grinding sound from left rear wheel | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

grinding sound from left rear wheel

Electronic cat #1180 crosses over to Ford part number 1A124 (retainer)
Electronic cat #HN3 crosses over to Ford part number W710084 (nut, adjusting screw)
Useage; the VIN used to pull this info is from a 2002 Explorer XLT 4wd, build date 06/2001

Not sure why you are having trouble with parts.ford.com, works fine with latest version of Mozilla without third party cookies enabled, but you should be able to find both parts on RA

2002_ex_lr_knuckle.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have ordered everything but I am still having problems with the spindle nut "Ford W710084". They seem to come in a 4 pack for $30+ including shipping.

This is one location I have found so far where I can buy a single part,

Ford ADJUSTING SCREW NUT -W710084-S439 ($10, free ship)

The amazon parts filter says that this fits my model, but this is one of those cases where they show a diagram of many parts and don't identify the part you are ordering on the diagram. The diagram also doesn't look like the one posted by dkl and the part number has the extra -S439 on the end.

There are locations on ebay where I could also order,

FORD OEM Axle Housing-Rear-Axle Nut W710084S439 | eBay

but they don't show a picture and my 2002 truck does not appear on the list of compatible vehicles.

I suspect this is the right part but I am still not sure.

LMHmedchem

This is the correct part. If you want to compare it to other sources, it a 36mm M24 x 2.0 nut I ordered this same part at the end of November from Greenway Ford through Amazon.
Thanks a bunch, I hate ordering when I don't know I have the right part. Am I right that there is no retainer ring that goes with this nut?

LMHmedchem

There is no retainer ring with this nut. It has a thin plastic layer that will lock it in place. Just torque it the proper amount, 208 ft/lbs, I believe, but double check that.

Back