How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Is there anyone that has figured out how to use an electric transfer case?
Yes, several members have. Aaron was maybe the first, and his thread is linked to early in this one, for details of the drive shafts needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the electric shift 4406 for a while, but im in a sport and the harness for the 4405 is still there from when it was a V6 , all i had to do was put the GEM from the V6 back in and its a little more work on the front gas tank mount but it worked fine

If you are AWD and the harness isn't under the truck already (I assume it wouldn't be), the wiring should already be underneath the driver's seat, currently unused. You just need to get the extension/ pigtail from a 4x4 truck at the junk yard for the electric shift transfer case wiring. After you change out the GEM behind the radio, it is plug and play.

Here ya go!! Here it is bolted to my tranny. I did some dressing up after this pic but it shows the bolts. You can look under your tranny and you will see the two places it bolts to. May have to clean them out I had to clean one out was full of dirt. Yellow arrows show what ones they are.

View attachment 54532

Anyone know what size the 2 bolts holing the linkage on are?

Wouldnt it be easier to just use the electric controled transfer case. So all i would have to do is get the pigtail from the truck I am getting to transfer case from what other wiring would I have to get to be able to install it. Does anyone have a link to what i would have to do step by step to install an electric bw4406 into my 97 explorer 5.0 awd with the 4r70w in it?

Yet another T-Cases to mount to the V8 Thread

Have to use a a Sport gas tank, unless someone has bent theirs in somehow.
That's the first and most thorough BW4406 swap thread for the TOD version. His was a 97 also, and I don't recall if he had all of the 4WD power wires that are needed.

Read that thread carefully, about the wiring. The short harness which plugs into the shift motor, is very easy to install, it's maybe 20" long or so. That's no trouble, the concern for my 98 and any 98-01, is if the rest of the 4WD wires are in the 302 truck wiring. I think I'll have to add a couple, which are in all of the 4WD V6 trucks with the BW4405 case. Nobody else has detailed how the wiring went with a 302 truck from 98-01. There were major changes from 97 to 98, huge changes, and it seems the 96/97's might have all of the 4WD wiring in the 302 trucks.

I'm the one that has said the gas tank from a 91-94 might work in the 2nd gen's. I have my old 93 tank, and this Spring will try to graft the 98 fuel pump assembly into the 93 tank. If it will seal, then the tank will work. The 1st gen plastic tanks are shorter than the later steel tanks. The old 22 gallon tank is exactly the same length as the 17 gallon 95-01 Sport tank. The front tank mount bracket has to be moved back for the shift motor. The center strap mount is the same for all tanks from 1st and 2nd gen's.

I am in the middle of the 4406 man swap. Had my front seats out and noticed an unused plug. Is that the one you’re talking about?

BC67CA73-580C-478D-B1A0-F8735D779981.jpeg

That looks like the one. It's behind/below the front seat, and there should be two holes in the floor. Your picture shows one hole, the other is for the 4WD harness to go through.

Okay so I read the firs 13 pages of this but didn't find any answers to the speed sensor issue. On my 96, has there been anyone figured out how to do this swap and still have a speedometer? My motor is almost ready to be picked up and finished and this will be my next project but only if the vs is figured out for the 96 models. I may have just missed the answer or it way be between page 14 and 20 and if so just point me to the page. Thanks guys.

if you get a 4406 with a speed sensor make sure its a gear driven sensor like the one in your 96 , the most common speed sensor you will find is a hall effect , thats what i had and i was able to swap the parts , there is a thread on here that talks about doing this

If you get a 4406 from a similar year F150 or Expedition, you will have the correct gear driven speed sensor. Just look in the tail shaft for the same speed sensor that is in your current transfer case. All of these different model transfer cases used the same speedo sensor. I have a 96 Explorer with a 97 F150 transfer case.

Transfer Case Indicator Lights Hookup
(snip)

11. To wire the relay, find a 12v positive source. The wire for the cigar lighter comes from the GEM and will work for this. Wire the relay as follows-

12v + to the 85 post

Connect the wire from the transfer case that comes on when in 4 low to the 86 post

Connect the wire from the transfer case that comes on when in 4 high to the 30 post

Connect a wire from the 87a post to the wire that goes to the 4 high light

12. Connect the wire from the case that comes on when in 4 low to the wire that goes to the 4 low dash light.

The way this works is, the ground from the 4 low signal trips the relay, cutting the signal to the 4 high light. The 4 high light now only works when in 4 high.

shift_lights_012_Medium_.jpg

Thats it, put the radio and bezel back and your done!
I threw together an image of the wiring as described by MountaineerGreen so this would be easier to keep track of while I was in the truck throwing things together. Attached below in case anybody else can make use of it...

Transfer case wiring.png

Having trouble finding Bolt N605907-S301 that attaches 7210 upper shift lever to 7210 lower shift lever any suggestions?

Is this the single bolt that attaches the shift lever that you'd grab onto the linkage under the body? If so, you should be able to match up something compatible at any hardware store.

Is this the single bolt that attaches the shift lever that you'd grab onto the linkage under the body? If so, you should be able to match up something compatible at any hardware store.
Thanks, that makes it easier. I found the part number in the thread but couldn't find the bolt at the junk yard or on line. I thought I had read it was a shoulder bolt with a nylon bushing?

Can you take a picture to clarify which bolt location you need?

Anyone on here used the dorman 600-603 lower control lever for the linkage? It looks similar to the pics on here but not exactly the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered a 600-603 few hours ago so I'll have an answer in a few days if nobody else does sooner.

Should it be reasonably easy to move the transfer case from 2wd through 4low by hand at the arm right on the case? I can't seem to get anything but 4low and neutral.

Back