2020 Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer

These spy people are morons. That is not the ST, that is a mule

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer was based on the Taurus platform. The Lincoln MKT was based on the Flex. My 2011 Explorer was virtually trouble free except for the random windshield wiper TSB which did not fix it and had the same issue on my 2014 MKT and current 2017 Platinum.

Peter

Peter, the Explorer shares the Flex’s and MKT’s D4 platform. Which is based on the Taurus’ D3 (Volvo-based) platform. So the Explorer’s mechanicals were pretty much in their 3rd plus model year when it came out in 2011 and yet it still has chronic issues. You were apparently lucky.

These spy people are morons. That is not the ST, that is a mule

If it was just a mule in 2018 skin why would they go to the trouble to completely cover it up? Autoblog seems to think, and given the heavy camouflage on a 2018 body I think it makes more sense, that they'll release the ST soon for the 2019 model year before the 2020 redesign. So then the camouflage on the vehicle being tested is there to cover the minor styling differences of the ST versus the base models, and not to hide a mule body which will look nothing like the 2020 redesign and therefore there is no point in hiding it.

1.) Creates hype
2.) Helps to hide other bits that might be viewable through grilles, etc.
3.) Creates hype

If it was just a mule in 2018 skin why would they go to the trouble to completely cover it up? Autoblog seems to think, and given the heavy camouflage on a 2018 body I think it makes more sense, that they'll release the ST soon for the 2019 model year before the 2020 redesign. So then the camouflage on the vehicle being tested is there to cover the minor styling differences of the ST versus the base models, and not to hide a mule body which will look nothing like the 2020 redesign and therefore there is no point in hiding it.

If it was the ST for 2019, they would not be using the current hood on the new platform (which this is) which you can tell by the huge plastic gap piece used between the hood and the windshield. You also would not have this funky windshield wiper mounted to the middle of this fake plastic piece.

Again, not an ST, it is a Mule using the current gen body parts on the new platform and I stand by my comment of these magazine people being idiots lol.

hySZwqs.png
[/QUOTE]

Oh and I will add that with the 19MY being a short run, they would not do all this work for a 1 yr ST trim on the last year of a platform that will be gone.

If it was the ST for 2019, they would not be using the current hood on the new platform (which this is) which you can tell by the huge plastic gap piece used between the hood and the windshield. You also would not have this funky windshield wiper mounted to the middle of this fake plastic piece.

Again, not an ST, it is a Mule using the current gen body parts on the new platform and I stand by my comment of these magazine people being idiots lol.
[/QUOTE]

Good point about the hood, I did not see that. I'm only using the 2019 Focus testing as precedent for my argument. They took no pains to camouflage it, just put existing body panels over what is obviously a longer wheelbase with glaring patchwork and an uncentered rear wheel.

Next Ford Focus getting longer, wider

I hope they were just using older parts on a prototype because the rear window wiper should be hidden up in the top of the rear glass spoiler for a nextgen 2020 model. GM did this on the Tahoe/Yukon models and its so much cleaner looking not to mention just a better design.

This thing needs to be offered in 3 main trims...XL, XLT and Limited. The ST will be the performance option based on the Limited trim. What is now referred to as the Platinum needs to be moved to the Lincoln lineup as the entry level of whatever it is going to be called. And, of course, Lincoln will have a Black Label edition.

Oh and I will add that with the 19MY being a short run, they would not do all this work for a 1 yr ST trim on the last year of a platform that will be gone.
Last order date for 2018 model is June 1st. Orders accepted for 2019 starting June 13th with 2019 production currently scheduled to start on September 10th 2018.

Peter

Last order date for 2018 model is June 1st. Orders accepted for 2019 starting June 13th with 2019 production currently scheduled to start on September 10th 2018.

Peter

Yes but the 19s are going to stop being produced in Feb/March time hence the short model year run. You are only talking 6 months of production for the 19.

That's why I said Ford would not do a new trim (with additional power, cooling, trans shifting, carb certification, handling due to suspension etc for a 6 month run).

Ohh, did I say these magazine/internet sites are idiots?

Yes but the 19s are going to stop being produced in Feb/March time hence the short model year run. You are only talking 6 months of production for the 19.
I believe they did the same for the 2013 model year.

That's why I said Ford would not do a new trim (with additional power, cooling, trans shifting, carb certification, handling due to suspension etc for a 6 month run).

Ohh, did I say these magazine/internet sites are idiots?

I think you are absolutely right on. There is no way Ford would release a new trim for a last year or short year run. It's entirely outside their character. Now, if somebody had said that at the time of one of the mid-cycle refreshes, that would be more in character. A great example would be the addition of the Fusion Sport on the old CD3 platform, waiting until it was mature and had a mid-cycle. Instead, it's far more likely Ford will make some more cost saving measures (like downgrading the XLT brakes and removing 200A fog lamps in 2018) as the current platform bows out, or just leave it essentially unchanged and tighten the mix towards fleet sales who will buy regardless of a new model. That is much more their MO. This absolutely looks like a mule.

If that is the new chassis, I don't see any signs the wheelbase is significantly longer than it is now. In fact in the pics that rear wheel looks forward of center so the new wheelbase might even be a little shorter. That's disappointing since the Traverse's wheelbase is a full 8 inches longer than the Explorer. Ford has the Edge - the Explorer can stand to be significantly more voluminous inside than it is now.

That's disappointing since the Traverse's wheelbase is a full 8 inches longer than the Explorer. Ford has the Edge - the Explorer can stand to be significantly more voluminous inside than it is now.

Definitely... those long roadtrips in the 3rd row totally suck.

They're probably just in powertrain testing, all... I wouldn't read much into the chassis if anything.

If the hood is indeed somewhat longer as a few of us guessed looking at a picture a while ago, I would guess that the wheelbase may also have changed.

Peter

I sure hope they don't discontinue the Platinum level of trim and the 3.5 liter twin turbo. I was planning on the 2020 with that combo.

TB

I sure hope they don't discontinue the Platinum level of trim and the 3.5 liter twin turbo. I was planning on the 2020 with that combo.

TB

Not sure about the Platinum (doubt it is going anywhere) but Im pretty confident the 3.5 will be gone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TB
If you read the article linked in post 27 (thanks blwnsmoke) you will see the following statement; "The 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 and Sport trim will be no longer be options on the Explorer."

Peter

Back