Can you add a heated steering wheel? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you add a heated steering wheel?

The HSW is its own thing. Are you thinking that because it was grouped in an option package from the factory you would have to get other things? If that is what you are thinking...that is wrong. Otherwise I am lost by your statement that the HSW is on available with other features.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really have to figure the network situation out. For example the radio/hvac manual controls. Both the 13 and the 17 utilize a 6pin connection although the plug is different. When you take a closer look in the diagram the only difference in the circuits is MS Can on the 13 is now labeled HS3 Can (lower).

13- You have 12+/Ground/MS+/MS-/Hazard circuit/blank
17- 12+/ground/HS3+/HS3-/Hazard circuit/blank

We see the same things here with the SYNC2 and Sync3 APIMS, yet we all know they work. The question is WHY does it work.

The HSW is its own thing. Are you thinking that because it was grouped in an option package from the factory you would have to get other things? If that is what you are thinking...that is wrong. Otherwise I am lost by your statement that the HSW is on available with other features.

I have been unable to locate the module on its own,

GB5Z-3F791-AB Switch Housing

W/ MANUAL TILT/ TELESCOPE, W/ HEATED STEERING WHEEL, W/ O AUTO WIPERS

The above is out of a 2017, I cannot find a 2013 version that included the HSW but not the electric tilt/telescope.

I just cant get a damn image to load. If somebody wants to email me at uscav82@gmail.com I'll send them. I think once you see what I'm talking about you will have a few questions too lol.

I already have access to all diagrams.

I already have access to all diagrams.

Take a look at the APIMS, Pins 16/17 and 53/54. between 13 w sync2 and 17 w sync 3 .The fact these changed and the modules don't seem to care is what gets me. I suppose they all lead to the same gateway module and if it works the speed of that part of the network must be fast enough to satisfy sync 3.

Its also interesting with the circuit changes for like the microphone and such. Knowing ahead I will have to modify the as built data for the apim to get those to work I just think its incredible that the module is that resilient that it can just be programmed like that to switch its logic to turn around and listen on another circuit.

Yes I am aware of all of that already. You want to get hardware for the HSW for your 13 not a 17. As far as actually switching the FCIM from a 13 to a 17. That is something that you can certainly try but I have reservations as to if it would work or not.

On another not
Yes I am aware of all of that already. You want to get hardware for the HSW for your 13 not a 17. As far as actually switching the FCIM from a 13 to a 17. That is something that you can certainly try but I have reservations as to if it would work or not.

I just remembered you username from a long long time ago. Not sure if it was even from this forum or not. Anyhow, yes you do know what your talking about. Sometimes you never know whos talking back on the other side with the internet.

Anyhow with the FCIM, I'm looking at it like a command is a command so unless they changed them it should work. Anyhow thats the theory that I'm going to run with. Was there another concern you had?

On the heated steering wheel, so its 13 HSWM,clockspring and heated steering wheel. Going with the 13 hardware I assume that is going to limit me to within 12-14-15 wheels correct?

Adding the HSW hardware should be pretty straight forward. Really anything from 11-15 should work for fitment. Have to get the all the correct hardware (including added wiring) and proper programming and should be good to go whether you use SYNC2 or SYNC3.

Ford changed their parts site though and it doesn't seem to work to great with trying to find actual part # searches. It won't find some of the base part #s.

Adding the HSW hardware should be pretty straight forward. Really anything from 11-15 should work for fitment. Have to get the all the correct hardware (including added wiring) and proper programming and should be good to go whether you use SYNC2 or SYNC3.

Ford changed their parts site though and it doesn't seem to work to great with trying to find actual part # searches. It won't find some of the base part #s.
Thanks I appreciate it

Let us know how it goes. I am not aware of anyone that has done it on an Explorer. It has been done on some other models that I know of. The basic concept/process is the same though.

Let us know how it goes. I am not aware of anyone that has done it on an Explorer. It has been done on some other models that I know of. The basic concept/process is the same though.

Yea, no prob. I suspect it might be a couple weeks. Parts still have to get here for the sync and I have to find them for the HSW and I'm still waiting for the Dealer to call me back to let me know the EPAS rack came in... Damn things.

I just cant get a damn image to load. If somebody wants to email me at uscav82@gmail.com I'll send them. I think once you see what I'm talking about you will have a few questions too lol.
How are you trying to load the images? The only way to load them directly from a device is with an Elite membership (see Join Elite Explorers at the top of the page). Otherwise you have to find a 3rd party hosting site and use a link.

Peter

How are you trying to load the images? The only way to load them directly from a device is with an Elite membership (see Join Elite Explorers at the top of the page). Otherwise you have to find a 3rd party hosting site and use a link.

Peter

I'll take care of that membership when I get back to the house.

Any update you can share? Thanks.

What i have to do for upgrading to heated steering wheel? I can get a cheap steering wheel from a Edge from 2015!! I guess, i nee also a new module, but need i´m also an other harness?

What i have to do for upgrading to heated steering wheel? I can get a cheap steering wheel from a Edge from 2015!! I guess, i nee also a new module, but need i´m also an other harness?
Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

I imagine you could physically switch out the steering wheels, but the heat control is through MyFord Touch, so it would also take a software version change, which is usually the sticky wicket in these scenarios. My guess is that you probably wouldn't be able to get the proper firmware uploaded at the dealer. But... you could always ask your dealer's service dude or dudette if it is a possibility.

That makes sense! Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reviving the thread again... not sure how much the HSW architecture has changed in the last 5 or so years but it would make sense to me that from a manufacturing standpoint every part would be used across as many models as possible. With that being said... I found a write up of someone that did an 18 mustang HSW retrofit into a 15-17 mustang.

Heated Steering wheel retrofit for 15-17 completed (Plus 18's and up)

maybe pick up the same parts from a 15 explorer to swap into an older explorer... maybe it’s a completely different setup. Wanted to share in case someone smarter/more experienced than me would see this and want to dig in :)

Back