• Register Today It's free!

clock spring 01 explorer Sport

Onetirefire

Reaction score
City, State
Princeton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I am in need of a Clock Spring for my 2002 explorer and I don't really want to spend $200 on a new one.
I was if anyone knows if the clock spring from an 01 sport is the same? If it's not does anyone have one they can sell?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I see, the 2001 clock spring will not work with a 2002. (1998-2001 are the same, 2002-2005 are the same). If you like the price on the one below, you'd better snap it up, or try a local salvage yard.

not to but heads, but i am not sure if that is true. i had to replace the one on my 98. couldnt find a 98 if my life depended on it. i had contacted russ at bandit customs. what he had told me was all second gen (including 01-03 sports) are the same as long as they dont have steering wheel controls on them (radio/heater). if you have the controls in your steering wheel, you would need one that had them in them also. i went to the scrap yard and got one from i think a 2000 and it worked. as long as the brown connector is the same where it plugs in under the dash, it will work.

not to but heads, but i am not sure if that is true. i had to replace the one on my 98. couldnt find a 98 if my life depended on it. i had contacted russ at bandit customs. what he had told me was all second gen (including 01-03 sports) are the same as long as they dont have steering wheel controls on them (radio/heater). if you have the controls in your steering wheel, you would need one that had them in them also. i went to the scrap yard and got one from i think a 2000 and it worked. as long as the brown connector is the same where it plugs in under the dash, it will work.

Well IDK, I'm just going by what I see on RockAuto and Ebay. They don't make make any mention of different clock springs other than the Gen I vs Gen II, but I can understand where they'd be different if you have the steering wheel mounted controls.

the steering wheel does looks the same except colour. The same cruse control buttons on both sides.

Well IDK, I'm just going by what I see on RockAuto and Ebay. They don't make make any mention of different clock springs other than the Gen I vs Gen II, but I can understand where they'd be different if you have the steering wheel mounted controls.
@koda2000
A good trick would be to design a large enough center of the column circular assembly which did not rotate with the steering shaft. Stands still, wheel rotates around it, wiring needs no rotating contacts or clocksprings. Whether a bag could be worked in is another matter.

Some mid-late '50s Ford luxury models, I think Mercury Turnpike Cruiser and most (maybe all) Edsels had the transmission selector buttons centrally located as I described. The did not rotate. imp

The correct answer is no, a clockspring from an '01 Sport will not work in a 4 dr Explorer of any year, even when the airbags look like they would interchange. The '01-03 2dr Sports and the '01-05 Sport Tracs use a different connector for the air bag than the 4 dr Explorers. I discovered and confirmed this as I searched for both an airbag for my '01 ST, and a clockspring for my '02 ST when I was adding cruise control to it. I don't remember which is which, but one connector is brown, and the other is gray, and they do not interchange. Some later Rangers ('06? +) supposedly use the same clockspring as the Sports and STs, but I can't confirm that.

The clocksprings are different within the model depending on whether you have cruise control or not.

I have 2 closksprings set in my garage with no home - I will write down the pns and post them. I am not sure about the fitment.

I have two PNs - wrote them down and didn't bring in the PNS.

Niether look like the one koda posted in his thread.

I think that if you only have cruise control in your steering wheel it will work.

Let's figure out how you can buy one from me. I am sure we can work it out.

Beware that if you are troubleshooting the cruise control it is tied into your horn fuse.

The clockspring in the ebay ad above is NOT the correct one for an '01 2dr Sport. That one fits the 4dr and probably earlier 2dr Sports.
The part 3 for an '01 2dr Sport WITH cruise control is 1L5T-14A664-AB. The plug for the airbag (smallest in the photo) needs to be gray, not brown as the one in the ebay ad. Totally different plugs. I should have dug out my old parts earlier and found the correct part #. Sorry.

429 - you would know those parts better than I.

If I was in a pinch I would use the existing connector for the truck and put the replacement wires in the existing connector. I am not sure what is broken with onetirefires closkspring.

I'm not 100% sure either, but my horn does not work and my airbag light stays on after blinking when I first start it. I have check and changed all fuses and replays. I also put in a new cluster in the dash(my airbag light was) so I'm thinking it has to be clock spring.

My cruise quit working and it was BC a fuse was blowing - it all turned out to be a shorting horn. That why I ended up with the clocksprings. Make sure you understand the entire circuit and eliminate the other issues before going to the clockspring.

With another part I might switch or splice the wires into the existing connector, but I don't think it's worth the risk of the airbag going off.

I've gotten confused on which vehicle we're trying to fix, but what I've said is correct. I don't know the part # for the 2002 Explorer, but it isn't the same as the 2001 Sport.

With the conditions you are describing, yes you need a clockspring. If the airbag has ever been activated, the clockspring is destroyed and neither the horn or cruise control will work. At least that's what I found on my Sport Trac. A new clockspring fixed the horn and cc. Of course it could have failed for reasons other than the airbag going off. My airbag light is still on because there's a module that needs reset or replaced, so I didn't hook up the "new" airbag I put in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And FYI, if the airbag light in the dash burns out, you will get an annoying beep pattern for the first minute or two after you start the vehicle. It will stop after several cycles.

Back