• Register Today It's free!

2002 transmission trouble

Scott Ciardullo

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Stopped at red light and when it turned green, no go forward. Tried to shift to reverse and nope. No gears at all. When I pull the shifter down I can’t feel any type of interaction with the engine either, like no speed change or idle difference. It did grind when I tried to put it in park. Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stopped at red light and when it turned green, no go forward. Tried to shift to reverse and nope. No gears at all. When I pull the shifter down I can’t feel any type of interaction with the engine either, like no speed change or idle difference. It did grind when I tried to put it in park. Help

If it is an automatic transmission (I have a 6 Speed automatic w/4.0L in my 3rd generation '02) ...I would suggest checking the transmission fluid level first ~ before checking more expensive repairs.
I wish I could tell you that mine came with a convenient dip-stick, but that is certainly not the case.
Good luck!

Rock BenedictNew Member
New
If it is an automatic transmission (I have a 6 Speed automatic w/4.0L in my 3rd generation '02) ...I would suggest checking the transmission fluid level first ~ before checking more expensive repairs.
I wish I could tell you that mine came with a convenient dip-stick, but that is certainly not the case.
Good luck!

Rock BenedictNew Member
New
If it is an automatic transmission (I have a 5 Speed automatic w/4.0L in my 3rd generation '02) ...I would suggest checking the transmission fluid level first ~ before checking more expensive repairs.
Good luck!
Edit "6" to 5. Don't want to confuse the poor guy.

Back