Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

That is a huge IC. The space under the hood is mighty tight, only the little amount near the hood is unused above the engine. You already have an intake arrangement, it would be tough to change directions now. Keep going.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a huge IC. The space under the hood is mighty tight, only the little amount near the hood is unused above the engine. You already have an intake arrangement, it would be tough to change directions now. Keep going.
I can spin my elbow around any way I want so that's not a problem. Ill figure it out.

Maybe an abs unit relocation? I really don't want to delete it all together. I might though.

Almost forgot about the Innovate scg-1 kit I picked up today. Wideband and boost gauge/controller with built in lean/over boost failsafe.

IMG_20180227_015404.jpg

The ABS are self contained in Fords since the early versions, but these 98-01 PCM's require the 98-01 Explorer ABS modules. My suggestion would be to move your ABS module, to a lower place if you can do the wiring etc. I don't think there is room below the MC, but you do have that clear of exhaust now right? The SN95 Mustangs have their ABS right behind the radiator on the right side, I'm putting a 99-01 module in my 92 Lincoln there soon(those are 4-channel though.)

Looking awesome!
With the placement of the turbo where it is, how about a A/A intercooler? It wouldn't increase the boost side tubing volume too much, and keep simplicity. Your planning has been working out wonderfully,

If sticking with an a/w intercooler, is a 14.5" straight thru too long?
Long Flow Style Water to Air Intercooler
I'm guessing by the time you added the 90 degree silicone couplers it would be. There's also be an issue on maf placement.

I know you will come up with a great solution.

Looking awesome!
With the placement of the turbo where it is, how about a A/A intercooler? It wouldn't increase the boost side tubing volume too much, and keep simplicity. Your planning has been working out wonderfully,

If sticking with an a/w intercooler, is a 14.5" straight thru too long?
Long Flow Style Water to Air Intercooler
I'm guessing by the time you added the 90 degree silicone couplers it would be. There's also be an issue on maf placement.

I know you will come up with a great solution.
Thanks. Yeah I'm actually thinking of going with a air to air intercooler that the same shape are the water to air I have, just smaller. I'll put it where the battery normally is. The hood will be vented to supply cool air.

Bought some knockoff pieces. 44mm wastegate 50mm bov. They actually look pretty good. We'll see how they work out.

IMG_20180301_172959.jpg

IMG_20180301_173012.jpg

Those look very nice, good choices.

pop the wastegate bladder out (with the spring(s)) and clean out the aluminum shavings. My knockoff had enough to make it worth spending a few minutes doing it.

Make sure you take pics of how the exhaust merge pipe crosses and the actual merge with the motor out. Also, detail the oil drain installation please. I'm pretty excited about how this is coming together, I bet you can hardly wait!

Yeah, thanks. I actually learned about the metal shavings from a YouTube video. I'll definitely do that. I might do a video on the rest of the build for my YouTube channel. I'll take lots of pictures at the very least. Thanks for all the support guys.

And this is how you get the steering shaft around the header. Still waiting on the shaft support. I'll probably end up buying another u-joint for the bottom too.

IMG_20180215_180756.jpg

IMG_20180302_144409.jpg

Good deal. I've thought of that, if nothing else could be done. I've seen that done for several engine swaps, it seems like no big deal to do, besides the time and cost.

I hope what I end up making will slip right in by removing the stock shaft, and putting it back last.

Update.

It's not the prettiest but my hot side is 99% finished. Just need to weld the wastegates on the elbows and weld a bung on the downpipe for the wideband. Turns out that I can't wrap the headers without interference at the bolts. I'll just use some DEI silicone spray. Not sure how well it will work but I'm out of affordable options. I don't really like the angle where the passenger side merges with the rest but I couldn't change it because of the turbo oil drain line.

IMG_20180308_112017.jpg

IMG_20180308_112017.jpg

Pics

IMG_20180308_111939.jpg

IMG_20180308_111928.jpg

IMG_20180308_112105.jpg

I see the turbo drain issue. Not ideal, but at the same time your build isn't max effort racing. I think the difference will be extremely minimal (And I'm sure you think so also). Looks fantastic!

I see the turbo drain issue. Not ideal, but at the same time your build isn't max effort racing. I think the difference will be extremely minimal (And I'm sure you think so also). Looks fantastic!
Precisely. I don't imagine that It will be terrible. I've seen setups that are much worse and still work well. Thanks

Do you think you will be able to re-install the airbox when done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shoot. I thought it would be scary tight there.

edit...oops....I mean the a/c box with the fan. Sorry, bad wording on my part.

Back