2nd Gen 5.0L Performance Mod List | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen 5.0L Performance Mod List

here are some of the pics from my build thread , keep in mind its in a two door but in all the areas that matter the fitment is the same , also if you use a string to check length my driver side is only inches longer , i tried to get as close to equal length as possible

IMG_20120808_222538.jpg

IMG_20120814_205029.jpg

IMG_20120808_222548.jpg

IMG_20120808_222538.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about boost?

5 or 6lbs Boost with the stock or very mild cam does not require much else. That makes boost a viable option. Larger injectors and a good tune may be enough to work..........I'll back that up after I get out to log some data on my 5.0 The cost for power gained should be pretty good compared to the cost of heads, cam, headers, exhaust etc etc. 6lbs is about 72 horses and 85ftlbs of torque! (9lbs is 108hp and 125ftlbs)

IMHO, where I am coming from is to leave some HP on the table to get more torque to move these trucks. I am also not looking for huge gains. Bigger heads, bigger cam, bigger exhaust, bigger etc. etc., bigger is all about higher RPM and horsepower. I want a useful flatter torque curve like a stock engine.

I recommend Desktop Dyno or another good engine simulation program. A good program can save you money and teach you much! It is nice to know what you are building before you build it. This is my last blown V8 in Desktop Dyno Power at the flywheel,10lbs of boost 351W:
wmdyno1_page_2.jpg

wmdyno1_page_2.jpg

Same engine, real world power to the ground 270HP & 383ftlbs of Torque:
dyno-121812.jpg

So, about the full exhaust dilemma.
I might have stated this before, but a few years ago I had a face to face chat with Larry Larson. He runs full exhaust on his truck and chevy2.

Told me straight up a full exhaust system will not do anything to a car that is properly set up. In his testing, removing the full exhaust system only picked up .05

5 hundredths
His exact words were " the tubing weight could be the .05"

Just sayin'
He's had a few "worlds fastest street" vehicles.

Boost is for the most part way out of most people's price range. Let along trying to find either a powerdyne or EE M90 kit are few and far between. The only other thing would be to scratch build your own turbo or supercharger kit, and that too isn't very easy.
As for exhaust, yup. Had a shop make a system on mine. On the dyno I made around 10 hp and about the same in torque

I believe if you compare the cost per horse, adding 6lbs of boost to a stock engine is less expensive than most modifications. I am talking DIY stuff and not high dollar kits.

Price-out a cam, heads, headers, and exhaust. Those would be the minimum items to approach similar gains from 6lbs. of boost.

Once again, there were 2 supercharger kits made ever of a 2nd gen 5L, and no turbo kits. I've made my supercharger set up, and have another member that lives close to me that made his own turbo kit. That adds up fast, no to mention having to work out bugs on something most people have never done before

I believe if you compare the cost per horse, adding 6lbs of boost to a stock engine is less expensive than most modifications. I am talking DIY stuff and not high dollar kits.

Price-out a cam, heads, headers, and exhaust. Those would be the minimum items to approach similar gains from 6lbs. of boost.
Once again, there were 2 supercharger kits made ever of a 2nd gen 5L, and no turbo kits. I've made my supercharger set up, and have another member that lives close to me that made his own turbo kit. That adds up fast, no to mention having to work out bugs on something most people have never done before

I am on my fourth DIY supercharged Rig. I have my opinion and the price per pony is better than a bunch of other bolt on mods. I am assuming some skill, though I am average and learned as I went.

I know the biggest expenses and have learned to work around them.

please post what kit you are using, and on what motor your are using it on. i sold my used EE kit for if i remember correctly around $2000. also, that is used. like you said, if you are going to price things out, then you can price out used cam, heads, headers and still be under a supercharger.

please post what kit you are using, and on what motor your are using it on. i sold my used EE kit for if i remember correctly around $2000. also, that is used. like you said, if you are going to price things out, then you can price out used cam, heads, headers and still be under a supercharger.

We have a difference of opinion that's ok. I'll track my expenses in my "Blown Again" thread, Will Be Blown Again!. I think with injectors, tuner, and blower I will be around $3,000.

This is a quick guestimate:
6lbs $3,000/ 72 horses = $41.66 $3,000/90 ftlbs torque = $30/ftlbs of torque
9lbs $3,000/108 horses = $27.77/horse $3,000/124ftlbs = $24.19/ftlb.

Cam, Heads, Headers, Exhaust, and Gaskets????????
$2,000/50 horses = $40/pony and probably about the same for torque. No way will you get the torque from a cam that you can with boost.

Build for torque! At 9lbs the cost per horse and ftlbs of torque is way lower in price. I challenge you to show different and show me where you can get 125ftlbs of torque from a head swap, cam change and exhaust on an Exploder????????

include how many hours of time this is going to take to make the intake and blower you bought work. if thats from a f150, it aint going to be a direct bolt on.

include how many hours of time this is going to take to make the intake and blower you bought work. if thats from a f150, it aint going to be a direct bolt on.

Yes because installing heads, camshaft, headers and exhaust is going to be a snap?

I have heard about the stupid amount of time it takes to install headers. There is nothing that special about setting up a blower like you did and there are many more than a couple people here who have done so. Sorry, just not that special or hard and it is within reach of many. I won't need all the help you did.

I may recast the awesome intake to blower manifold to make it available for others. It will bolt right on! That gives me a head start over the box you have................

You got a nice truck but how much of it did you really do anyway to be telling me how mine is going to go? Again this will be my fourth DIY blower set-up with tuning.

My momma told me I was special, but I found out otherwise, nothing special about this and doable for many!

Play nice boys.

For the record, Tim doesn't let anyone work on his truck.

We tend to post about issues we have so that others can learn. maybe that just makes people think we are doing things wrong and they wont have issues, I don't know.

I will say that my turbo has been extremely reliable. I really struggled with my motor. Now, things are so modified, weird random stuff comes and goes. my truck is a dd, and I'm expecting very near factory manners.

I say do what you want, I know tin didn't mean to insult you, he's trying to help. I can tell Yu that because I know Tim personally. No need to be insulting other guys here. you asked in your thread, and Tim gave his opinion, that's all. If you don't want to hear opinions, don't ask.

Oh, and I'm going to highly recommend doing your own tuning and a knock sensor of some kind. This would have saved me a motor as when remote tuning is done the tuner goes by past experience. If your motor is detonating, the guy remote tuning might not understand the seriousness of it and you will bend a lot of stuff (as Yu know).

Lets enjoy this and learn from each others experiences, not attack each other. And, Blown, I excited t see the results of whatever you do.

why is it so many of these discussions of speed and performance turn south?
I think if we all had been sitting around a campfire discussing this, the things said would have been taken differently. Considering this, and the fact all participants in this thread have excellent ideas and input, I am asking if we can take a step back and all try to get along?
Sometimes experience with the given resources and direction will sway a statement or thought. Keep this in mind and I am sure this will turn out to be a great discussion thread.

be happy im not going to reply to your bash post. bye special person :moon:

Oh pleaz hurt me. Common dude, sorry, but you seemed to be coming after me for my opinion.

I tried to post-up some real numbers like per pony or ftlbs or both???

Holy smokes, blown. All he's asked for (repeatedly) is a basic walk through of what you use and the costs. You're the one attacking him instead of just coming to the table with information. Man up.

I already have a cam and headers on my v8. I also have a supercharger, don't make me use it........

20180125_132355.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey look! He's back, and with more butthurt! I want to dyno it, but it will have to wait. I have a good idea of what it will make. I also will have other things to do in the mean time when my next truck gets here. I will have to get someone to do the repairs on it. I have no clue how to do them, only let people think I know what I'm doing

Back