Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

People that removed their door handles - any tips? I have read through and searched posts and vids on how to do it but I see conflicting methods. After you loosen the torx screw and remove that little trim piece some instructions say to simply slide the handle towards the back of the car and you will feel it pop and then you can remove it, and others say first pull the handle out like you are opening the door and then slide it back towards the rear of the car to remove it. I don't want to do it wrong and risk that spring popping out that has happened to some people and then have to take off the interior door panel. Anyone have the best way to do it?

I held the handle with one hand, undid the Torx screw with the other. Slowly turning it so when it was loose enough it slid out before screw came out all the way and spring dropped.

I did pull the handle open but not sure if that's required to slide off.

Once off you can wax the area that's under the handle as well.

I have pictures if you need them.

I held the handle with one hand, undid the Torx screw with the other. Slowly turning it so when it was loose enough it slid out before screw came out all the way and spring dropped.

I did pull the handle open but not sure if that's required to slide off.

Once off you can wax the area that's under the handle as well.

I have pictures if you need them.

Thank you, how far did you pull the handle open, all the way? half way?

Thank you, how far did you pull the handle open, all the way? half way?

Honestly can't remember exactly, I believe half way but I'm not sure it matters.

My post from a couple years ago, that's fresh info right after I did it might help as well.

Back