Adding emergency lights to explorer sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding emergency lights to explorer sport

CrashRecovery

Reaction score
City, State
Elkton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hey all, I might have missed this topic in my search so if I have please let me know and Ill use those threads for my info. I'm trying to outfit my sport with a few emergency lights since I am part of my fire departments fire police. I'm trying to keep it as stealth as possible so I do not draw attention when I'm not on a call. So that means hide-a-ways and interior lights. I have the interior lights covered. What i'm looking to do is add a set of Smaller feniex style led hide a ways into the rear tail light housing. Has anyone done this and has pictures of them? Or can someone point me in the direction of a thread where this was done. I've installed plenty of strobes and what not in the past but I'm trying to keep this as minimal as possible but still have the best 360 degree coverage of lights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all, I might have missed this topic in my search so if I have please let me know and Ill use those threads for my info. I'm trying to outfit my sport with a few emergency lights since I am part of my fire departments fire police. I'm trying to keep it as stealth as possible so I do not draw attention when I'm not on a call. So that means hide-a-ways and interior lights. I have the interior lights covered. What i'm looking to do is add a set of Smaller feniex style led hide a ways into the rear tail light housing. Has anyone done this and has pictures of them? Or can someone point me in the direction of a thread where this was done. I've installed plenty of strobes and what not in the past but I'm trying to keep this as minimal as possible but still have the best 360 degree coverage of lights.

Can I make a suggestion you don't touch anything until you review this Ford Upfitters Guide?

Ford Truck Body Builder Advisory Service

All the lighting manufacturers make some great stuff, we had an issue with Feniex lights leaking on several installs so we switched to Sound Off and have had no issues.

360deg ...hmmm...rooftop mag mount gumball lights :thumbsup:..ya I couldn't resist

signalstat381.jpg

I've seen that and downloaded it. I'm trying to keep from drilling holes to exterior. I've considered using the rear flasher module as well. Does anyone know if the speed turtle will work on the 15s? The site says 16, 17, 18 is supported right now.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I found this thread with my search. Hope it might be of help. 2016 Explorer Hideaway Bulbs / LED's / Strobes

Peter

You might be able to get used taillights with OEM Whelen Vertex HAWs from a wrecked PIU, assuming the taillights are compatible and came with that option. At the very least, all PIU taillights will have the guide markings.

It's fairly easy to tell in the pre-16 PIUs if they have the headlamp lighting solution, it will be the rear, upper corner of the headlight lens (they're visible in my PIU in the photo thread on that subforum). If the headlamp lighting solution is in place, there's a reasonably good chance the vehicle was ordered "road-ready" or at least with the taillight package as well, and the HAWs might still be installed as well. They're much harder to see, even if you know what to look for and standing at the vehicle.

Thing is mine is a sport not a piu. I'm looking at hideaways in the turn signal part of the tail light housing. Front will be a set of whelen 500 series in the grill area and at least one dual head led dash light at the top of the windshield. I've got to clean and polish the 500s as they are used. I'm considering lightly tinting them so they stay a bit hidden behind the grill area.

The OEM HAWs are in the turn signal of the taillight. What I don't know is if the taillights are compatible, there are some really silly things which don't work between PIU and civ models.

Ok I've been out of the modding scene for a while so bear with me. HAW, what's that? I'm talking about the big clear section of my tail lights, where the turn signal bulb is at. The lower bulb in the uploaded picture.

s-l400 (1).jpg

HAW=Hideaway, in jargonese.:D

I just pulled a taillight from a wrecked PIU I have, I don't see any markings or pilot hole dimple to indicate where to drill, I've just heard that it's supposed to be there.

Here's a view of one in my car's taillight, it's somewhat visible if you know what to look for, in this case, it's the darker lens dome just to the right of the amber bulb. I don't know what color(s) they are, and Ford's 2013 upfitter guide has errors in the section discussing them.

recz.jpg

This is the unit I plan on using. From what I can tell and what a few buddies that have installed the feniex haws, these seem to be clones of the feniex ones. All I know is they are insanely bright.

hide-a-way-led-strobe-light.jpg

led-hideaway-strobe-lights---mini-emergency-vehicle-led-warning-lights-on-headlight.jpg

Back