately sized worm drive-type clamp in place of the constant tension clamp.

Connect the hose to the radiator, and attach it to the retainer(s).

Connect the trans cooler lines.
If equipped, install the safety retainer on the connector.
If equipped, install the screw clamp on the hose.

Lower the vehicle.
Install the upper fan shroud.

Install the bolt on the left side of the fan shroud.

Install the bolt on the right side of the fan shroud.

Connect the upper radiator hose and the degas bottle hose.

Install the inner air deflector.

NOTE: 4.6L engine shown, 4.0L engine similar.

Attach the A/C tube to the retainers.

Install the upper air deflector.

Fill and bleed the cooling system. For additional information, refer to Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding in this section.
Fill and check the transmission fluid. For additional information, refer to Section 307-01 .

E-mail sent.

Tom

If you haven't located a new radiator yet, or want to price shop a little, call 1-800-RADIATOR. They've got stores nationwide, and calling the 800 number will put you in touch with the closest one to you. I use them almost exclusively, and so far, I haven't found a better price or warranty anywhere. They offer lifetime warranties on all their radiators except special racing or commercial applications.

Thread dig

Is there any way of removing the radiator without pulling out the trans cooler

I've watched a few videos on youtube of people doing it but they don't really show you how to get to the lower bolts

Thread dig

Is there any way of removing the radiator without pulling out the trans cooler

I've watched a few videos on youtube of people doing it but they don't really show you how to get to the lower bolts

Yes, but it involves removing the bumper, headlights and the header panel that the headlights mount to.

This will give you access to four holes (each just big enough for a socket, 1/4" drive? been a while) which will give you access to the mounting screws.

I did it this way because my bumper was already off (due to a deer) but I'd go this route again. As with anything, it's not a straight shot. Mainly, putting it back together, aligning everything was a challenge.

Managed to do it today with the front bumper and lights still in place

Heres how I did it:
Remove clutch fan and both shrouds (I already has these off)
Remove top trim panel
Remove brackets holding AC condenser to rest of cooling assembly
Remove brackets holding cooling assembly to the body
Remove side pastic trims in cooling assembly
Remove top 2 radiator bolts
Remove 2 trans cooler bolts
Remove lower LH radiator bolt via lower cut out in bumper using 2 extension bars and a swivel 3/8 size
Hang trans cooler up as high as possible with rope
Lift AC condenser up and push back under wiring loom
Lift remainer of cooling assembly of its mounts and tilt forward
Now there is just enough access to remove the final lower bolt holding the radiator in to the bracket
I undid it with a ratchet spanner and put it back together with a ratchet and short extension 1/4 inch size

It was a bit of a mission but after having swapped the gearbox and transfer case it didn't seem so hard

They don't make anything on these trucks easy do they...

Is the AC condenser connected to the radiator/trans cooler assembly?

I am trying to replace the radiator in my '02 Explorer and don't want to mess with the AC system.

Hello does anybody know if you can take off the radiator from a 2002 Ford explore 4.6 without messing with the AC lines. If so is there any step by step instructions on how to do it

Hello does anybody know if you can take off the radiator from a 2002 Ford explore 4.6 without messing with the AC lines. If so is there any step by step instructions on how to do it

2nd post above yours.....

I hate dealing with these radiators. I think removing /reinstalling the radiator on my '02 Exp.the first time I pulled the engine was one of the hardest part of the job.Replaced with one I bought from RockAuto which was cheap and works great. Second time I pulled the engine (to replace), I left the radiator in, protected by lots of cardboard.

When I later replaced the a/c condenser with a used one (also works great), I found a video that showed how to do it without removing the radiator, which was a godsend.

Back