2005 Sport Trac No Start- GOOD SPARK, GOOD FUEL????? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac No Start- GOOD SPARK, GOOD FUEL?????

Tim Heck

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac
I have a 2005 Sport Trac. Never had any issues with it. Went into the ditch yesterday, got pulled out, no start. Got towed home and started looking into it. Seemed to be my Inertia Switch, under the passenger side dash. Truck started right up, no issues. Drove it around last night, everything seemed fine, so I parked it. Went to start up this morning for work, NOTHING. It turns over, and over, and over.... but no indication of it wanting to fire. I am 99.9999% sure timing is perfect, I can hear my fuel pump kick on, and feel my relay click as the key is turned. I disconnected the spark plug wires and threw a new spark plug into them and I get spark at each plug. WTF!!?!?!?!?!? What am I missing??? Also, it is not the Neutral Safety Switch.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to help out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2005 Sport Trac. Never had any issues with it. Went into the ditch yesterday, got pulled out, no start. Got towed home and started looking into it. Seemed to be my Inertia Switch, under the passenger side dash. Truck started right up, no issues. Drove it around last night, everything seemed fine, so I parked it. Went to start up this morning for work, NOTHING. It turns over, and over, and over.... but no indication of it wanting to fire. I am 99.9999% sure timing is perfect, I can hear my fuel pump kick on, and feel my relay click as the key is turned. I disconnected the spark plug wires and threw a new spark plug into them and I get spark at each plug. WTF!!?!?!?!?!? What am I missing??? Also, it is not the Neutral Safety Switch.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to help out.
Check on passenger side of the door where you put your feet and pull side panel off .sounds like you tripped the fuel shut off switch if you went into the ditch

Inertia switch/fuel shut off switch are the same thing. Thank you though for the idea. Just need the right one now!! lol

As you know you have spark, to eliminate the possibility that your not getting fuel, try spraying starting fluid (about 2-3 seconds worth) into the throttle body and see if the engine will fire. With spark, fuel and timing it has to do something.

I want to break something. I went back outside, and I am unable to get spark now. But I can guarantee yesterday I had spark. I saw it with my own eyes, and shocked the beejesus out of my arm. But nothing. what next?

I want to break something. I went back outside, and I am unable to get spark now. But I can guarantee yesterday I had spark. I saw it with my own eyes, and shocked the beejesus out of my arm. But nothing. what next?

Spark is controlled by the crank position sensor (located near/on the crankshaft pulley). Perhaps something happened to it when you went into the ditch? Going from underneath wiggle the sensor's electrical connection to make sure it's making good contact.

Well I lied, I still have spark I was just unable to see it with the way the light is. I held onto the wire and shocked myself good so I know there is spark. Could it be the plugs themselves? I don't see how, but then again I don't see any other explanation. I am trying to find the right size spark plug socket, BUT OF COURSE I cant find anything! One thing after the other, eh?

Well I lied, I still have spark I was just unable to see it with the way the light is. I held onto the wire and shocked myself good so I know there is spark. Could it be the plugs themselves? I don't see how, but then again I don't see any other explanation. I am trying to find the right size spark plug socket, BUT OF COURSE I cant find anything! One thing after the other, eh?

Safe way to check for spark:
Take an old spark plug and your battery jumper cables. Clamp the spark plug in one end of the jumper cable. Clamp the other end of the jumper cable to the negative side of your battery. Pull off one plug wire (which ever is easiest to get at) and put it on the old plug. Crank the engine and look for the spark. Getting zapped with 60,000 volts is no joke. Be safe.

BTW - When testing for spark you should be seeing a very strong blue/white spark at your plugs.

Spark plugs are 5/8" socket size. Sometimes a spark plug socket is too fat to fit around heat shields and it's easier to is a standard 5/8" deep socket. I don't know why you would think the problem is all 6 of your spark plugs. More likely fuel or timing related. Did you try some staring fluid?

Tried starter fluid no go. I removed a plug and it was wet about 1/8" up the thread. Guessing she somehow flooded. FML. Going to take the rest out and clean them with a wire brush.

Next time you try to start it, if you hold your foot to the floor the fuel injectors will be shut off until you lift your foot off the accelerator. This may help if you're flooded, but it doesn't make any sense that you would be. Something is weird here.

That is what I am saying!! It doesn't make any sense, however having these spark plugs out and cleaning them can't hurt. I think. lol.

That is what I am saying!! It doesn't make any sense, however having these spark plugs out and cleaning them can't hurt. I think. lol.

While the plugs are out I'd do a compression test to make sure your valves are working.

I turned it over a few times and tested all the spark plugs. (With the jumper cable as suggested) Fuel came out of the spark plug holes, all of the spark plugs work properly. So I am thinking it must have been flooded somehow. Battery is charging right now, gonna go back out in a few to put back together and see what happens.

So I tried to start her back up, turned over for about 45 seconds with my foot to the floor and it started to fire, then died out. At this point the battery was too low and now I have to wait for it to charge up.... what the h3ll

I got her to start! ran fine about 5 minutes before I shut her off, then started her back up AND nothing. what am I doing wrong?? I kept trying to crank her over and nothing, I have her charging again right now and will check it in the morning. Until then, hopefully someone sees this and has an idea, because I am out of them.

All right, gave it one more go before bed. Its weird. It just cranks and cranks, but if I stop, then start back up, almost a little too fast to where there is a chance of messing up the starter but not quite, it fires. Doesn't start, but does fire. Ill be turning the key for about 10 seconds, turn it back then BAM as soon as it stops cranking I start it again and it wants to fire............... Anyone??

Spit in the fuel hose inside the tank, reducing pressure to fuel injectors. Note these splits can be very hard to see.

I really don't know, but I'm beginning to think maybe fuel pump related too based on your latest experience. It's weird though, because you found your spark plugs to be wet at one point and it wouldn't kick on starting fluid. Without checking fuel pressure, which can be difficult to do depending on where Ford decided to hide the Shrader valve on your year (mines up against the fire wall in an almost impossible position). Is it just coincidence that this started after you went into the ditch? It seems like it must somehow be related. How hard did the truck come to a stop when it hit the ditch? Apparently hard enough to trip the inertia switch. Have you tried testing and resetting the inertia switch a couple of times? I've read about bad/burnt contacts at the plug to the inertia switch, but I don't believe this is a common problem.

What is known?
You say you have spark every time you've tested
We know the engine is capable of running, so not TC related
We know the engine is sucking in air (right?)

Believing the above seems to only leave something fuel related.

Just for giggles, you could try disconnecting the computer (10 mm bolt on harness plug) and re-seating the plug. Also unplug the inertia switch and check the electrical terminals. Dropping the tank is a PITA and would be a jump w/out knowing fuel pressure at the rail.

Other than the above suggestions, I'm stumped. When my '97 started doing this it turned out to be spark related. I was sure it was the fuel pump (which was original with over 260,000 miles on it) but after replacing it it still won't start and I traced the problem to an intermittent crank position sensor connection. A starting fluid test would have verified this (not that changing the fuel pump was a bad idea considering the number of miles on the truck). It's also strange that you couldn't get your engine to do anything on starting fluid. That makes be think intermittent spark.

I'm out of ideas. Spark? Fuel? something is missing.

This no start thread is intriguing, yet baffling to say the least. I realize it started and ran after the tow, but it hasn't run since. I know you reset the fuel shut-off (inertia) switch, and haven't mentioned touching other fuses. No mention of a rapid flashing (PATS) theft light either. Real long shot here, but just by chance, check the PCM fuse #19 in the passenger compartment fuse panel that caused 429CJ's starting issues in the thread below. Crossing fingers and watching, good luck.

Solved - 2001 Sport Trac - no crank

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This no start thread is intriguing, yet baffling to say the least. I realize it started and ran after the tow, but it hasn't run since. I know you reset the fuel shut-off (inertia) switch, and haven't mentioned touching other fuses. No mention of a rapid flashing (PATS) theft light either. Real long shot here, but just by chance, check the PCM fuse #19 in the passenger compartment fuse panel that caused 429CJ's starting issues in the thread below. Crossing fingers and watching, good luck.

Solved - 2001 Sport Trac - no crank

Steve, for what it's worth, I believe the OP said it got it to run (at least briefly) last night. See post #15.

Back