Time for tires | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually the link I provided shows asymmetrical tires that can be rotated to any position on the vehicle. No matter what side you move the tire to the outside edge will always be on the outside of the vehicle. The link even mentions the rotation pattern.
If the link you provided is the one from quora.com, it is quite misleading as the tirerack text mentions asymmetric, but seems to be referring to non-directional asymmetric tires which allow using multiple tire rotation patterns. The picture in your link is indicated as a photoshop and appears to be a single tire that has been mirrored to show what directional asymmetric tires would look like when mounted. Directional asymmetric tires would not be able to be put on any position of the vehicle as they would be right/left specific and should be mounted accordingly (if all same size, they can only be rotated front/back - if staggered sizing, directional asymmetric tires cannot be rotated at all).

I apologize, but just because an asymmetric tire is mounted properly with the outside marking facing the outside of the vehicle does not mean the tread will be mirrored from right to left sides.

Here is another example of asymmetric non-directional tires (Nitto Neo Gen). The tires are identical and the large blocks are to the outside as they would be when mounted on the vehicle, but they are not a mirror image of each other. These tires can be rotated front/back and/or right/left because they are non-directional, but some people might think they are not mounted correctly as the tread is different from side to side.

20121126_161730.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahh, okay, I get it now. I didn't notice the text saying they manipulated that image to make it a mirror. Asymmetrical tires generally wouldn't be a perfect mirror image. Some, especially the model pictured in your link, will look extremely strange when mounted correctly, one side channeling water forward and out, the other channeling it rear and out. As pictured, there would be two distinctly different tires in each set, i.e., a directional asymmetrical set.

On a related note, I have had a shop get careless and mount one tire out of a set backwards compared to the others. It does make for strange handling characteristics...
It doesn’t matter which way the water is channeled out. My point is the outside thread blocks of an asymmetrical tire will be a mirror of the tire on the other side. If you take an asymmetrical tire and place it in front of a mirror with the inside blocks nearest the mirror. The image in the mirror will be how the tires will look on the opposite side of the car. Inside threads on both tires will be in the inside. Outside threads will be on the outside. I can then take any of the four tires and rotate them to any position on the car and they will all have the outside on the outside and the inside on the inside. I think some are getting confused by the angle of the sipes and that doesn’t really matter. Sipes just increase traction by allowing the rubber to flex and “bite” the road. Image a tire with only horizontal sipes and asymmetrical thread blocks and the mirror image would be clearer to visualize.

If the link you provided is the one from quora.com, it is quite misleading as the tirerack text mentions asymmetric, but seems to be referring to non-directional asymmetric tires which allow using multiple tire rotation patterns. The picture in your link is indicated as a photoshop and appears to be a single tire that has been mirrored to show what directional asymmetric tires would look like when mounted. Directional asymmetric tires would not be able to be put on any position of the vehicle as they would be right/left specific and should be mounted accordingly (if all same size, they can only be rotated front/back - if staggered sizing, directional asymmetric tires cannot be rotated at all).

I apologize, but just because an asymmetric tire is mounted properly with the outside marking facing the outside of the vehicle does not mean the tread will be mirrored from right to left sides.

Here is another example of asymmetric non-directional tires (Nitto Neo Gen). The tires are identical and the large blocks are to the outside as they would be when mounted on the vehicle, but they are not a mirror image of each other. These tires can be rotated front/back and/or right/left because they are non-directional, but some people might think they are not mounted correctly as the tread is different from side to side.

20121126_161730.jpg
What you have just posted is exactly what I have been saying. You are the one who mentioned directional asymmetrical tires. I didn’t. Mirror image means exactly what the picture shows. It does not mean identical. If you imagine a mirror between the two tires you posted the image on the left is a mirror image of the tire on the right. The inside threads are near each other and the outside threads are farthest away from each other. I am only talking about the placement of the thread blocks and nothing else. You added more to it and then tried to belittle me.

Here’s another definition to help those who might need help.

Mirror Image

1. an image of an object, plan, person, etc., as it would appear if viewed in a mirror, with right and left reversed.
  2. an object having a spatial arrangement that corresponds to that of another object except that the right-to-left sense on one object corresponds to the left-to-right sense on the other.

If if we’re truly a mirror image, you wouldn’t have to ignore the siping, or *any* detail. They would be ‘identical’ but mirrored, and NOT curve in different directions.

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus did great at Mammoth Lakes, CA when it snowed. no issues with these tires.

Our OEM Hankooks are nearly gone at 20k miles. Which tires is everyone replacing them with? I was thinking about going up to slightly bigger 265\50's. I don't think I want lower profile tires. This is the wife's daily. I put the Michelin Latitudes on our old Explorer and they seemed to perform well, but the reviews aren't great. I think I want a tire that is going to last longer, but I do want it to still handle as well as it currently does. There is the Michelin Premier LTX as well. What are some good handling tires that will last longer than these Hankooks did?

Our OEM Hankooks are nearly gone at 20k miles. Which tires is everyone replacing them with? I was thinking about going up to slightly bigger 265\50's. I don't think I want lower profile tires. This is the wife's daily. I put the Michelin Latitudes on our old Explorer and they seemed to perform well, but the reviews aren't great. I think I want a tire that is going to last longer, but I do want it to still handle as well as it currently does. There is the Michelin Premier LTX as well. What are some good handling tires that will last longer than these Hankooks did?
Going to a 265/50R20 tire will keep you with the maximum 3% diameter variance at 1.3%. 255/50-R20 vs 265/50-R20 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World

Peter

Okay Explorer Nation I need your Tire experience and input. Bought a Based 2012 Explorer in the Ids of February 2012, the coldest month of Ohio when nobody's out buying cars. Dealer said I raped him (Ha-Ha), I just smiled. It's a Base Explorer with 17" Factory black rims with Goodyear Fortera Tires on it. Six months of ownership and I found 18" Factory Mags with Michelin Latitude Tour P245/60R18 tires with no miles on them for a great price. So had them installed. Great Tire little louder than the Fortera's but I'm 57K miles down the road
( which would have never happened with the Fortera's 30K max.) and looking for new tires within next 3K miles.

Question, Who's running what Tire Mfg.Type? All posts welcome good and bad. Who's staying with Factory OEM tires when replacement time comes. Who's changing Tire Mfg, and if so to what and why? Bad ware, loud road noise, vibration etc. Would Prefer a 65K mile rated tire but have no ideas. I like Goodyear, Michelin and Continental's, but need your input on your experiences, open to any suggestions.
I'm all ears!

Short version: I went non-stock, because reviews showed that stock tires were average at best.

Long version: As with most things I buy, ratings and reviews make all the difference when I make a decision. I read reviews on tires on how they perform in dry/wet/ice/etc conditions. Then I correlate that with the weather that's typical for where I live & drive. For example; Zurich, Switzerland, is mostly hovering just below freezing in winter, and dry/rainy in summer. But in winter I rarely drive in snow because the city barely ever gets any, and if it does it melts away quickly. Thus, it's more likely that I'll encounter ice and wet streets than snow. So based on that, "ice" and "wet" ratings are more important for me for winter tires, and "dry" & "wet" for summer (people living in the country may be more interested in off-road style tires).

The winter tires I bought for this last winter as I needed new ones were the mouthful; "Continental Conti/WinterContact TS850 P SUV FR 110V (255/55 R20)". They cost a little more than the average tire but reviews showed they were excellent in almost any condition. And they really were. Fantastic grip on everything I encountered, and we had a very mixed winter with more snow than usual on the streets.

Anyway, I'd say find out what tires are rated well for the weather you have where you live & drive, and it's worth paying a little more for good ones.

......Question, Who's running what Tire Mfg.Type? All posts welcome good and bad. Who's staying with Factory OEM tires when replacement time comes. Who's changing Tire Mfg, and if so to what and why? Bad ware, loud road noise, vibration etc. Would Prefer a 65K mile rated tire but have no ideas. I like Goodyear, Michelin and Continental's, but need your input on your experiences, open to any suggestions.
I'm all ears!
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature. You will find lots of info here on replacement tires.

Peter

Any further feedback on Michelin Premiers vs. Defenders? Everything I'm reading about the Premiers suggest that people love the ride and performance, but they wear prematurely. I'm leaning towards the Defenders for this reason.

PS: I'm at 31.5K miles on the stock Hankooks and expect 5K or so before I need to replace.

So I pulled the trigger on Michelin Defenders since Costco was having a good sale. I must say that I'm astonished how much better they are than the stock Hankooks. Quieter, smoother, and no flat spots at the beginning of each drive. I highly recommend the Defenders.

Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature. You will find lots of info here on replacement tires.

Peter

Peter, I have tried the search function but have often found it lacking on Xenforo based forums. Is there a thread dedicated to winter wheels and tires? I inquired at the dealer today about the interceptor wheels and they wanted both arms and a leg for them...

As I understand 18” minimum size for a 2018 Sport and that a 235/65/18 is a direct size replacement. What tires are people preferring, I’m a big X-Ice 3 fan for cars. Is there a reasonable aftermarket TPMS kit that works well? I’m seeing $50CDN each for TPMS sensors and that seems like a lot...

Thanks!!

I replaced my 18" stock wheels and Hankook tires with 20" American Racing Wheels and Pirelli Scorpion Strada All Season 255/50R20 tires. They just moved the TPMS from the old wheels to the new ones.

I'll know better how they handle if we get some snow but they work great in the rain.

Peter, I have tried the search function but have often found it lacking on Xenforo based forums. Is there a thread dedicated to winter wheels and tires? I inquired at the dealer today about the interceptor wheels and they wanted both arms and a leg for them...

As I understand 18” minimum size for a 2018 Sport and that a 235/65/18 is a direct size replacement. What tires are people preferring, I’m a big X-Ice 3 fan for cars. Is there a reasonable aftermarket TPMS kit that works well? I’m seeing $50CDN each for TPMS sensors and that seems like a lot...

Thanks!!
I found this thread; Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations
I haven't priced the Interceptor wheels since I bought mine in 2014. I paid $88 each at that time.
I've never shopped for aftermarket sensors but you can try eBay and Amazon. I paid $342 for the sensors through the dealer.

Peter

I found this thread; Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations
I haven't priced the Interceptor wheels since I bought mine in 2014. I paid $88 each at that time.
I've never shopped for aftermarket sensors but you can try eBay and Amazon. I paid $342 for the sensors through the dealer.

Peter
I’ll give it a read. Thanks.

I replaced my 18" stock wheels and Hankook tires with 20" American Racing Wheels and Pirelli Scorpion Strada All Season 255/50R20 tires. They just moved the TPMS from the old wheels to the new ones.

I'll know better how they handle if we get some snow but they work great in the rain.
so you just take the stock off and bolt the 20" right on....just that easy?

Yes - swapping rims/tires is just that easy. Basically same process as putting on a spare x4.

Disclaimer - assumes you know what you are doing, have the tools, and did your homework to ensure the new wheels/tires will fit your vehicle (bolt pattern/offset/size).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. The speedo may be a little off now (~1.5%=Speedo says 60 I am probably going 61) but as long as they fit and can handle the GVWR then all is good.

Mine are gloss black instead of the gunmetal gray. FYI, the gloss black ones have been disco'd. They scrounged to find me a set. Note that mine are the 46mm offset instead of these which are showing 0 for the offset. 45mm offset is the stock offset.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/american-racing-vn215-classic-torq-thrust-ii-1-pc/p/56374

https://images.iconfigurators.com/i...achined-Lip_18850_5482_420_960_20.00_5482.png

Back