Jurassic Park...The SUV! | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jurassic Park...The SUV!

Alright so some of you know Ive been painting my truck the last week, and I was going to wait to show it off at T-haven...But I know you all can't wait and I'm to proud of my hard work:D

So here are some pictures I took with my cell phone.

JP_Truck_High.jpg

JP_Truck_Side.jpg

Still have more to do, need to remount the front bumper, wetsand the whole truck and put on the JP logos when they get here..

The entire paint job was done using a $10 air sprayer from Harbor Freight and Rustoleum paint. The green I actually custom made, as no color was available like that.;)

Here is the original...in case you forgot:p:
(dead link)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am debating on a rear locker for my truck. I have been driving it more and more on the pavement. I need to get the welded diff out. I am leaning towards either a Detroit or a Yukon Grizzly.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I would do a Detroit, but then I have to reset up the gears, which ads to the cost and down time. Doesn't make sence for me.

All back together. They changed the design a bit on the locker. It looks like the sides are interchangeable now as both sides have c clip slots. This means I may be able to keep my old lockers non broken side as a spare.:thumbsup:

No buano:(

Locker works, but lots of clunky when it engages. I'll have to wait till the weekend to play with it more.

That sucks man. The ls carriers are kinda famous for breaking in half, so I would keep that in mind. When mine broke it put a huge hole in the diff cover and locked both wheels solid.

Also, I might be late on this but you can probably get parts from west coast differentials. I have rebuilt a few lockers that way.

The shock load from the breaking shaft is probably what broke your locker. Detroits have a reputation for this too. I killed a front Detroit locker that way once when I broke a front shaft.

Got the locker working. :thumbsup:

Now I have to deal with broken upper shock mount in the rear:confused:

Wakin up a thread here. Sweet X man. Now all you gotta do is put a 13 inch CRT tv in the center with an interactive CD-ROM and make a track so the thing can drive itself lol. O and don't forget to put locking mechanisms on the doors. All in all top notch ride

Wakin up a thread here. Sweet X man. Now all you gotta do is put a 13 inch CRT tv in the center with an interactive CD-ROM and make a track so the thing can drive itself lol. O and don't forget to put locking mechanisms on the doors. All in all top notch ride
You seem to have forgotten that this JP is the extended tour model, it doesn't ride on tracks! As the tribute to it in Jurassic World clearly shows, look for it's number.

All right just don't flip it over a T-rex might come step on it and chew a tire off

So started working on this again trying to get it ready for truckhaven. I mean it's probably smart to make sure Plan A works before worrying about Plan B:rolleyes:

Replaced the battery under warranty as it was dead. Fixed some wiring that was an issue on some things (which killed the battery)

I'm going through the front suspension right now, greasing everything and installing "the cure" from ruff stuff. I've always had a problem with the steering where I can turn farther to the right then the left. In fact the knuckle bump stop bolt never touchs on one side. I've just always assumed that the steering box was maxed out, and I didn't center the pitman arm or something like that. Looking more at it today, I noticed something I've never noticed sense we built this thing. The pitman arm hits the track bar, preventing it from fully rotating.:eek:. This is a design flaw in the build, and I'm not really sure how to fix it, except maybe build a new track bar.

I just can't believe this is the first time I've noticed.:banghead:

🕸 .... should dust these off here...

Battery = ☠. Will not hold a charge. It was warranty replacement for one that died before. Only 2 years old.

Fuel Pump = 🧟‍♂️ it will cycle, but that's it. Truck will not start without starting fluid.

At least I was smart enough to make the access easy in the future, which is clearly now. Two 19mm nuts (same as a lug nut) and up flips the rear seat to access the fuel pump panel.

20200620_131319.jpg
;)

Late night, working on vehicles ....one of my favorite past times. Everyone is a sleep and no one to bother me.

Replaced the fuel pump tonight, and with a substitute power supply, she started right up. :thumbsup:

Only bad news is I think I fried the gauge cluster, or at least the speedometer part. When trying to jump it a while back, it got a power surge starting and the speedometer went all the way around. May have to do a junkyard run and replace it in the future.

what the heck? Speedo gone wacko
That access is well done, super clean cut. I was so glad when I did my BII, have not dropped the tank since!!

Just saw your explorer on a college humor video! Glad to see it's still around!

Mine just came out of an 8 year storage slumber. Needed a new pump, and I cut the same access panel you showed above. Still had to undo the skid plate and straps, but I didn't need to completely drop the tank. = Worth it.

YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY SECOND GEN JURASSIC EXPLORER ! ! ..... Guy about a half mile from me has one! ! Just saw this a few weeks ago...got pics... Also in So Cal -- Orange county... not nearly as nice as yours--stock ...but.....
You two should hook up and caravan down the freeway...you'd get all kinds of looks / followers thinking your on your way to a movie shoot !

JUR 1.jpg

JUR 2.jpg

YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY SECOND GEN JURASSIC EXPLORER ! ! ..... Guy about a half mile from me has one! ! Just saw this a few weeks ago...got pics... Also in So Cal -- Orange county... not nearly as nice as yours--stock ...but.....
You two should hook up and caravan down the freeway...you'd get all kinds of looks / followers thinking your on your way to a movie shoot !

View attachment 324252

I've seen that before I swear california freeway must have been the same one....they stand out like a fireball or something.

I've seen that before I swear california freeway must have been the same one....they stand out like a fireball or something.
Well...I'll keep the "small world" thing going ..noticed your in Lompoc.....I did a telecom job in Lompoc yearssssssssss ago.... at Vanderberg Air Force base....what a lonnngg drive that was for me..... I'll never forget this part....every few miles there was (still is?) ANDERSON'S SPLIT PEA SOUP restaurant signs letting you know how many miles left to reach this place! ..like every 2 miles (there were like NO other signs around but this...very rural at the time) ...I mean I saw at least 10 different ones!...probably more!... drove me nuts! :)

Well...I'll keep the "small world" thing going ..noticed your in Lompoc.....I did a telecom job in Lompoc yearssssssssss ago.... at Vanderberg Air Force base....what a lonnngg drive that was for me..... I'll never forget this part....every few miles there was (still is?) ANDERSON'S SPLIT PEA SOUP restaurant signs letting you know how many miles left to reach this place! ..like every 2 miles (there were like NO other signs around but this...very rural at the time) ...I mean I saw at least 10 different ones!...probably more!... drove me nuts! :)
Omg yes lol small world lol yea from north and south they light them up at night....im like...pea soup? Again? Hmm well nobody took them down... Still no other signs lol yea and vafb is like telecommunications world record holder I swear everyone who works out there that's real big with them.

Back