Completed Project - Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Yes. Our winter has been very mild so far. I guess I'll be pulling the engine from the Explorer to stud the heads next week. The 331 stroker was sold before I got to the guys house. Pretty bummed about that but a 302 will meet my needs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea, you could very well be saving yourself a ton of misery by sticking with your known good motor.

yea, you could very well be saving yourself a ton of misery by sticking with your known good motor.

but whats the fun in that???

Good stuff, I love the creativity and thought that goes into that. Well thought out, keep at it.

Thanks everyone. I put in an order last night for rocker arms, catch can, -10 bulkhead fitting for the turbo drain, and valve covers. Next will be the rest of the turbo stuff and battery box. Hopefully I'll have everything I need within a week or two because I'm pulling the Engine at the end of the week.

Minor update.
I started the teardown on the 5.0 yesterday.
It'll be getting new gaskets, rockers, pushrods and studs soon. While I was working on it I did some quick measuring and realized just how small the Engine bay of an explorer is.
To get the turbo mounted in the Engine bay, I'll have to
1: relocate the battery (already planned that)
2: run an electric fan (that's fine)
3: run -16 an upper coolant line to avoid the downpipe.()
4: find a front induction scoop that is short enough for the small hood and wide enough to cover the downpipe.()
5: relocate the oil filter so crossover pipe from pass. side has clearance.

I realize now that I haven't explained the layout. Next post will be a very crude drawing.

Top view of the engine. The red line is the downpipe. It goes from the turbo, over the pass. side header and down to the exhaust. The green lines are the driver side header and crossover pipe from the pass side to driver side.

I'm sure it's easy to understand when you have such a masterpiece for reference. Lol

IMG_20180203_021326.jpg

As simple as a turbo sounds, not not easy to find room for all that piping. It does look like a nice layout, with the hot side wrapped hopefully you wont have issues with stuff melting. Getting down pipes thru the frame rail beside the motor is soooo tight.

To externally mount the oil filter, remove the entire filter adapter, and change the block adapter threads. The Explorer uses a metric thread(there might be a metric block adapter(two THP ports)), and the normal 3/4-16 adapter is what most block adapters are made for).

Have you guys looked at using exhaust piping for the turbo down pipes, those are made in oval versions too, say a 3" oval pipe, might fit easier in some spaces?

To externally mount the oil filter, remove the entire filter adapter, and change the block adapter threads. The Explorer uses a metric thread(there might be a metric block adapter(two THP ports)), and the normal 3/4-16 adapter is what most block adapters are made for).

Have you guys looked at using exhaust piping for the turbo down pipes, those are made in oval versions too, say a 3" oval pipe, might fit easier in some spaces?

Dang! What a great idea. Oval/flat exhaust pipe would probably work great. I'll definitely look into it. Appreciate it

As simple as a turbo sounds, not not easy to find room for all that piping. It does look like a nice layout, with the hot side wrapped hopefully you wont have issues with stuff melting. Getting down pipes thru the frame rail beside the motor is soooo tight.

I'm hoping to avoid melting stuff. I've already relocated what wiring I could. The only thing I worry about is that alternator.

Update!! Engine is about to come out so I can install the turbo drain fitting in the oil pan. I'll also gap the rings, port the heads and install roller rockers.
I figured I should check header clearance before I got too far.
Passenger header just clears the shock mount. Driver header has lots of room after I put a couple of u-joints on the steering shaft. I've had to redesign my turbo layout due to space constraints. It will now be mounted on the passenger side with a 3" downpipe on passenger side. Still a long way to go but I'm pretty stoked.

IMG_20180215_165947.jpg

The above pic is not how the turbo will sit. I just wanted to throw it on there just to see it.

That steering shaft won't be to much of a problem.

IMG_20180215_180824.jpg

Mocking up my hot side with some scrap pipe. I should be able to finish up the mockup on Sunday. I'll update as I go.

IMG_20180215_231831.jpg

I'll be running electric fans of course.

do you have anything to shield the heat from the turbos, or get any of the hot air out, or are you planning on adding a cowl hood, or vents?

do you have anything to shield the heat from the turbos, or get any of the hot air out, or are you planning on adding a cowl hood, or vents?
Yeah. I'm using a turbo and downpipe blanket and wrapping the headers and crossover pipe. I'm working on getting a hood scoop from a 2015 gt500 mustang and forming it to the explorer hood.

UPDATE***
Nearly finished with the mockup! And the hood shuts.
I'll have a side mount intercooler in the old battery location.

IMG_20180225_053052.jpg

IMG_20180225_054927.jpg

IMG_20180225_054936.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my new air to water intercooler kit today. Too big for under hood unless I do an abs delete. I'll probably mount it in the back. Who knows. I'm always changing my mind.

IMG_20180226_224125.jpg

Back