2017 XLT. The door keypad lights are blinking. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 XLT. The door keypad lights are blinking.

S Davis

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
I walked out of the house this morning and noticed the number pad on my car blinking. The senor dot at the top was flashing erratically and the numbers were flashing also. I tried resetting with the fob, without the fob. Open and closed every door. Turned the engine on and off. Checked all the settings (sync is not updating either), still shows 2.2 when the 2.3 is out - sync can't find it. What is happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I walked out of the house this morning and noticed the number pad on my car blinking. The senor dot at the top was flashing erratically and the numbers were flashing also. I tried resetting with the fob, without the fob. Open and closed every door. Turned the engine on and off. Checked all the settings (sync is not updating either), still shows 2.2 when the 2.3 is out - sync can't find it. What is happening?
You can try removing and reinstalling fuse #10 in the cabin fuse box. It is listed as being for the Securicode™ keyless entry keypad and Hands free liftgate. Another thing you can try if you don't wish to crawl under the dash is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes before reconnecting it. This will also result in some save memory being deleted.
Are you waiting for Sync to automatically update (WIFI) to V2.3? I tried that route when on V2.0 and it never found it. Best to go to your account and download it from there if it shows as an available update. That is what I ended up doing. Good luck

Peter

You can try removing and reinstalling fuse #10 in the cabin fuse box. It is listed as being for the Securicode™ keyless entry keypad and Hands free liftgate. Another thing you can try if you don't wish to crawl under the dash is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes before reconnecting it. This will also result in some save memory being deleted.
Are you waiting for Sync to automatically update (WIFI) to V2.3? I tried that route when on V2.0 and it never found it. Best to go to your account and download it from there if it shows as an available update. That is what I ended up doing. Good luck

Peter

I tried downloading the update, but the computer just buffered for almost an hour. I'll try the fuse - thanks.

Was the keypad wet at all? Rain or condensation?

Well, it's not the outside of the drivers door and I live in Washington state - so yes, it's wet most of the time. However, one thing happened the other day when I was washing it. The passenger side would lock and unlock when I moved the brush over it. My hands were at least 3+ feet away from the handle. So now I'm even more worried. I have an appointment to take the vehicle in next Tuesday. Getting to the fuse box is going to be a hassle. I need the back door so I really can't just pull it. And now I have to go and buy some 3 pronged fuses - where do these people come up with these crazy ideas?

I don't have any condensation inside the vehicle. I've noticed how nice it is inside unlike my other car. In fact I haven't had a new vehicle in a very long time. My other explorer was a 2001 with 294, 000 miles on it. Only reason I couldn't keep it was the lack of room for 3 car seats. I'm almost regretting my decision to buy a new car.

It is strange that the passenger side locked/unlocked when washing over the Securicode pad. It may indicate a possible short or grounding issue. The doors should only do that when pressing 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time. I suggest taking it back to the dealer to it looked at especially if you are still under warranty.

Peter

Well, it's not the outside of the drivers door and I live in Washington state - so yes, it's wet most of the time. However, one thing happened the other day when I was washing it. The passenger side would lock and unlock when I moved the brush over it. My hands were at least 3+ feet away from the handle. So now I'm even more worried. I have an appointment to take the vehicle in next Tuesday. Getting to the fuse box is going to be a hassle. I need the back door so I really can't just pull it. And now I have to go and buy some 3 pronged fuses - where do these people come up with these crazy ideas?

I don't have any condensation inside the vehicle. I've noticed how nice it is inside unlike my other car. In fact I haven't had a new vehicle in a very long time. My other explorer was a 2001 with 294, 000 miles on it. Only reason I couldn't keep it was the lack of room for 3 car seats. I'm almost regretting my decision to buy a new car.

The car wash experience is typical of a Ford with Intelligent Access...its NORMAL. You had your fob in your pocket I bet.

Spray water onthe numbered keypad and it will light up as well. Water acts just like a finger touching it. That is why I asked if it has rained or had condensation on the keypad. That will cause it to light.

Watch out for the lift gate opening while you wash it with the fob in your pocket. That happened my first time washing it with my feet right under the automatic sensor as I was reaching the roof with my brush ;)

Any update on this issue?

Here is a possible fix for a blinking/flashing securicode keypad.

Peter

Back