M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks great, I hope you enjoy that new space.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Fortunately we are in a zone that has no noise ordinance. So they can complain all they want..lol

sweet! so whens the moving out party?

December 29-jan2...lol we will be kid free pretty much that whole time!!

not if i was there. im the biggest kid i know, with a really cool toy, and a credit card

not if i was there. im the biggest kid i know, with a really cool toy, and a credit card
Hahah yea the big kids get to play!!
We got one of these also,i feel like sometime that weekend im gonna end up past out in it!!
ISi7pfwg7elmxe0000000000.jpg

So my pump went out again..or thought it did..turned out my netal return line broke and then the pump cane off the feed metal line..

Ill need a new sender and probably need to add another brace some how..im running the new wires tonight though. .

Size comparison to the old tre 300lph,its a big boy..i wish i had the money and time to run some new -8an lines but i have neither right now..still think the -6an is plenty for the motor but doubting it will be for the nitrous also so it is on the list...

I had to temporarily hang my electric winch for now but worked well..
20180115_205124.jpg
20180115_204512.jpg
20180115_204442.jpg
20180115_204426.jpg
20180115_193720.jpg

That is a slick way to get at the tank, good thinking to plan that out well. It's a shame to see the pump assembly fail that way. It's a low stress item, so they should last for ages. I hope that new pump rocks for you.

Take lots of pics on how you get that pump to fit the assembly. Looks like some trimming of the mount, and who knows what else. It looks substantially bigger in the pics.

Take lots of pics on how you get that pump to fit the assembly. Looks like some trimming of the mount, and who knows what else. It looks substantially bigger in the pics.
It is a bit rounder but length is pretty close and that picture is a funny angle.the bottom support will have to be modded for sure but dont think by much,that black rubber around the bottom of the TRE pump isnt much bigger round than new pump..it honestly looks like not much will have to be done for it to fit..ill know more once new sender gets here..

That electric winch is awesome!
How did you attach it to the bed? Did you make a mount for it?

Did the sending unit rot or just plain break?

That electric winch is awesome!
How did you attach it to the bed? Did you make a mount for it?

Did the sending unit rot or just plain break?
I put mounts in the side of the bed with reinforcements a couple years ago,i use to use the forklift to lift it off..im hoping i have enough height to be able to pull the motor out of the aviator but dont think so..i temporary mounted the winch for now,it actually needs to go on other side of garage so can push the vehicle back out to sit the bed or motor on the ground but i had the ranger towed over and that was the way the towtruck dropped the truck off and i didnt want to push it to turn the truck around..lol

The metal line just broke,it appears to have come loose from the support and probably just vibrated to the point of breaking the line..new sender will be here Friday so going to look into addjng a brace or something if i can..
20180115_195319.jpg

I got 2 sets of wheel dollies from harbor freight this year.
After having cleaned the garage for the motor work I did last year I found much more room in there. lol.
Eventually I put the 98 supercharged Ex on them and moved it over.
I have a two car garage but only one big door and a regular sized house door on the other side.
With the 98 moved all the way over, I had room to pull another vehicle in during bad weather.
So far I only used it to keep the 2004 out of the snow so I only had to clean off one vehicle when it snowed.

But if you ever saw the wheel dollies and wondered about them, they are a good buy.
They are sturdy and do the job. The 98 Ex is still a heavy truck so moving it with one person isn't exactly easy but it is definitely possible.

I got 2 sets of wheel dollies from harbor freight this year.
After having cleaned the garage for the motor work I did last year I found much more room in there. lol.
Eventually I put the 98 supercharged Ex on them and moved it over.
I have a two car garage but only one big door and a regular sized house door on the other side.
With the 98 moved all the way over, I had room to pull another vehicle in during bad weather.
So far I only used it to keep the 2004 out of the snow so I only had to clean off one vehicle when it snowed.

But if you ever saw the wheel dollies and wondered about them, they are a good buy.
They are sturdy and do the job. The 98 Ex is still a heavy truck so moving it with one person isn't exactly easy but it is definitely possible.
My garage is a one car but with my ranger inside i have atleast probably 6ft around every side of the truck so its a pretty big one car..

I have seen those actually and was wondering about them..im thinking of getting them so can move a vehicle around once inside the garage to either side so could have more room..i need to get the garage more organized and empty out my storage unit here soon so ill know how much room i really have..lol

Shop carefully for those dollies. My friend and I bought two pairs over ten years ago, and those didn't roll worthadam. We never used them after fighting the one car one time, pushing it about 15 feet sideways. The wheels on these dollies were cheap quality, too small and didn't turn with any weight on them. We were figuring on replacing the wheels at some point ..., now it's been 10+ years. HF has lots of good stuff, but you have to be careful about the important things.

I can dig that. We got the idea of the dollies(we'd seen them at HF too); when my lift came on a flatbed truck, we used a home made dolly to roll each piece to the edge, before lifting the end off. A cherry picker works great on small heavy objects, the car lift was very long besides being heavy. We got one end off at a time, and then rolled it with the dolly under one end. I was sure that wooden dolly wood be crushed.

20180121_140756.jpg
20180121_140737.jpg
20180121_140728.jpg
Well pump pretty much went right in..had to trim the feed line but otherwise it fit fine..i also added some tacks to the support brace that was already there,it was just squeezed around the metal lines..feels nice and sturdy.just need to do the wiring now

Nice work on the fuel line repairs and the new pump installation. You may want to consider installing an electronic fuel pump controller like I did for my Stealth 340. Otherwise, under normal driving conditions you will be unnecessarily churning an excessive amount of fuel and continuously pulling 15 or more amps.

Thanks for the pump pics. Yea, I can see now that there's not a huge difference in size.
I think a controller might be a good thing also. That pump moves a butt load of gas.

Yea would be nice to get a controller but hey i only drive this truck one way....FULL BEANS!! So most will be getting used ..hahaha

Just finished up wiring the new plug and running the new wires..just about done and can get the bed back on for a test drive..hopefully hopefully i dont lose pressure under full boost anymore and it fixes that..otherwise its going to have to wait till i can afford new lines and modify the inlet nipple to the fuel rail..

Went with 10g to my bosch 75amp relay with a 50amp self reseting breaker..the pump itself has 12g running to it inside the tank also, the plug that came with the pump was that size.solder it directly to the connector studs
20180121_172904.jpg

20180121_185540.jpg

Back