• Register Today It's free!

Idle problem

timelesskoontah

Reaction score
City, State
philipsburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001-2003
Hi I own a 2003 sport track that was down for almost 1 year ...the problem was the tranny ..I ordered one and it changes fine the problem is it will accelerate in idle mode but when put in drive it will stutter and won't take the gas ...when put back in neutral it will idle for like one minute and cut off...can someone please fell me what could be the problem? I also changed the up and down stream sensors but the same thing happens ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you leave the old fuel in it for a year? have you put fresh fuel in it since it was put back in service? Do you have a CEL on? Have you tried cleaning your MAF sensor?

I haven't change or clean the MAF sensor and yea I've changed the fuel....it just stutters and barely moves in drive and when put back in neutral or park it idles for a bit and then just shuts off..

Is it necessary to change the catalyst

Catalytic converter - No, not unless it's clogged.

Do you use fuel with ethanol? If so what percentage? The the thing with ethanol is it absorbs moister/water from the air and at some point the water separates from the fuel and (being heavier than gasoline) the water settles to the bottom of the fuel tank, right where the fuel pickup is. If you suspect this may have happened, try adding a bottle or two of dry-gas to your tank. I also suggest you clean your MAF with MAF cleaner and check your air filter. Mice love to get inside air boxes when vehicles sit for a long time and I've seen them totally clog the filter.

Does your Check Engine light work? Is it on?

Did your replacement trans come with a new torque converter?

My check engine light came on from the time I changed the fuel pump but I had no issues with it ...and no the tranny didn't I bought a brand new one ...this was the initial problem with the truck..I was driving one day and the truck just refused to go into any gear .....I was really occupied with other projects and left it aside for a year +..

My check engine light came on from the time I changed the fuel pump but I had no issues with it ...and no the tranny didn't I bought a brand new one ...this was the initial problem with the truck..I was driving one day and the truck just refused to go into any gear .....I was really occupied with other projects and left it aside for a year +..

You should always replace the torque converted when you install a new trans. You can get away with reusing an old one sometimes, but it's not recommended. Are you sure you fully seated your old TC in the front trans pump? Usually requires rotating until you feel/hear 2 distinctive clicks. When the TC is fully seated you should barely be about to get your fingers behind it.

As far as your Check Engine Light being on, IDK of any reason it should have come on because you installed a new fuel pump, unless you damaged or did not reconnect something (pressure sensor/evap system) but whatever, you really need to get your codes scanned now as you have more issues/codes than just whatever there were after changing your FP. It's very difficult to try to diagnosis an engine problem without knowing why the ECU has TDC's.

OK Thank you very much will get a certified mechanic to check it out and will let you know ...again thank you for taking the time out to talk to me about the problem was greatly appreciated

No problem. Let us know how it turns out.

Back