94/96 OHV 4.0 Head Cylinders

Swinson1974

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4.0 Explorer XLT
Does anyone know if the 96' OHV 4.0 Cylinder heads are interchangeable with the 94' OHV 4.0 Cylinder Heads? I'm in the middle of redoing the gaskets on my 94' and I have a 96 motor too. would be easier than paying for new ones or going to a salvage yard. (If I end up needing them).

Thanks!

OH and do the EGR Lines connect the same way on the exhaust manifold? I know they don't connect the same way to the plenum, but my 94's rusted out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nvm about the EGR's, I know the EGR's are totally different. would be nice to not have to get another set of heads.

The 96 heads should be a different casting (95TM?), with a different combustion chamber. The 96 will have different pistons.

That said. I have heard of guys swapping the later heads onto the older block, and my DIM and faded memory says that this effectively raises the compression ratio if you retain the 1st gen pistons. You should do some research on what that does with respect to the compression ratio and the Gen1 ECU. I can't remember exactly how that went. I used to have some data on this, and a good writeup as it relates to this head swap, but I lost it some time in the last 18 years.

Awesome, ty.. I will do just that. :)

It will raise compression to 10:1 and 90+ gas will be recommend. .

Thank you! I found the thread about the compression difference with the different heads, The only one that was still available was here on the forums... I'm gonna just put the other heads on instead of going through the time and money of getting the old ones pressure tested. I called around, I'll save about $300-$350 and I always use 93oct anyway. :) Now for above 40 degree weather...

Thank you! I found the thread about the compression difference with the different heads, The only one that was still available was here on the forums... I'm gonna just put the other heads on instead of going through the time and money of getting the old ones pressure tested. I called around, I'll save about $300-$350 and I always use 93oct anyway. :) Now for above 40 degree weather...
Yep,if you can afford the gas, then they do add ""some"" power and efficiency. ..id take that saved $350 and buy a comp cams 410 cam and throw it in..10:1 with cam makes good power..

Back