3rd generation rear wheel bearing alternate approach | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd generation rear wheel bearing alternate approach

bansheerider064

Reaction score
City, State
derry new hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 explorer xlt 4.0
I havent seen any posts on this so I figured i would share so I found I had a bad rear drivers side wheel bearing. Since the person who owned it before me must have launched a boat frequently in salt water my cv axle nut had deteriorated along with the outer part of the shaft so I could not remove the axle nut so there for I could not remove the rear hub. I found that if you replace the whole knuckle you avoid having to get the bearing pressed out for me it was 100 bucks more for the complete knuckle with bearing and hub complete ready to put in vs 100 bearing only plus having to get it pressed out which wasn't an option for me. Over all I felt this was easier than just replacing the bearing. Just rip the old out and put the new in you have to take the knuckle out either way

20180206_112220.jpg
20180206_112214.jpg
20180206_112207.jpg
20180206_112205.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I havent seen any posts on this so I figured i would share so I found I had a bad rear drivers side wheel bearing. Since the person who owned it before me must have launched a boat frequently in salt water my cv axle nut had deteriorated along with the outer part of the shaft so I could not remove the axle nut so there for I could not remove the rear hub. I found that if you replace the whole knuckle you avoid having to get the bearing pressed out for me it was 100 bucks more for the complete knuckle with bearing and hub complete ready to put in vs 100 bearing only plus having to get it pressed out which wasn't an option for me. Over all I felt this was easier than just replacing the bearing. Just rip the old out and put the new in you have to take the knuckle out either way
My right rear bearing was so seized in on my 2002 that we cracked the spindle or knuckle whatever you want to call it that with it in a 20 ton press it would not budge even after heating it with a torch. My truck is relatively rust free underneath, so I can imagine how bad it would be after launching boats in salt water. I did not see what year your truck is but if it is an early 2002 as mine is there is a difference in the tie rod size. We had to get a spindle from the junk yard and I did not know there was a difference and neither did the shop. After we had it installed we figured out that my truck was built one month before the change to a larger tie rod. Not a big deal, I just bought a new tie rod for the newer model and they installed it for free. Lesson learned for both of us. my truck was built in Feb of 2002 and the change was in March of 2002. Your actual build date in on the driver's side door jam on the sticker.

Mine is also a 2002, I did find that the build date depends on which spindle or knuckle needed. I got a complete moog knuckle it fit right in and everything else went right on with no problem

I thought that was a picture of a ship wreck and not a car.

So did you also check the right rear?

Is that mud in there, almost looks like flood damage.

Back