302 carb swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 carb swap

Well i got a little bit done this weekend not what i wanted but i made a dent in it. My teenage daughter wanted to hang out and when your a dad with a teenage daughter you take full advantage of that. So what i was able to get done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got her up in the air to start pulling bolts when i noticed the bottom trans bolts were gone to my absolute suprise the only thing bolted to this transmission was the starter and fly wheel. Made removal so much easier...
20180127_092952.jpg

I got lazy and just cut the exhaust so it was out of my way and started draining fluid while i was waiting for that i started to inspect other things
20180127_083509.jpg

Noticed a pretty decent mess at the cooler for now im just going to clean it up and put fresh clamps on the hoses.
20180127_080715.jpg

Ok currently it will not let me upload anymore photos keeps saying error so im going to try again in a bit

Ok currently it will not let me upload anymore photos keeps saying error so im going to try again in a bit

I get that some times also. What I did is shrink the Photos and it works great.

Can not believe you had NOTHING holding that tans in besides Starter and Fly Wheel and Trans mount bolts. Glad you got under her to get things started. Did you driver her at all like that?

No i wasnt driving it like that. The previous owner had a reman engine put in at another shop ( see oil filter ) she said it lasted about 6 months so who knows how long they were driving like that!

View attachment 154648

I couldnt get two pictures to upload the other tech has our trans jack i couldnt find it. So in the other two pictures it was me trying to work it down with pole jacks lmao

After a few minutes i just said owell and let it all fall to the ground. It made a small mess didnt hurt anything i was suprised
20180127_114344.jpg

I primed the engine while it was on the hoist. As you can see from the oil pan it was school bus yellow
20180128_101752.jpg

A little closer view of pretty parts lol
20180128_101804.jpg

A nice fresh coat orange
20180128_151327.jpg

Side view after intake,waterpump,and carb

20180128_151440.jpg

And last one for now. Still waiting on mt bronze gear, tps sensor, flywheel,starter,and oil pan, im using some old ugly valve covers i had in the basement for now.. i also put on the old headers they were too ugly so im ordering some. Ill pull the 4.0 out next weekend and start putting in the 302. Until then im going to tear apart the wire harness and make it look real nice ... once we get into the instalation stages pictures and things i run into will be more detailed

20180128_151434.jpg

What cam is in that again, it's a roller right? The distributor needs a steel gear for almost all 302 roller cams.

Might want to hold off on those headers. The only ‘manufactured’ headers to fit a v8 in an Explorer are the TorqueMonsters. There was a knock off and FMS headers, I believe, but finding either will be tough.

I ordered a set of OE headers the ones i had were original,crusty, and one had a crack in it. The OE headers will work for now until we get going then my buddy is going to take the vehicle and make headers for it at no cost to me. He has been learning how to make headers so he needs the practice. I cant remember the cam we put that in years and years and years ago it was pretty aggressive. The motor was only in the car for a few weeks before the car got rolled over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if that is a flat tappet cam leave the gear on the dist the brass one will just wear ou faster
roscoe

Back