• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer Limited

mgmgmg

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD '10 LTD V8
Whats your 2 cents on this 94, looking to replace my winter beater maybe with this one. Any thoughts on fair price. I see it doesnt have CD player and moonroof, I hope it has tow package?

1994 Ford Explorer Limited | eBay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The age on that and 122k makes me wonder about more leaking from trans/engine seals etc, wonder of it was driven regularly or just once every month or so. I've got my 91 XLT to sell which hasn't moved in 11 years, setting makes problems more than regular driving.

My old 93 Limited I parted out when it had just 112,622 miles on it, in 2005. I still have front end parts from it, the engine/trans, ABS, and the two bad stock CD players I had with it. My wheels have dead clear coat, common at this age.

Be glad to not get a sunroof, they leak eventually. Mine the roof slightly sagged at the center, making a gap at the rear of the glass. I loved my 93 Limited, same Dark Tourmaline Green, but age did mine in.

I'd suggest hunting a 98-01 high option Explorer or Mountaineer, only the 302/AWD versions. Those you can find for $2K or so, I missed on one 98 Limited with 109k two years ago, for $4k. It snowed the day after I spoke with the man in SC, and it sold before I could get there.

It's a nice car and looks to be pretty well maintained (at least the paint, body and interior), but if it sells for 4K with 122 on the odo then that's pretty surprising. I might be really out of touch on the value of first gens but are they really worth this much, now?

As I said before, nice looking car. Would make an awesome winter truck.

I ran the VIN number but didn't get a confirmation of a tow package. Unfortunately, had the owner taken the engine shot in a little wider frame, we might have been able to if it had a trans cooler in front of the radiator. It looks wonderful. It has either been well cared for or has recently been to a detailer who knows his business.

Now, I know the feeling of anticipation, of seeing something beautiful and thinking about a purchase. So, I am hesitant to say the following, but you came here for an honest opinion. So...

1. You are in MN and the car is in suburban San Diego. That's quite an investment in time and money to even set eyes on a vehicle. Maybe not so bad if you can get a cheap flight from MSP to San Diego. Just saying.... I would stay in a mindset that it is ok to come home without the truck if it isn't meant to be.

2. That peeling paint on the hood is going to get worse. Bringing that truck to MN is going to show this truck a whole new idea of cold, and that peeling is aggravated by thermal changes. It could get worse, possibly much worse, in its first year home. At some point, you could get the hood re-painted, so again, not a deal-breaker, but something to keep in mind.

3. I would insist on crawling under the vehicle, getting it on a lift, or even better yet, taking it to a mechanic for an evaluation for leaks and seals. Drop it off and go to SeaWorld or something. If it is spotless underneath, I would head back to the airport. This truck has auto-hubs... and I bet it hasn't been in 4WD much. I don't know how I would test those, but I would keep that in mind.

4. It might be kind of interesting to see a copy of his last CA emissions test results, the paperwork he was given. Their testing is pretty rigorous and if the test is borderline/failed, you might get an idea of a mechanical problem.

5. I'm a big fan of Click and Clack (RIP) and I'll tell you what they have told people in similar situations. Don't buy it. It doesn't come close to modern safety standards, lacking airbags, a rather primitive ABS system, and a reputation (true or not) of rolling over. You are talking about this being your daily driver in Plymouth MN, an area I know very well. We are talking about serious traffic, ice and snow.

Bottom line: If I were absolutely determined to get this truck, I'd cap it at $2,500, IF everything tested out and it got the approval of a mechanic. If it needs seals or something, down goes the price. Oh, and one thing I would do for darn sure is get the antifreeze tested before bringing it to sub-zero temperatures. It would be a shame to push out a freeze plug the first night home. I think I'm with Don on this, buy newer, perhaps at a better price, closer to home. I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, I'm just being frank. Good Luck!

Edit: After reading the entire thread again, I guess I'm not sure why you even want this truck, given the vehicles you own now, including 3 Explorers and a Bronco. If I wanted a real winter beater, I'd just buy one locally with some rust for $1k and call it a day. Anyway, Good Luck!

All you guys are RIGHT! Great info thank you sooo much.
Im going to pass, Ill drive my 94 LTD "Winter SUV" which run great to the ground!

That doesn't seem like a very logical "winter beater" in my opinion. The whole point of having a winter beater is because you don't have to care about it being super cold started, dirty, salty, rusted, possibly smacked in an icy fender bender, ect;

This truck just looks too nice and expensive (especially with travel cost) to be a winter beater.

The more logical thing, in my opinion, is to buy something local and much cheaper that you won't have to fret over every time it gets salty and rusts more.

That doesn't seem like a very logical "winter beater" in my opinion. The whole point of having a winter beater is because you don't have to care about it being super cold started, dirty, salty, rusted, possibly smacked in an icy fender bender, ect;

This truck just looks too nice and expensive (especially with travel cost) to be a winter beater.

The more logical thing, in my opinion, is to buy something local and much cheaper that you won't have to fret over every time it gets salty and rusts more.

I agree with that. The 98-01 302/AWD models are a bargain/steal right now. For a truck you need sparingly and what beater means, those models are anywhere from $1k or less, to $2500 depending on condition. Find something reliable that won't lose much value for the time you need it.

If you get an AWD, be sure the tires are identical diameters. At this age, it's more and more common for them to have past use with mismatched tires. If the AWD isn't hurt, and you be sure the tires always match, the AWD will last a long time.

Same Explorer on CL San Diego is asking less. I think its about a thousand too much. I picked up a running, driving green Explorer with some rust issues, but only 105000 miles for $500. Keep looking.

1994 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 Service Records Like New L@@K!!!
Ditto, they are likely fishing for a price offer way over what they really want. They're asking triple what it may be worth depending on markets, and expecting an offer of say $1000 more than it should bring. Keep looking.

Its $1500 Explorer! Thats my offer.......

Lowest he will go is $2800

I guess he's holding out for "that one person" who will pay $2800 or more. Every seller thinks they have gold.

It might be one of the nicer 1st gen Limiteds left. Then again, it could be one shift away from a grenaded A4LD.

My 93 Limited was very nice, just like that one appears. But mine at 112,622 miles I decided the front BJ's were not worth the repair cost, plus some minor engine symptom, and the rear brake backing plate wearing through at the pads. That was in 2005, with a value then of under $1500 or so, it made more sense to me to upgrade to a 2nd gen. Back then a decent 2nd gen was a good $7500, so I bought my 99 wrecked for $1500, and used my 93 body to rebuild the 99. It took about $1000 to repair the 99, plus my labor and some special tools. That was a lot of work back then, but cheaper than keeping the 93 going, long term.

Now these days, right now, the 98-01 302 Explorer are a real bargain. Those are reliable when not completely abused, and cheap in any condition. I bet we could find ten of those for under $2000 each, in decent condition. No offense to the seller of that very nice old 94, but it's not worth more than about $1500, if it's in excellent shape.

Here in MN you will see a first gen every blue moon, In the past year Ive seen just a bunch of 2nd gens! Always thought the 2 gens you should stay away from??

I see them regularly out here. I guess they don't rust away in the southwest. Here is a sampling of what's available in San Diego, CA area on CL (including the highest priced one of all stockers, the green limited). I really like the 92 "Pre-Runner" with single shear upper coil over mounts and no air filter for 5K:
san diego cars & trucks - craigslist

Here in MN you will see a first gen every blue moon, In the past year Ive seen just a bunch of 2nd gens! Always thought the 2 gens you should stay away from??

Not all 2nd gens. The SOHC V6 engine is the one that gets the bad reputation. If it has the OHV V6 engine, or the V8 engine, they've really got a pretty good drivetrains, in my opinion.

But also in my opin we 1st genners have MUCH better looking trucks :)

Hes my "Winter Suv" Ill keep until doors fall off.....

Picture 104.jpg

That's great, I love those first Limited's. If you were closer, I'd sell you my old wheels for snow tires. These I have the clear died years ago, so they're only good for snow duty etc.

That's a really nice 1st gen Limited you have there. You should be proud of that one. If it were me, when the time came, I would restore that -- fully re-do the frame, underbody panels, etc. and the truck can give you more years of winter service.

Watch those running boards and rockers. Salt and dirt loves to sit in there, holding in moisture, eating away at your metal...make sure if you re-do your truck, you allow for that moisture to EXIT quickly or give easy access to be blasted out. The OEM Ford rocker design on our trucks doesn't allow that -- they have a sandwich of sound deadening material and thin sheets of metal -- a perfect recipe for moisture retention and rocker death, especially with the OEM tupperware.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The age on that and 122k makes me wonder about more leaking from trans/engine seals etc, wonder of it was driven regularly or just once every month or so. I've got my 91 XLT to sell which hasn't moved in 11 years, setting makes problems more than regular driving.

My old 93 Limited I parted out when it had just 112,622 miles on it, in 2005. I still have front end parts from it, the engine/trans, ABS, and the two bad stock CD players I had with it. My wheels have dead clear coat, common at this age.

Be glad to not get a sunroof, they leak eventually. Mine the roof slightly sagged at the center, making a gap at the rear of the glass. I loved my 93 Limited, same Dark Tourmaline Green, but age did mine in.

I'd suggest hunting a 98-01 high option Explorer or Mountaineer, only the 302/AWD versions. Those you can find for $2K or so, I missed on one 98 Limited with 109k two years ago, for $4k. It snowed the day after I spoke with the man in SC, and it sold before I could get there.
Do you still have the front Beams?

Back