• Register Today It's free!

New to custom building

DragonOrca

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ford Explorer, XLT
I got a 94 Explorer for 10 years ago (my first and only car) and I finally have the means to put some upgrades into it. Right now it is stock (auto 4x4 doesn't work and a few other minor issues). I have done all the work on it myself (learned on my own) But I am sure I will be asking some silly questions and will need all the guidance in the world.
Right now here is the list I like to do
Manual hubs (axel D1, someone asked before)
Bumpers/swing out rear
Snorkel
2" lift
I don't plan on any heavy off roading more of a wilderness exploration to do some metal detecting and camping.

I’d keep with stock sized tires or 30x9.5s. D1 is a 3.27 gear, which is pretty high.

If you're wanting to do some mild off-roading, I would suggest re-gearing. Like Mbrooks said, 3.27 is a pretty high gear ratio. While I'm sure it's great on the highway, it doesn't exactly lend itself the greatest to small obstacles and whatnot. And some slightly larger tires will help off the pavement as well (and look better with a small lift).

Since you're not looking to do anything "hard-core", I'd suggest 3.73. Before you start thinking "I have no idea how to do that", the easier option is to replace the axle/front pumpkin. The front pumpkin is pretty easy to remove and replace, it houses the gears so you don't have to mess with them, and you can find a pumpkin with the gears you're looking for at your local junkyards (D35s can be found in Explorers and Rangers).

The rear is as simple as replacing the axle. If you want to do an upgrade while you're swapping axles (if you chose to do so), I suggest getting a 8.8 rear from a 2nd Gen (95-01) Explorer. Did the swap myself when I built my rig. These axles will have disc brakes, which is a big plus, but get a touch more involved.

The brake MC will need to be swapped for it to work with a MC from a 2nd gen (w/o cruise, w/o proportioning valve), which runs as low as $36.79 on RockAuto (just looked, part number 13165043). For more info, there are threads on this particular swap here on the forum, and IIRC, you'll also have to figure out a way to connect the brake hose line as some fittings changed between 94 and 95 (covered in the thread, I just had custom brake hoses made (8" longer than stock) to accommodate the 4" lift (at first) and wheel travel, and had them put the fittings I needed onto the hoses). Only thing I have yet to fully figure out (I'm sure someone has) is connecting the parking brake cable...I have mine hooked up, I think my cables are just bad, haven't taken the time to address it...

Back