Can you add a heated steering wheel? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you add a heated steering wheel?

I wear gloves till it warms up. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...or, put your gloves on for two minutes, till the cabin is warm. :D

Or save yourself the money and get one of those heated steering wheel covers that plug into your cigarette lighter.

On my personal vehicles, the heated steering wheel is required. I start looking at vehicles I'm interested in, and if no heated steering wheel is available, that car gets crossed off the list. That's how important it is to me.

That being said, since my Explorers are leased company vehicles, the heated wheel is not part of the package. I just wear gloves.

Hi everyone. Been away from the forum a long time and just trying to catch up. Is it possible to add a heated steering wheel to my sport? I know I saw the bits to turn it on in FORScan (in posts on other forums), but didn't know if this was a viable upgrade for a 2013 Sport?

Hi everyone. Been away from the forum a long time and just trying to catch up. Is it possible to add a heated steering wheel to my sport? I know I saw the bits to turn it on in FORScan (in posts on other forums), but didn't know if this was a viable upgrade for a 2013 Sport?
Hey Kirby, welcome back.You would have to replace your existing steering wheel with a heated capable one to begin with. Since 2013 models did not have this feature I don't know if the ability to turn it on with Forscan is there. You could try contacting one of the members in the Forscan threads and have them check.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I'll do that. Would have to be a wheel with paddle shifters too (assuming those are part of the wheel assembly?) which will really limit things I would think.

Thanks Peter, I'll do that. Would have to be a wheel with paddle shifters too (assuming those are part of the wheel assembly?) which will really limit things I would think.

Just to chime in... I have a 2013 Ex Sport and have been wondering about adding the heated wheel also. What about using the wheel from a Taurus SHO, they have the paddle shifters and most of them came with a heated steering wheel I believe, wouldn't that work?

Just to chime in... I have a 2013 Ex Sport and have been wondering about adding the heated wheel also. What about using the wheel from a Taurus SHO, they have the paddle shifters and most of them came with a heated steering wheel I believe, wouldn't that work?
Just thought about the control. The heated wheel is controlled through the Climate Setting Screen in Sync 3. It is an ON/OFF setting. I don't know if the programming for the MFT in a 2013 can be modified for that or if the Taurus works the same way.
Perhaps the members familiar with Forscan can help there.

Peter

A standalone control module is the easiest way to retrofit something like this. Unfortunately, these days a standalone module is a rare find indeed! Most factory options are controlled by networked modules that have to be initialized and programmed (i.e. PMI). This means you practically need to be an engineer, tech, or computer hacker to even attempt the retrofit.

Believe it or not, however, I discovered a discussion thread about the lowly Ford Focus that revealed it had a heated steering wheel option and I also found a link to a wiring diagram that showed a standalone control module with a dedicated control switch. I don't recall what year it was. Other threads I read about the Focus showed a networked control module for the heated steering wheel. It could be that this option had a dedicated module at first and then Ford later integrated it into the vehicle network.

If you can't get a standalone control module, the only other option is trying to make a networked control module work. This may require some custom programming. For example, it's possible to activate the icon in MFT for the heated steering wheel using FORscan. But, you still have to get a signal over the vehicle network to the heated steering wheel control module. The module needs to be able to read and respond to these commands. Will this work just by plugging it all in? Or, will you have to perform a Programmable Module Installation (PMI)?

Assuming you can actually get the module to turn the heated steering wheel on and off (and look how complicated it's been just to get to that point!) there is as yet no way to get power to your new heated steering wheel. To do this, you need to replace your clockspring and add the appropriate wiring inside the steering column. The heated steering wheel has power, ground, and two more wires for the internal temperature sensor. If you can manage wire all that up properly, you must make absolutely sure that you do not in any way interfere with operation of the airbag.

The good news is I read a thread on an F-150 forum where a fellow did manage to get all this to work. Unfortunately, IIRC it required some programming of the module. I have no idea if this "hack" has been successfully done on an Explorer.

PS I did some digging and located the diagram:

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/attach...-heated-steering-wheel-focus-rs-2016-7763.jpg

As it turns out, the "standalone module" isn't really truly "standalone." It's the Steering Angle Sensor Module (SASM). But, it appears the control of the heated steering wheel is an independent function of this module that requires only an input from the Heated Steering Wheel control switch. It might be possible to use this module to activate a heated steering wheel in another vehicle. The best approach might be to "isolate" the SASM and not connect it to the vehicle network. This should prevent it from interfering with any other systems. Hopefully the heated steering wheel function will still work if the module is otherwise disconnected.

I still don't know for sure to what year(s) this diagram applies. If it's only for the Focus RS, that might be 2015 and newer.

Gloves and turn the heat up works for me.

Hi All, I drive a 2014 xlt with no heated steering wheel. After reading other threads, I was able to turn on the factory remote start feature in this vehicle with no additional hardware. just using forscan. Is it possible the steering wheel in my XLT has heat but is turned off by the factory? Has anyone ever actually cut open an XLT steering wheel to see if it has heating elements?

You have to add/change hardware and wiring.

PS I did some digging and located the diagram:

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/attach...-heated-steering-wheel-focus-rs-2016-7763.jpg

As it turns out, the "standalone module" isn't really truly "standalone." It's the Steering Angle Sensor Module (SASM). But, it appears the control of the heated steering wheel is an independent function of this module that requires only an input from the Heated Steering Wheel control switch. It might be possible to use this module to activate a heated steering wheel in another vehicle. The best approach might be to "isolate" the SASM and not connect it to the vehicle network. This should prevent it from interfering with any other systems. Hopefully the heated steering wheel function will still work if the module is otherwise disconnected.

I still don't know for sure to what year(s) this diagram applies. If it's only for the Focus RS, that might be 2015 and newer.

Yea, I'm dragging this back from the dead lol.

I'm going to be chasing this one down. Looking at the wiring diagram this does not look like an overly complicated issue for me as I have a Sync3 system on the way to the house. I'm going to have to get a visual on the following

GB5Z-3F791-AB Switch Housing

W/ MANUAL TILT/ TELESCOPE, W/ HEATED STEERING WHEEL, W/ O AUTO WIPERS

GB5Z-14A664-F Clock Spring
MODULES & SENSORS, W/ HEATED STEERING WHEEL, W/ HEATED STEERING WHEEL

Now the paddle shifters may not be a big deal. On the paddle shifters its certainly a request over the network. I'm going to have to get a wiring diagram for the buttons on the shifter itself to see if it it is the same. If so the Explorer will never know the damn difference.

I do know there is going to be a little bit of wiring but I'm not very concerned about that.

Yes, its a bit of work and $ if your doing it just for the wheel but if your already doing sync3 I have to assume you got a little $$ to play with and hell why not go all the way.

If anybody happens to be feeling up for it, I could really use the connector pin out diagram for the dual zone hvac and radio control panels between a 17 and 13. I'm questioning if the updated manual controls can be swapped over as well and I'm feeling confident about it.

-Cheers

According to the sales brochure, the 2013 Limited has a heated steering wheel (HSW) option. You'll need FORScan to add and initialize the HSW module, a new clockspring, and some programming to get the HSW module to communicate with the rest of the system. Keep in mind, it may not be just the HSW module that's involved. While I have no service info for the Explorer, on the F150 it's a rather complicated series of communications between several different modules.

If you can't get that to work and want to try using the Focus RS SASM instead, I managed to get more wiring info on that and I can post if needed.

HeatedSteeringWheel2--2015FordF150.jpg

According to the sales brochure, the 2013 Limited has a heated steering wheel (HSW) option. You'll need FORScan to add and initialize the HSW module, a new clockspring, and some programming to get the HSW module to communicate with the rest of the system. Keep in mind, it may not be just the HSW module that's involved. While I have no service info for the Explorer, on the F150 it's a rather complicated series of communications between several different modules.

If you can't get that to work and want to try using the Focus RS SASM instead, I managed to get more wiring info on that and I can post if needed.

View attachment 155689

I have not been able to find anything on the explorer specifically this is all that I have been able to find so far.

I'm going to have to tread lightly on the modules I use to limit the amount of build data that needs to be edited. I'm going to have to go ask a old friend to pull the diagrams that I need, it sucks I can't just do it myself anymore. First I have to find a VIN to a 17 that has the build I'm looking for. I have more thoughts on this but I'll post what I can confirm, no point spending time on anything until I can do just that.

This wont be a overnight solution but I'll get there.

I bought into the dealer access pulling all the diagrams. My memory is not serving me very well right now on the difference between I-can and HS can. The fact sync3 can work in a sync2 vehicle automatically suggests they are cross compatible to some point... it works.

I have a handful of diagrams to toss up here but it wont let me upload. hmmm

Whats interesting is Sync 3 operates on HS3 and HS1 Can meanwhile sync 2 operates on HS MS and I Can bus... I'm a little intrigued by this but noticed other sensors and such do the same and it makes me question if I'll be able to use some things for the Heated steering wheel as I intended. I didn't realize there was a change in the COM protocol between the years.

Why are you looking at 17 info when you have a 13? The fact that you are adding SYNC3 will have nothing to do with adding the heated steering wheel. Unless I am misunderstanding something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why are you looking at 17 info when you have a 13? The fact that you are adding SYNC3 will have nothing to do with adding the heated steering wheel. Unless I am misunderstanding something?

It is Sync 3 that will be displaying the on/off button. It is expected that the SYNC3 will not initially recognize the steering wheel controls and the as built data will have to be modified. It is only safe to assume that I could encounter that with any other change such as adding the heated steering wheel. Now what I do not want to encounter is utilizing 13 parts for a heated steering wheel that are ONLY available with other features. Using 13 parts that are also designed to work with the electric steering column could open a couple worms up. Using the part out of the 17 listed above, it matches what I'm trying to do. Heated steering wheel and thats it.

The main issue I'm trying to wrap my head around is the difference in the Can bus networks in the Explorer, if you could see the wiring diagram you would understand what I'm talking about a little better but I cant get any images to post.

Back