Have you installed the remote start on a base model? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have you installed the remote start on a base model?

jstforefn

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, D.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
I have a 2014 Explorer base and want to install the factory remote start.

I have purchased the below:

- REMOTE START SYSTEM - 100 SERIES PLUG-N-PLAY - 2014 FORD EXPLORER (BB5Z-19G364-A)
- REMOTE START SYSTEM - 2014 FORD EXPLORER (DG1Z-14B504-A)
- REMOTE START SYSTEM - HOOD SWITCH KIT - 2014 FORD EXPLORER (BT4Z-19G366-A)

I had the keys cut and have programmed them to lock/unlock and start the car.
I installed the hood switch.

I want to know if anyone has actually installed the hood switch wiring harness and if so how did you route it through the firewall? Did you piggy back it onto the main harness and through the grommet? Did you drill a new hole in the firewall? Remove the windshield wiper cowl and find a new hole to get through?

I'd hate to take it to the dealer for this as I've seen enough horror stories about dealerships not even knowing about the remote start capabilities and want to limit what I tell my dealership they "need" to do to turn on the remote start functions within the instrument cluster.

I've searched this forum and the internet in general to no avail.

Pictures would be fantastic, but straight forward advice would be great, too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The instructions say to go through the "bulkhead" on the driver side...

I might suggest skipping the hood pin all together if you are okay with it. Wire the BCM input through a toggle switch and just flip it if the vehicle goes in for service or if you are working on it so no one can remote start it while anyone is under the hood. Just another idea....

The instructions say to go through the "bulkhead" on the driver side...

I might suggest skipping the hood pin all together if you are okay with it. Wire the BCM input through a toggle switch and just flip it if the vehicle goes in for service or if you are working on it so no one can remote start it while anyone is under the hood. Just another idea....

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to find the bulkhead grommet by removing the wipers, plastic wiper cowling and unbolting the huge bulkhead wiring grommet.

My issue now is finding which is pin 2 on the BCM connector. I was able to find a diagram for an F150 using connector C2280F but I'm still leery about plugging this into the wrong pin location. These little wiring connectors can be a bear to get out once in, especially under the dash like this with little maneuvering room.

Yes as long as you have the correct connector, C2280F it is pin #2 . There should be pin # labels (ie 1,13,14 and 26) on the ends of the pin rows.

I've got a question since you guys seem to have installed the harness already. WHERE DOES IT GO? I know one end gets attatches to the hood pin obviously; but where am I running the wires to exactly? What's on the other end of the harness?

Looking into a 14-15 PIU to replace my 2002 XLT and I'm not sure if it'll have the harness in place since they're pretty much a bare bones base model. I haven't had the chance to look under the hood of one yet. Maybe I'll find a nice police officer who wouldn't mind .
Thanks guys!

Welcome to the Forum John.:wave:

Peter

I've got a question since you guys seem to have installed the harness already. WHERE DOES IT GO? I know one end gets attatches to the hood pin obviously; but where am I running the wires to exactly? What's on the other end of the harness?

Looking into a 14-15 PIU to replace my 2002 XLT and I'm not sure if it'll have the harness in place since they're pretty much a bare bones base model. I haven't had the chance to look under the hood of one yet. Maybe I'll find a nice police officer who wouldn't mind .
Thanks guys!

All PIs are pre-wired for the hood switch.

All PIs are pre-wired for the hood switch.

Yeah? That's a huge load off. Thanks for the info man.

PS I saw your little spat with the other member on the first thread. Your way is by far easier and cheaper IMO.

Anyone Know if you can delete the hood switch by running pin 2 of the BCM to a ground?

Anyone Know if you can delete the hood switch by running pin 2 of the BCM to a ground?
Welcome to the Forum Nicholas.:wave:
I'll let someone else tackle your question.

Peter

Don't do it...the vehicle will be able to start with the hood open. Vehicle getting serviced....mechanic under the hood and somehow remote start gets activated...you are paying the medical bills and more.

He has a base model so he has to install the wiring kit as well. Probably not fun routing it, hence the thought of by-passing it.

Thanks Jason

Yea not trying to deal with it and it only sees a mechanic about twice a year (oil change and inspection) so the odds are rather small. If I'm really worried about it I could just disconnect the ground before taking it in for service.

Thanks Jason

Yea not trying to deal with it and it only sees a mechanic about twice a year (oil change and inspection) so the odds are rather small. If I'm really worried about it I could just disconnect the ground before taking it in for service.

Unintentional starts are a real thing. I would strongly caution you not to bypass the switch.

2011 base had the wiring but not the switch from factory

Back