sync 3 which maps are installed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sync 3 which maps are installed?

burgman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, 2.3 Limited.
is there a way to know which maps are installed? I've checked the system and other than the version can't get much more.

I'd like cross a few borders so I want to make sure which maps are installed and which ones aren't so I can buy the missing ones. It's a 2017 sync3 explorer limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no map updates available to buy. And your maps are about 4 years old right now :(

Which version of Sync 3 do you have? 2.2?

My maps are NA 1 14

is there a way to know which maps are installed? I've checked the system and other than the version can't get much more.

I'd like cross a few borders so I want to make sure which maps are installed and which ones aren't so I can buy the missing ones. It's a 2017 sync3 explorer limited.

What boarders? If you are talking about states and into Canada you should have no problem because the entire US and Canada are installed on the system. They are about 4 years old right now but should work for most of the major roads.

It looks like the correct maps are installed. What boarders are you talking about?

it says Sync 3 version 2.2. Maps. SA 1 15

Is it SA or NA...SA would probably mean South American Maps. NA is North American Maps

it says Sync 3 version 2.2. Maps. SA 1 15
Where are you located? As Jason mentioned, the "SA" designation is for South America. Have you checked your Sync account to see if there is an update for V2.3? I was on V2.0 and had the V2.3 update available and installed it.

Peter

yeah I checked it no updates at all. I'd assume what you said and consider them out of date. thank you. I'll go search for my zumo 350 now.. lol.

Really? Selling new navigation systems with 4-year-old maps?

I found this:
Map updates and products for Ford / Explorer / 2016
Ford/Mercury | Explorer | 2016 | HERE
Nothing for 2017, implying that 2017 have the latest maps., Version A8. Note: you apparently can't get Canada and Mexico in the same database.

U.S. AND CANADA SYNC NAVIGATION SYSTEM MAP UPDATE - VERSION A8

U.S. AND MEXICO SYNC NAVIGATION SYSTEM MAP UPDATE - VERSION B8

2016 and 2017 Explorers are totally different nav systems. Comparing apples to oranges.

2016 and 2017 Explorers are totally different nav systems. Comparing apples to oranges.
Umm..OK...but not germane to what I stated. Someone had stated with their 2016 that the maps were 4 years old and there were no updates.

My concern is that with my new 18 being delivered in a few weeks I would be getting old maps too.

Umm..OK...but not germane to what I stated. Someone had stated with their 2016 that the maps were 4 years old and there were no updates.

My concern is that with my new 18 being delivered in a few weeks I would be getting old maps too.
See the following post for map version info. Note that Ford does not supply the map info. SYNC 3 latest version

Peter

Not sure if this has been posted.

Map Info for SYNC3 (check your "ABOUT" screen under "GENERAL")

NA 1 16 means maps from Oct 2016 (typically 2018 Model year)
NA 1 15 means maps from Oct 2015 (typically 2017 Model year)
NA 1 14 means maps from Oct 2014 (typically 2016 Model year)

NA = North America

Not sure if this has been posted.

Map Info for SYNC3 (check your "ABOUT" screen under "GENERAL")

NA 1 16 means maps from Oct 2016 (typically 2018 Model year)
NA 1 15 means maps from Oct 2015 (typically 2017 Model year)
NA 1 14 means maps from Oct 2014 (typically 2016 Model year)

NA = North America

Wow...2 year old maps???

That's what Apple CarPlay and Google Maps are for. I always get cars with OEM NAV, but never use them. I found that they all stink. Best I've had was the one in my Lexus GX...other than than, they all stink.

Anybody know how you get a Navigation Map upgrade for a 2017 Explorer? Ford's nav website shows nothing is available. How can that be since the factory nav version is 1 15?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I recall correctly, the Navigation updates are done by the dealer and there is a cost to have it done. Also, the update is tied to your VIN. I don't believe updates for maps are available over WiFi yet.

Peter

Back