Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
winning.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haha, yes!
I opened the thread expecting a boat anchor. :thumbsup:

Great idea, the A4LD has left me walking home a few times.

I looked expecting something about an A4LD, but did not expect this. LOL.

However, the A4LD is one AWESOME transmission. I have one in my 1993 Aerostar with 430,000 miles on an ORIGINAL A4LD that has NEVER been rebuilt. I have another 1993 Aerostar with 258,000 miles that has an A4LD that has NEVER been rebuilt.

These Aeros typically gross out at 5500 pounds several times per week and have never let me down no matter how many mountains I cross fully OVERloaded.

The A4LD is the ONLY transmission that I have owned in the last 50+ years that will take whatever I can give it and keep on trucking!

That said, for some odd reason the same exact transmission in a Ranger will seldom pass the 100,000 mark without problems that often require a rebuild. Makes no sense to me since the Ranger is 2,000 pounds lighter than an Aero and that Ranger will never carry what an Aero will. Go figure.

Just because you have gotten extremely lucky doesn’t mean the A4LD is any good. It’s an anemic, weak transmission, and even maintained well has a terrible track record.

I know the track record. I have made many THOUSANDS of dollars selling A4LD parts to transmissions shops so they can rebuild them. Don't sell much any more as there are fewer and fewer to rebuild every year.

Am I lucky? Maybe. But then how does one explain 3 Aerostars in a row that hold up to the abuse that I give them? My first Aero died at 200,000 when #5 piston in the engine broke. Transmission was still going strong. And how does it explain the local Ford dealers telling me that it is COMMON for Aerostars to go over 300,000 miles without transmission problems? Granted, compared to Rangers/Broncos this makes no sense whatsoever.

Even the local wrecking yards cannot sell used A4LDs out of Aeros, but cannot find enough to sell into Rangers and Broncos. Weird for sure.

Regardless, this is my experience and my next vehicle will be an Aerostar with an A4LD in it. Nothing else even comes close to doing what an Aero will without spending an arm and a leg.

If Aerostar A4LDs truly run that much longer there must be something different about them.

I went through two, one after about 90000 miles, the rebuild at 35000. Installed a 700R4 after that. Half the money of a rebuild and much stronger.

Ditto, I don't like the A4LD, but the two(91,93) Explorers I've owned did "okay." I babied the shifts most of the time, and avoided WOT shifting. The driver can detect the transmission about to shift each time, and let off the gas just a hair, right before the shift. Doing that reduces pressure(stress) on the clutches, which reduces slippage(wear). There's no real upgrades for the A4LD, except for a minor VB kit, and installing a longer vacuum modulator pin. I did that for both of mine, the 93 I still have the 4.0 and A4LD for sale. Come get them.

Well, the A4LD in my 3rd Aerostar (93) has outlasted the 3.0 V6 engine at 415000 miles.

I don't know the history on my 4th Aerostar (90), but I do expect to put a quarter million miles on that A4LD even though the transmission is weaker than my 93's were.

I always said it’s a good transmission from the factory… it’s the rebuild when the nightmares begin. Now days the a4 can be built up using 5r internals and can be made very strong. Still I will never own another…. I don’t have to when we were given the 4r70w stuffed into the explorer

You can't find them anymore. The local rebuilder calls it a dinosaur. The junkyards don't even have cores to rebuild. You could find parts online on a limited scale, but it's getting harder as it ages.

I have an A4LD if you want it enough, it has 112,622 miles on it. I kind of made a deal with one of my customers to buy the 93 engine and trans for $350, with the TC if I can find that too.

Sink insert is epoxy I believe
Some members of my family are gearing up to make engine block coffee tables and transmission end tables… finally a use for all of the old engine Blocks I get

Sink insert is epoxy I believe
Some members of my family are gearing up to make engine block coffee tables and transmission end tables… finally a use for all of the old engine Blocks I get
Want one, and a transmission sink for the shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d find a bellhousing that was a nice shape, and polish and seal that. Make that the bowl. Use a leveling epoxy and make a smooth bottom and to add in the appropriate strainer and basket.

Back