FordPass SmartLink

WallaceMI

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Hi,

I couldn't find any update in the forum but my FordPass app has the option to add the SmartLink feature but obviously I would also need a "modem" through the OBD somehow. Are there any updates about how to get SmartLink device for a 2017 Ford Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your profile indicates you have a 2013 Jetta. If you have both please add the 2017 Explorer (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile and put the Jetta in a signature. Thanks.

Peter

Hi,

I couldn't find any update in the forum but my FordPass app has the option to add the SmartLink feature but obviously I would also need a "modem" through the OBD somehow. Are there any updates about how to get SmartLink device for a 2017 Ford Explorer?

Ford SmartLink was yet another multimedia feature that was overpromised and underdelivered. Not unlike MFT or updates to SYNC3.

Promised for 2017 it still hasn't materialized yet.

The big CES show is in a week so maybe Ford will make some more promises of grandeur but don't hold your breath it may never show up.

Yes not on time....typical of ford.

I have heard a few select dealers have it on a pilot/test program.

This was also posted elsewhere (came from fordpass guide assistant agent supposedly)...

Jan 2018 is the timeframe during which dealerships should start to receive info on the device and related details.
The module will be offered in two price packages, either $150 upfront with $9.99/month afterward OR no upfront and $16.99/month afterward. Installation would be an additional cost.

How accurate that is??...I can't verify.

Hey that is a good sign I also have the SmartLink login page in my FordPass app now...... Now I just hope the original info is updated and that it will work with a 2017 XLT.

I'm using the FordPass App with a new 2018 F150 work truck, while it's much better than the Ford Remote Access App it's still a far cry from the On* App.

Well has anyone seen evidence of this being offered for sale yet?

I purposely didn't buy the DL3Z-19A390-B RMU a few months back as I was hoping to wait for newer and better technology.
The RMU is listed as being discontinued, but they were plentiful on ebay under $200 a few months ago. Now it seems they are not available at the lower price point they once were...

I wish someone with access to the information could share the pinout schematic of the RMU plug that plugs into the VSS.
Looks like black, green, white, yellow, red, orange? What is the pinout and what are the functions of the wires?

RMU remote access module connector pinout

Ford’s new SmartLink connected upgrade for older vehicles will be available mid-2018

Ford is finally detailing availability of its FordPass SmartLink accessory, an OBD II plug-in device with Verizon 4G LTE on board which can add connected car features to model year 2010 to 2017 Ford vehicles that don’t already have native connectivity built in.

The FordPass accessory will be available across the U.S. sometime in the middle of this year, with dealer enrolment now open. Dealers will provide the device to end users, providing installation for the add-on hardware, which will then cost users $16.99 per month for 24 months to get telematics services including remote key fob (via smartphone), car location and vehicle health alerts. The Verizon 4G LTE hotspot feature is an additional cost, but users will get a free trial for 30 days or until they reach 1GB of data usage.

This is a way for Ford to build up its data business even on existing vehicles out in the market, even while it also aims to have 100 percent of its new car lineup shipping with connectivity built-in by next year. Data is the new oil, so to speak, when it comes to the automaker value chain, and having as many customers as possible feeding that funnel is the best way for car companies and anyone in transportation to prepare for the future.

On the consumer side, the value proposition is a bit more questionable. Owners of older vehicles are probably less likely to value connected features, and the ones that are included with the base $17 per month subscription fee over the course of two years (so $408 in total) include nice-to-have, but definitely not essential benefits. The Wi-Fi hotspot is the real carrot, but it’s an additional cost in monthly data service over and above the base fee.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
...This was on Yahoo and some comments are hilarious...

Seth
11 hours ago
Will it work on my 72 Maverick?

Kman
10 hours ago
How about the replacement airbag I've been waiting on for 2 years Ford...nah, probably right...WiFi is a better idea

Has anyone purchased this yet and plugged it in? Install is so easy from what I've seen. How is the app? Curious before spending the money.

Way too expensive, take rate will be low.

The hardware may be cheaper but do they offer the support of the other vendor (which is free with the purchase). I am going to guess not. Someone would need to check with them for sure.

BTW not advocating for one vendor or another. It’s just nice that they spell everything out and offer to answer other questions rather than just using the generic parts listing offering it for sale. I read one horror story that someone bought one from Tasca who said they would support it, then when it came to install and setting it up they had no clue what to do. The buyer had to send it back.

Onstar charges. Actually more $$ than ford.

Man, that is PRICY for what amounts to a virtual lock/unlock button with geo location. Easy pass.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remote start rocks. Especially when it’s really cold or really hot out.

Back