• Register Today It's free!

This might be a stupid question

XltRoger2003

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 limited v8
Like the title says so here goes what mods can be done without the need forma tune????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like the title says so here goes what mods can be done without the need forma tune????
Cold air intake, wheel and tire setup, new exhaust, get a built front or rear end with lockers, I know I'm missing many things weight reduction like losing a spare tire along with a few things can help get up and go

I thought I read on here somewhere that the cai and exhaust needed a tune for best performance is that not right??? And thanks for the reply XLTyler83

Your correct, you should tune after any intake/exhaust mods.

UDP and electric fan dont require tuning.

So if I go with a 70mm throttle body and a cai and a 70mm maf then I would have to have a tune for max benefit but would those mods still help or should I say improve performance without a tune??? And how much HP would it give with and without a tune??? sorry for the questions like these but I was told today that I would see about 30 HP increase without doing any exhaust by a ford mechanic

The exhaust on these things is extremely restrictive. From the 3rd cat back it's 2.25" exhaust. We have the exact same motor as a police interceptor and mustang gt except for the aluminum block. Reason we have 20 less HP is tune and single exhaust vs dual exhaust for the interceptor and mustang.

Thanks Joe in NY for the info and I think I'm going replace the cats on it anyway so might as well go duel exhaust I'm just waiting on money to come in for the parts and some of the work the other work I'll do myself,, another question is, is the a complete dual exhaust kit on the market all I have found were singles with side output or standard and where would the best place for the cai,tb,maf, and tuner

Is there any of these parts come factory on any other vehicle so I might go to junk yard to get??

I wouldn’t bother with the intake. Before any bolt ons I’d make sure all my fluids were fresh synthetics.

Planed on it Mbrooks420 but thanks for the reply

No intake will yield 30hp. Without a fair amount of expense and custom tuning it’s hard to make a lot of power from the 4.0.

It's not the 4.0 it's the 4.6 and for some odd reason all I can find is exhaust and a cai, no 70mm maf or throttle body to go with it,oh I found the sct tuner for it too

That’s probably because it doesn’t need a larger MAF or throttle body. ‘Cold air intakes’ are gimmicks and BS. How on earth you expect to get ‘cold air’ from inside the hot engine bay is nonsensical. People like them because they give you more intake noise and it sounds more powerful. The 4.6 is probably more bottlenecked by the exhaust, than from the intake.

Not saying anything bad but why do so so so many people believe in them and swear by them (cai,maf,tb) , they even say dyno shows it helps too

The tune is probably more responsible for the better numbers, along with a higher flow filter. Most dyno runs are done with the hood open.

Oohhhh I see thanks for the info

Realistically, any engine mod that allows more air to flow into it needs a tune for maximum benefit. The factory parameters will only adjust for so much. Comments above about a "cold air" intake are correct; the absolute best you can hope for is a few degrees above ambient temperature, and that's only while you're moving. This can be verified with an OBD scanner that will report the air intake temp from the PCM (I've done this many times). They will flow *more* air, not *cooler* air.

Because the engines are so similar, many upgrades for 1999-2004 Mustangs can be adapted to work. Trick Flow has a 70 and 75mm throttle body that will bolt on, and their intake kits can be made to work (though it's NOT easy). There are a lot of camshaft options available, and if you're willing to tear deep enough into the engine, porting and polishing the heads yields good results. Check out my Registry thread to see what I've done to mine (link in signature).

So adding a Taylor helix power tower throttle body spacer or a 160$ jet mass airflow sensor (300$ roughly for both) woupd these two upgrades yield noticeable results? Just had a brand new throttle body put on a couple weeks ago, how would a throttle body spacer affect it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't know anything about the spacers (I've generally heard more neutral/negative than positive), but the MAF change will absolutely require a tune. The MAF is the one thing I haven't touched on mine, as I don't see a need for it. It may yield a benefit, but you'll be in worse shape until you're tuned for it.

Back