SYNC 3 latest version | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 latest version

Thanks. Maybe I'll give the reporting another try. I tried several times to install V2.3 without success. Oddly enough the successful one came after I started the update after I began driving.

Pete
Correction: I forgot that my account did update after a few days via WiFi. Must have happened overnight when the Explorer was parked in the garage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure how folks get notified on this forum of updates to previous posts; hence, this short post. See post #197. I was successful at getting the Alexa app to work with 2.3. Master reset is the fix.

It is easy to get updates to posts if you either post to the thread or click on "Watch Thread" at the top right if you haven't posted in the thread. It will send you a notification when there is an update. I get notified via email.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you get a reply re the downloading of V2.3, please share that info with us. Many of us are on V2.0 and when we check for an updated version via the Sync screen, nothing is found. Thanks.

Peter
Following as I have same issue with my recently purchased 2017.

As a data point, I bought my 2017 Platinum in Sep 2017. It has the full infotainment package to include navigation, and came with V2.0 loaded. I never received anything from Ford letting me know V2.3 was released (apparently in Dec 2017) and I have the vehicle WiFi connected to our home network and I also have an up to date account with current e-mail address/notification settings on the Ford Owner website (owner.ford.com). It did show up on the owner site as having V2.3 available as an update.

The files that need transferred are approx 1.5GB, so I would recommend to most to not try or think the system will update using the WiFi; i.e. use a USB flash drive. Nearly everyone on the forums of various makes with sync3 has only upgraded using a USB from what I can tell. I followed the instructions on the owner site and did not have any problems other than filling in the blanks of ambiguous info. See my previous lengthy post about that. If not familiar with the owner site, it can be tough to find where to navigate for the download. When logged in, navigate to the Sync & Vehicle Features tab, then in the drop down window under "Quick Links", click on "Check for software updates". You also want to make sure you have the correct/current vehicle showing on the owner home page; otherwise, you will likely not see an available or correct sync update.

I only stumbled on V2.3 because I had heard Ford had come up with an Alexa app (and advertised such on TV with the caveat "coming this winter" back in the fall of 2017). I'm guessing it is possible that those without nav may not show an upgrade available on the owner site to 2.3. Then there is the country piece which makes no sense to me other than it having the correct map database, but apparently you Canadian folks are having some other issues; I'm in Ohio. Below is what's on the owner site for my upgrades and these only show up after bringing the USB back from the vehicle post update, and uploading a new file the vehicle puts on the flash drive to your owner account. Fairly strange that the information in these post-update messages includes partial installation instructions (at this point in the process, your finished with the installation), but that is par for the course in Ford's mostly incomplete and/or ambiguous information across the board with this and previous infotainment systems.

As an added point, the music with the Alexa app and Amazon Prime music is VERY nice; much better than the almost unlistenable (is that a word?) Sirius crap at 32 Kbps.

Good luck!

FOR V2.0
HB5T-14G381-AJ
This software release is the latest update in our continued efforts to improve system performance, device connectivity, and the overall SYNC experience.

This software contains the following enhancements:

• Updated voice recognition engine.
  • Navigation user interface improvements (if equipped).
  • Android Auto™ for supported devices.
  • Apple CarPlay™ for supported devices. Owners of 2016 models with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software update and purchase a hardware upgrade through your dealer.
The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle. You must wait until Installation Complete is displayed on the center screen before removing your drive or turning your vehicle off.

Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.

FOR V2.3
JL1T-14G381-AJ
This software release is the latest update in our continued efforts to improve system performance, device connectivity, and the overall SYNC experience. (Wow, that's a really informative description and will really help me identify things that are better, NOT)

This software contains all previous enhancements, so there is no need to install any other updates. The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle. You must wait until Installation Complete is displayed on the center screen before removing your drive or turning your vehicle off.

While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle. (These last 2 paragraphs imply I have a time machine. I have already completed the installation at this point, so why are you adding notes about installation here? I hope Ford doesn't develop the infotainment system on the first time machine :) )

As a data point, I bought my 2017 Platinum in Sep 2017. It has the full infotainment package to include navigation, and came with V2.0 loaded. I never received anything from Ford letting me know V2.3 was released (apparently in Dec 2017) and I have the vehicle WiFi connected to our home network and I also have an up to date account with current e-mail address/notification settings on the Ford Owner website (owner.ford.com). It did show up on the owner site as having V2.3 available as an update.

The files that need transferred are approx 1.5GB, so I would recommend to most to not try or think the system will update using the WiFi; i.e. use a USB flash drive. Nearly everyone on the forums of various makes with sync3 has only upgraded using a USB from what I can tell. I followed the instructions on the owner site and did not have any problems other than filling in the blanks of ambiguous info. See my previous lengthy post about that. If not familiar with the owner site, it can be tough to find where to navigate for the download. When logged in, navigate to the Sync & Vehicle Features tab, then in the drop down window under "Quick Links", click on "Check for software updates". You also want to make sure you have the correct/current vehicle showing on the owner home page; otherwise, you will likely not see an available or correct sync update.

I only stumbled on V2.3 because I had heard Ford had come up with an Alexa app (and advertised such on TV with the caveat "coming this winter" back in the fall of 2017). I'm guessing it is possible that those without nav may not show an upgrade available on the owner site to 2.3. Then there is the country piece which makes no sense to me other than it having the correct map database, but apparently you Canadian folks are having some other issues; I'm in Ohio. Below is what's on the owner site for my upgrades and these only show up after bringing the USB back from the vehicle post update, and uploading a new file the vehicle puts on the flash drive to your owner account. Fairly strange that the information in these post-update messages includes partial installation instructions (at this point in the process, your finished with the installation), but that is par for the course in Ford's mostly incomplete and/or ambiguous information across the board with this and previous infotainment systems.

As an added point, the music with the Alexa app and Amazon Prime music is VERY nice; much better than the almost unlistenable (is that a word?) Sirius crap at 32 Kbps.

Good luck!

FOR V2.0
HB5T-14G381-AJ
This software release is the latest update in our continued efforts to improve system performance, device connectivity, and the overall SYNC experience.

This software contains the following enhancements:

• Updated voice recognition engine.
  • Navigation user interface improvements (if equipped).
  • Android Auto™ for supported devices.
  • Apple CarPlay™ for supported devices. Owners of 2016 models with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software update and purchase a hardware upgrade through your dealer.
The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle. You must wait until Installation Complete is displayed on the center screen before removing your drive or turning your vehicle off.

Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.

FOR V2.3
JL1T-14G381-AJ
This software release is the latest update in our continued efforts to improve system performance, device connectivity, and the overall SYNC experience. (Wow, that's a really informative description and will really help me identify things that are better, NOT)

This software contains all previous enhancements, so there is no need to install any other updates. The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle. You must wait until Installation Complete is displayed on the center screen before removing your drive or turning your vehicle off.

While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle. (These last 2 paragraphs imply I have a time machine. I have already completed the installation at this point, so why are you adding notes about installation here? I hope Ford doesn't develop the infotainment system on the first time machine :) )

LMAO!

Welcome to the Ford Owner Experience Club.

Have pity on those of us that have suffered through My Ford Disappointment (aka MyFord Touch).

WiFi updates have worked for a few of us. One technique is to try to maintain a WiFi connection as long as possible while you select scan for updates...those that can use their phone as a hotspot have a leg up...if not, then connect to WiFi at home before you park. The update will continue for up to 30 minutes after you shut off the engine and may take a few days to complete if you are in and out of WiFi coverage.

Still, the fastest and surest way to update is via usb.

Y'all have me scared. I have a 2011 Fusion Hybrid and the voice nav is terrible. Now you are telling me to expect little improvement in my soon-to-be-delivered-2018.

WiFi updates have worked for a few of us. One technique is to try to maintain a WiFi connection as long as possible while you select scan for updates...those that can use their phone as a hotspot have a leg up...if not, then connect to WiFi at home before you park. The update will continue for up to 30 minutes after you shut off the engine and may take a few days to complete if you are in and out of WiFi coverage.

Still, the fastest and surest way to update is via usb.
I must admit I have not researched this, but have never quite figured out how the vehicle stays connected to WiFi once the engine is shut off. From your comment, it must have a 30 minute egg timer that runs and keeps the necessary equipment powered up for that long to remain connected. I have not been impressed thus far with connectivity of the vehicle to our network. Our router is late model and basically on the other side of the garage wall where the vehicle is parked. Not the most consistent connection and all our other devices have no problems, even at much greater distances outside our house.
Have not attempted the hotspot idea, but at present, don't really need to. Thanks for the suggestion.

Y'all have me scared. I have a 2011 Fusion Hybrid and the voice nav is terrible. Now you are telling me to expect little improvement in my soon-to-be-delivered-2018.
From other forums, it sounds like Sync3 still takes a close 2nd or 3rd place behind other vehicle makes infotainment systems in terms of the nav features and functionality. We had a 2013 with MFT and the change to Sync3 with our 2017 is noticeably faster and there are improvements, but if you're a techie who has a nice cell phone (i.e. used to apps like Google Maps), you'll probably still be disappointed. My biggest disappointment was all the hype with what I thought was going to be a near-pure repeater of my phone and Google Maps via Android auto (another horrible name choice since auto can be an abbreviation for automatic, but I digress). Turns out it is a so-so feature that gives those who don't have nav built in to their vehicle, the ability to put a nav solution on their dash screen. We recently figured out how to install/use the Amazon Echo/Alexa feature with sync3 and it's probably one of the first things that I've actually said is pretty cool and it works quite well, once you figure it out. There doesn't seem to be much documentation on how it is supposed to work and most of the instructional videos out there just aren't that useful (yet). It's ability to find POI's via voice is much better than the built in system, but bear in mind you have to have cell phone coverage/connection for this feature to work. I'm still trying to determine how much data the streaming music feature eats up on our plan, but as I've said on other posts, there is no comparison in sound quality of Alexa (good) vs Sirius (bad) music. Good luck with the new ride!

From other forums, it sounds like Sync3 still takes a close 2nd or 3rd place behind other vehicle makes infotainment systems in terms of the nav features and functionality. We had a 2013 with MFT and the change to Sync3 with our 2017 is noticeably faster and there are improvements, but if you're a techie who has a nice cell phone (i.e. used to apps like Google Maps), you'll probably still be disappointed. My biggest disappointment was all the hype with what I thought was going to be a near-pure repeater of my phone and Google Maps via Android auto (another horrible name choice since auto can be an abbreviation for automatic, but I digress). Turns out it is a so-so feature that gives those who don't have nav built in to their vehicle, the ability to put a nav solution on their dash screen. We recently figured out how to install/use the Amazon Echo/Alexa feature with sync3 and it's probably one of the first things that I've actually said is pretty cool and it works quite well, once you figure it out. There doesn't seem to be much documentation on how it is supposed to work and most of the instructional videos out there just aren't that useful (yet). It's ability to find POI's via voice is much better than the built in system, but bear in mind you have to have cell phone coverage/connection for this feature to work. I'm still trying to determine how much data the streaming music feature eats up on our plan, but as I've said on other posts, there is no comparison in sound quality of Alexa (good) vs Sirius (bad) music. Good luck with the new ride!

Thanks for the feedback. I was amazed at how convoluted the nav system was in my Fusion: I couldn't say DESTINATION: (then give a full street address) or the inablility to find POIS by name or type. (ie: find me a Home Depot). I am sure that I will use my Google Maps or WAZE through Android Car (you're right..."auto" is misleading)
Are you saying that streaming Sirius through Alexa is better than through the Sirius app?

As for data use, I found this:

Simple calculation:
data used = bitrate (kb/sec) * playtime(seconds)/8 will give you the kilobytes used. Divide the above by 1000 to give megabytes.

Example:
Audio bit rate 128 kbit, one minute play time: data used = 128 * 60 / 8 = 960 kilobytes of data or 0.96 megabytes

So, if you are streaming at 128kbit, you will be using nearly a megabyte of data per minute.

I'm on unlimited with my phone so it is irrelevant to me how much I use.

Thanks for the feedback. I was amazed at how convoluted the nav system was in my Fusion: I couldn't say DESTINATION: (then give a full street address) or the inablility to find POIS by name or type. (ie: find me a Home Depot). I am sure that I will use my Google Maps or WAZE through Android Car (you're right..."auto" is misleading)
Are you saying that streaming Sirius through Alexa is better than through the Sirius app?

As for data use, I found this:

Simple calculation:
data used = bitrate (kb/sec) * playtime(seconds)/8 will give you the kilobytes used. Divide the above by 1000 to give megabytes.

Example:
Audio bit rate 128 kbit, one minute play time: data used = 128 * 60 / 8 = 960 kilobytes of data or 0.96 megabytes

So, if you are streaming at 128kbit, you will be using nearly a megabyte of data per minute.

I'm on unlimited with my phone so it is irrelevant to me how much I use.

Thanks for the formula. The only unknown for me at this point is what bit rate the Alexa app runs when streaming music. It must be relatively high because the sound quality is WAY better than Sirius. I'm talking about the built in Sirius functionality in the Sync3 infotainment system, not a phone app for Sirius. I'm pretty sure Sirius streams at about 32 Kbps and a CD runs about 1400 Kbps, so no wonder Sirius sounds like crap, a whopping 2% of what you get when listening to a CD. I'm sure the audiophiles can tell us where the breaking point is for normal people to distinguish between bad and good music sound in terms of bit rates. I just know the Sirius stuff sounds like my old '55 Merc am radio (or worse) :) Not sure I did a good job at answering your question. Maybe a different way would be I can't answer your questions because I don't have a Sirius app on my phone, just what came with the vehicle.

Possibly purchasing a used 2017 Explorer Limited that was a previous rental and after reading about Sync 3 3.0 with Waze, just curious how people are getting it? Is 3.0 still only dealer installed only or can it be downloaded from Ford? I don't own the vehicle yet but I was just curious as it's something I'd like to have right away :)

Possibly purchasing a used 2017 Explorer Limited that was a previous rental and after reading about Sync 3 3.0 with Waze, just curious how people are getting it? Is 3.0 still only dealer installed only or can it be downloaded from Ford? I don't own the vehicle yet but I was just curious as it's something I'd like to have right away :)
Can not be downloaded from Ford. I is the version that is coming with the 2018 model. I believe there is a link on this Forum, possibly in this thread, for downloading V3.0 but you do so at your own risk.

Peter

I have 3.0 on my 2017 sport. I got it from this website somewhere in this thread. It works perfectly with no issues that I've come across.

I just got my 2018 Explorer and it has v 3.0

I just got my 2018 Explorer and it has v 3.0
Does anybody know if there is different software versions being released for the US vs Canada? Assuming you bought your 2018 in Canada. Anybody bought a 2018 in the US and confirmed V3.0 is loaded?

Seems bizarre (well, not really at this point with all the other buffoonery) there would not be an official release of V3.0 to the field if it's the latest and greatest. These folks could also use some work in their naming conventions - might have been better to go with an alphabetical upgrade when they deep 6-ed MFT; possibly Sync C, and then run the software versions in numeric only like they are. You can readily see people getting confused about Sync three version three or upgrading from Sync two to version three (is that to Sync3 or V3.0). Just funny stuff that makes me glad most of the same people don't interface with the aircraft industry (usually :) )

Does anybody know if there is different software versions being released for the US vs Canada? Assuming you bought your 2018 in Canada. Anybody bought a 2018 in the US and confirmed V3.0 is loaded?

Seems bizarre (well, not really at this point with all the other buffoonery) there would not be an official release of V3.0 to the field if it's the latest and greatest. These folks could also use some work in their naming conventions - might have been better to go with an alphabetical upgrade when they deep 6-ed MFT; possibly Sync C, and then run the software versions in numeric only like they are. You can readily see people getting confused about Sync three version three or upgrading from Sync two to version three (is that to Sync3 or V3.0). Just funny stuff that makes me glad most of the same people don't interface with the aircraft industry (usually :) )

Yes the software is the same in US/Canada...its lumped as North America version. Yes 3.0 is in new 2018 Explorers. Not at all uncommon for Ford to run a newer version in factory released vehicles for months before releasing a user update for older versions.

Yes the software is the same in US/Canada...its lumped as North America version. Yes 3.0 is in new 2018 Explorers. Not at all uncommon for Ford to run a newer version in factory released vehicles for months before releasing a user update for older versions.
Great! Thanks for that data point Jason. Hope they get all the bugs worked out before releasing it to the field, if that's what their standard practice is. Wondering if there is any official documentation on what V3.0 has that previous versions did not. When I upgraded from V2.0 to V2.3, there was virtually no documentation on the changes/improvements.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back