• Register Today It's free!

Won't Start When Cold

Jantzs76

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I know there are a few other threads like this, but they don't seem to be the exact issue I'm having. When I try and start my truck all the dash lights come on as normal, the radio works, etc., but the truck won't turn over. I get nothing when I turn the key. No clicking....nothing.

Now here is the strange thing. If I wait about 5 minutes after trying, I can go back out to the truck and try it again and it starts right up. I didn't do anything different, just waited a few minutes. Any idea what might be going on? Any questions, ask...I'll do my best to answer them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try shifting into neutral when this happens and see if it will start. It happens to mine sometimes.

Try shifting into neutral when this happens and see if it will start. It happens to mine sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't seem to help. :(

Thanks, interesting read. I tried the other key and still does the same thing. I'm also not seeing any of the blinking or steady light from the theft/security indicator as the article suggests. If it was the PATS, would it not work initially and then work normally five minutes later? I would think it just wouldn't work at all....but I'm no expert on the system. Very frustrating problem.

Back