Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Tailgate holes. As you can see, odd location unless it was some sort of strobe for when hatch was open.
Yea i've seen those before. Shouldnt be very diffucult to design a plug for it. I'd need the width and height of the hole, plus would you want the screw holes covered as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1w0CWXj.jpg

o4CAegb.jpg

qNUPNDX.jpg

The last one is a bit too small, you can see the edge of the roof liner peeking out so i'm gonna print one with a bit wider lip to compensate

I'm definitely interested in the gear selector cubby you made and possibly one for the 4x4 selector. Do you have a ballpark on price for them?

1w0CWXj.jpg

o4CAegb.jpg

qNUPNDX.jpg

The last one is a bit too small, you can see the edge of the roof liner peeking out so i'm gonna print one with a bit wider lip to compensate

The tailgate holes aren't to visible so those can be pretty rough. The tough one is the roof hole as it is not only visible, but large. Thinking of mounting a set of Home Link remote buttons there and maybe a pair of reading lights. Can holes be drilled in printed parts or are they too brittle for that??

PIU Overhead.jpg

The cupholder storage space is kind of neat - what was the cost to have it printed?

As for other holes in plastic trim, has anyone just thought of using any of the various body plugs or other plugs available at most auto parts/hardware stores? Not bashing anyone, but they don't look any better/worse than the 3d printed plugs above. They come in a lot of sizes/styles and it isn't that hard to drill/dremel the holes to fit whatever plugs you can find.

As for the headliner filler piece, I think I would have just opted for a cheap piece of black kydex cut into a round/rectangular shape to cover the hole. With some of the substantial damage to headliners in these vehicles, I think I would look into removing it and trying to find a local shop that could repair/recover for a reasonable price or try a DIY repair/recover. How To: Recovering Headliners 60+ photos

Not bashing anyone - just my 2 cents.

I dont see any bashing? Anyone else? Constructive criticism is always appreciated. If you dont have access to a 3D printer, body plugs are the next best thing, and IMO perfectly acceptable. I have an access to a printer so for me its easier to measure and print something than to drive down to the store, hopefully find something suitable and i hope it works. As far as the kydex idea, the biggest issue is how to attach to the headliner, also kydex isnt cheap last time i looked into making something out of it.

Cost of the printing material isnt a lot, Around $30 for 2lb roll. The cost comes from me sitting there designing something.

As far as the roof panel, no issues there, i use ABS to print and it can be drilled, cut etc to add things down the line. I have a large scale printer so anything up to 11"x11" can be printed.

I ordered some LED cobs to integrate into the holes where the lights used to be...see how that turns out.

Okay scratch that. The power to be deemed I need to pay to sell you things.

Screw that, this is something I wanted to offer to you guys as a way to pay it back for the info provided here. I make a good living doing my day job, this 3D printing stuff is just a hobby for me and I'm certainly not gonna have more people hands in my pocket to offer back to the community.

The mods can be overbearing at times I know. A lot of local libraries now will allow access to their 3D printers. If you can upload the cubby files to Thingiverse you would greatly be helping the community.

Screw that, this is something I wanted to offer to you guys as a way to pay it back for the info provided here. I make a good living doing my day job, this 3D printing stuff is just a hobby for me and I'm certainly not gonna have more people hands in my pocket to offer back to the community.

Ok I see how the Kydex could be useful, if it can be found in thick enough sheets. Maybe I could even do a fabric wrap on it to make it look a little nicer. BUT the shifter cubby hole, not sure how that could be made??? I suppose a wooden plug with the Kydex molded around that, but 3D printing seems the way to go there as shape is too complex. Thanks for all the feedback as it is good to hear what others are doing or have done.
Yes think a pair of lights and their switches flanking the Home Link unit will be sweet.

I only suggested kydez or a similar scrap of plastic for covering the larger holes in the headliner. I don't see it working out well for the cubby.

BTW if anyone wants an OEM retail console from a 2015 that was removed at purchase, let me know. I will give mine away for shipping costs. I scavenged a few panels off it, but for the most part its just collecting dust in my garage.

Hi there .. do you still have this console ?

I have a 2015 Police and just bought from EBay a console from a 2014 that had Select shift, rear heat controls and Sync. The Select Shift knob will go and I'll figure out some type of cup to put there. The rear heat controls will get filled in with more power ports and maybe light(s). Have to figure out the shift hole as not sure I have access to a 3d printer. BUT.... Funny thing is, I have an extra set of side covers (one console purchased from EBay only received the side covers :( ). So if the console is still out there you can have my side panels.

I might be able to buy a couple of MakerBot 3D printers (brand new) for 75% off. Would your files be compatible with that? I know nothing about 3D printing, but if I can get one cheap, maybe it would be fun to learn.

Tailgate holes. As you can see, odd location unless it was some sort of strobe for when hatch was open.

Those are OEM LED strobe holes for when the hatch is open at the side of the road, where anything mounted to the hatch (traffic advisor or primary strobes) would not be visible. That's usually a dead giveaway that the PIU was ordered with the "ready for the road" package from Ford, which was pricey, but would be essentially ready to use as a slick-top car for supervisors, or at least needing minimal upfit to add a prisoner/K-9 cage or what have you. Here's a brochure for the newer factory options: https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/police-vehicles/2017 Police Interceptor Utility Lighting Packages 10-7-16.pdf

Check inside your headlights and taillights, and behind the bumper cover on the driver's side...there's a good chance that you have hideaway (HAW) strobe light solutions front & rear, as well as a siren speaker behind the bumper. It takes a bit of work to remove those all, and leaves ugly holes that let water into the headlights & taillights if not sealed properly, so it's also good to check to make sure you don't have unsealed holes. You can see what the headlight HAWs look like in mine, in the PIU photo thread, they're in the upper rear corner inside the clear headlight lens.

The gaping hole where an extended overhead console could go was probably for a camera DVR/DVD vault with screen (that's where they usually go). Sure, it could be for a light/siren controller as folks in the other thread mentioned, but Ford included a ton of wiring for the lights and sirens in the center console area and behind the cig lighter socket plate, so I strongly doubt someone would've gone through the trouble to put the controller up-top. It'd be a great place to locate a larger overhead console if you found one that looks at home there.

I might have a headliner with less damage than yours if you're interested. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. It came out of a wreck I'm scrapping-out. It's not nice enough that it'd be worth selling as a replacement part, but I've considered cutting it into pieces to sell as patches, too.

Man, sometimes these things just wind-up with holes everywhere.

qNUPNDX.jpg

Did you remove the light from there intentionally? That's a factory-cut hole, some options put a second big dome task light there, but I think the default & all civ models tend to have a very small LED dome light with a nearly flush-fitting black housing.

Those are OEM LED strobe holes for when the hatch is open at the side of the road, where anything mounted to the hatch (traffic advisor or primary strobes) would not be visible. That's usually a dead giveaway that the PIU was ordered with the "ready for the road" package from Ford, which was pricey, but would be essentially ready to use as a slick-top car for supervisors, or at least needing minimal upfit to add a prisoner/K-9 cage or what have you. Here's a brochure for the newer factory options: https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/police-vehicles/2017 Police Interceptor Utility Lighting Packages 10-7-16.pdf

Check inside your headlights and taillights, and behind the bumper cover on the driver's side...there's a good chance that you have hideaway (HAW) strobe light solutions front & rear, as well as a siren speaker behind the bumper. It takes a bit of work to remove those all, and leaves ugly holes that let water into the headlights & taillights if not sealed properly, so it's also good to check to make sure you don't have unsealed holes. You can see what the headlight HAWs look like in mine, in the PIU photo thread, they're in the upper rear corner inside the clear headlight lens.

The gaping hole where an extended overhead console could go was probably for a camera DVR/DVD vault with screen (that's where they usually go). Sure, it could be for a light/siren controller as folks in the other thread mentioned, but Ford included a ton of wiring for the lights and sirens in the center console area and behind the cig lighter socket plate, so I strongly doubt someone would've gone through the trouble to put the controller up-top. It'd be a great place to locate a larger overhead console if you found one that looks at home there.

I might have a headliner with less damage than yours if you're interested. I haven't decided what to do with it yet. It came out of a wreck I'm scrapping-out. It's not nice enough that it'd be worth selling as a replacement part, but I've considered cutting it into pieces to sell as patches, too.

Man, sometimes these things just wind-up with holes everywhere.

Did you remove the light from there intentionally? That's a factory-cut hole, some options put a second big dome task light there, but I think the default & all civ models tend to have a very small LED dome light with a nearly flush-fitting black housing.

Mine still has the large round red/white dome light And thinking that might be better in back cargo area, and maybe I'll just swap the two as the rear one seems to be as you describe, very small LED.
Headliner swap is a thought, but I figured shipping costs would be outrageous, so.... I think I will end up with a filler panel of some sort, with a HomeLink (garage door opener, flanked by a pair of task lights. And you might be correct as to what was there since I have not found a ton of wiring up top except four (4) antennae's!!! Mine had no extra holes in the roof, which I thought was a plus.
HMmmm, if those back tailgate holes were lights, would be nice to just get a set of those and plug them back in, no fuss no muss. There are also a set of housings flanking the 3rd high mount brake light, which I figured were strobes as well. Of course those were also removed, but seems like there is some extra wiring in lift gate, so.... Thinking the high housings might be neat for a couple of turn signal arrows (like you find in side mirrors).
Mine did have the separation panel between the rear cargo and back seat, but that came out pretty easily, along with dozens of wires running under the console and floor spine.
I'll have to look at my lights to see if there are extra holes or not, but having trouble getting your link to open. I guess part of the mystery/fun of one of these PIU's is figuring out what they once were and what hidden surprises they still hold. In my case the company that took it out of service did what I'd consider a poor job, as the wiring was just cut and left in place with wires still connected to power (a couple of 40 amp wires, just left under the floor liner :( Lucky I found that early before much driving. THANKs for the info.

If I'm not mistaken, Ford installs Whelen Ion LED strobes in the bottom of the tailgate, that's where I'd start. It does sound like yours had all the RftR options, I can't say I've seen many around with the strobe mounts under the spoiler. The whole package was pretty spendy, with Ford charging far more for those options than the typical upfitter would, and without offering choice of vendor or style, only colors.

If you perform a Google search for "ford ready for the road interceptor", the first few links will be to the brochures, that's what I was trying to link. There's some pretty interesting info in their fleet sales pitches, some of those brochures are lengthy.

Ok so after the above info, I took closer look at my headlights and found the people who had taken my PIU out of service had in fact taken out the front strobes (can not tell on the rear ones, as I am not sure what I am looking for), and left large gaping hole into light housing. So now I either need to plug that or put back in a light. Is there a less expensive plug and play lamp/socket that I could put in?? If I got one, could I just tie it into the turn signals as I don't really need strobes. Tied in to just emergency flashers would be neat, but not sure that is possible.

Ok so after the above info, I took closer look at my headlights and found the people who had taken my PIU out of service had in fact taken out the front strobes (can not tell on the rear ones, as I am not sure what I am looking for), and left large gaping hole into light housing. So now I either need to plug that or put back in a light. Is there a less expensive plug and play lamp/socket that I could put in?? If I got one, could I just tie it into the turn signals as I don't really need strobes. Tied in to just emergency flashers would be neat, but not sure that is possible.
I'm guessing sealing the hole may be the less costly option. Otherwise you probably need to replace the entire headlight assembly. Even sealing the hole may negatively affect the ability of the housing to reflect the light properly.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing sealing the hole may be the less costly option. Otherwise you probably need to replace the entire headlight assembly. Even sealing the hole may negatively affect the ability of the housing to reflect the light properly.

Peter
Dang that's what I was afraid of... Guessing moisture and dust getting into the light housing is bad. So I will plug those hole as soon as the weather warms :)

Back