New a/c compressor replacement

Carpin

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
Hi guys,

The a/c compressor in my 2001 sport trac is done, I'm looking for a replacement but don't know which brand should I buy.

I read mixed reviews on 4 seasons, Denso and UAC. Right now I'm lost and don't know which one gives me the best value. I'd appreciate any recommendation you might give me regarding the brand, also the difference between new and remanufacured.

Thanks for your help on this.

I have no opinion on different brands. However, I can tell you this, most A/C compressor failures, after replacement, are caused by not flushing the system to get any debris out, and by not replacing all the related parts. When compressors fail they typically leave behind shrapnel in the condenser, evaporator, lines, accumulator/drier, orifice tube and expansion valve. I believe Honda requires the condenser be replaced even with flushing. Proof of flushing is required for the compressor warranty.

Anytime you replace a compressor, I highly recommend you add an in-line filter before the compressor. I know O'Reilly's stocks them. An in-line filter should eliminate the possibility of any debris ruining your new compressor.

Aside from compressor, it is recommended to replace other A/C parts such as the condenser, drier, hoses and evaporator. You can get them at rockauto.

Aside from compressor, it is recommended to replace other A/C parts such as the condenser, drier, hoses and evaporator. You can get them at rockauto.

Replace the drier and orifice tube for sure. Flush the system with A/C flush and install an in-line filter before the compressor. IMO there's really no reason to replace the hoses, evaporator and condenser unless you see wear of have a leak, but if you want to spend the time and money it would insure optimal performance. Replacing the evaporator would be a huge undertaking. Replacing the O-rings wouldn't hurt though and don't forget to install the correct quantity of compressor oil in the compressor before charging. FYI - do not uncap the compressor or drier until you are ready to install them.

Back