Need info on modifying the four way flasher system to act as turn signals. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need info on modifying the four way flasher system to act as turn signals.

Afternoon everyone!

I have recently became a carrier for the post office using my 99 Explorer for my route vehicle.I am driving from the passanger seat so the turn signals are awfully difficult to operate in this position but I need them at certain times.

Since i drive with the four way flashers on 99% of the time why couldnt I mount two switches on the passenger side that would interupt one side of the four way flasher effectivly making it a turn signal.

Anyone have any info on accomplising this? Any input/help is greatly apreaciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Afternoon everyone!

I have recently became a carrier for the post office using my 99 Explorer for my route vehicle.I am driving from the passanger seat so the turn signals are awfully difficult to operate in this position but I need them at certain times.

Since i drive with the four way flashers on 99% of the time why couldnt I mount two switches on the passenger side that would interupt one side of the four way flasher effectivly making it a turn signal.

Anyone have any info on accomplising this? Any input/help is greatly apreaciated.
Are you saying that you are operating a left hand drive vehicle from the passenger (right hand) seat?

Yes, with a few relays and some switches you could install ‘kill’ switches to turn off one side. I don’t know how this will effect the flasher. I would use a double throw center off switch mounted horizontally. Flip the switch to the left to kill the right side & vise versa. Center would be normal hazards.

Now I’ll give you props for proper turn signals, but how the hell are you operating the brakes?

Dom

Thank you for the suggestion Dom,

My original idea/thought is to use two push button switches that are lighted that will controll the relays. One for left turn signals and one for right signals that way I have flash indicators in front of me of what's going on. Ideally having both of them flash with the four ways. I removed the passenger side air bag so I have a nice shelf in front of me to use for my scanner, pens, etc....and thinking I would mount them to the top of that on the underside of the dash. (Reminds me of the old shelf I had on my 88 Ranger before air bags.)

Anyways to answer your question I don't have a full length center counsole in mine so if I slide the passenger seat all the way forward my 6'1" legs reach across and hit the pedals perfectly lol. It's just becoming a pain with such a drastic increase in parcels the having to get in/out much more often these days that having a set of remote pedals would probably be nice.

Everyone talks about a right hand drive vehicle being a dream and I'm like hell no, I keep a tray of mail in front of me on my lap that I'm delivering and having the stearing wheel in front of me would kill that. I also want nothing to do with driving their vehicles and pray I never have to. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 4x4 in the winter and ac in the summer. Just wish the gas mileage was better, that part seriously sucks!!!! and want to check into a possible gear change to see if that would help any sense I'm mostly doing lower speeds with a LOT of start/stops. (I welcome any info/suggestions if/how much that would help, I realize I have to do both front and rear.)

I put a spinner on my stearing wheel and I can control it perfect (although I think it's illegal to use those isn't it?).

Anyways I was more specifically looking for advice/information on where/how I can modify the existing circut/wiring. I think I just need to sit down and study the wiring diagrams some but still haven't found the time yet lol.

I'm also seriously considering yanking the drivers driver's seat and putting in a shelf unit along with a few other things.
(Sorry if spelling/Grammer suck, just got a Note 8 and something isn't working right/acting goofey.)

Anyways to answer your question I don't have a full length center counsole in mine so if I slide the passenger seat all the way forward my 6'1" legs reach across and hit the pedals perfectly lol.............

........... I put a spinner on my stearing wheel and I can control it perfect (although I think it's illegal to use those isn't it?).
So, it’s illegal for you to use a steering wheel spinner, but it’s ok to drive from the passenger seat?

I realize that you are driving slowly while delivering, but I think what you are doing is very unsafe & irresponsible, and hardly laughable. You are juggling mail on your lap and the brakes are 4 feet away. I hope you can react quickly enough when that child runs out in front of you ......

Anyway, I would interrupt the circuit after the flashers, just before the bulbs. I’d put a relay right at each bulb and control the relays in pairs.

Dom

@CDW6212R is also a mail carrier.

He may have a few tips for you.

This can't be legal. I wonder what the insurance carriers say about this?

I've seen right hand drive Jeeps and subarus, they are available for postal use, and have the space you need.

I have a simple On/Off/On switch as an additional turn signal, for my 99/93 mail truck. I added several circuits, the turn signal is just one. This is my second mail vehicle wiring project I've done, I learned a lot with my last 95 Crown Vic. This time I used the switch on the right door panel only for a ground triggering signal.

This switch simply activates one of two relays. There is an extra flasher that feeds the relays, and each relay runs to the OEM signal wires. There must be a diode placed in each turn signal path to stop the new circuit from back feeding through the regular circuits. I did that all back in 2006, remembering details is tough. I like it because any water does no harm, it could only trigger a signal, but I haven't had that happen so far.

Projectthread108.JPG

I have white strobe lights in the four corner lights of my 99 truck, soon I'll get LED replacements for those. You don't want to run the emergency flashers full time, that is very hard on the bulbs, flasher, and the wiring. I've had an issue with my tail lights, though I think my 98 truck wasn't cared for very well. LED's have helped, but the best answer is to install auxiliary strobe lights, and keep the emergency flashers off.

So, it’s illegal for you to use a steering wheel spinner, but it’s ok to drive from the passenger seat?

I realize that you are driving slowly while delivering, but I think what you are doing is very unsafe & irresponsible, and hardly laughable. You are juggling mail on your lap and the brakes are 4 feet away. I hope you can react quickly enough when that child runs out in front of you ......

Dom
I have the same control driving from the passenger seat or drivers seat makes no difference. This is the normal for a majority of the rural carriers and fully approved by one of the nations largest employers which happens to be a government agency. There's no law saying that you cant or shouldn't do this so try it some time, you would be amazed.

This can't be legal. I wonder what the insurance carriers say about this?

I've seen right hand drive Jeeps and subarus, they are available for postal use, and have the space you need.

It is very legal and the insurance carriers are fully aware of it. you can call and ask them yourself. Home Page | NRLCA Insurance Marketplace

I have a simple On/Off/On switch as an additional turn signal, for my 99/93 mail truck. I added several circuits, the turn signal is just one. This is my second mail vehicle wiring project I've done, I learned a lot with my last 95 Crown Vic. This time I used the switch on the right door panel only for a ground triggering signal.

This switch simply activates one of two relays. There is an extra flasher that feeds the relays, and each relay runs to the OEM signal wires. There must be a diode placed in each turn signal path to stop the new circuit from back feeding through the regular circuits. I did that all back in 2006, remembering details is tough. I like it because any water does no harm, it could only trigger a signal, but I haven't had that happen so far.

CDW6212R That is AWESOME! Thank you very very much for sharing. First let me say that I greatly appreciate any and all tips advice suggestions you might have especially anything that's UNRELATED to the post. You are a very smart person and I think we share A LOT of the same ideas...like pulling the drivers side airbag, one of the first things I did when I started. I have much more to say but I'm going to save it for the other post which I'm almost done responding to.

- So just to make sure I'm following correctly the switch mounted in the door right above the mirror control is an on/off/on switch that is controlling the turn signals? I am assuming left TS/off/right TS?
- Did you modify the arm rest to include the electric mirror control and the additional window controls? That looks very professional but I couldn't imagine it coming from the factory like that. The mirror control is a great idea, one which I hadn't thought off yet. Will the drivers power mirror fully adjust to where you need it to or did you have to modify it somehow to accomplish that?

I have white strobe lights in the four corner lights of my 99 truck, soon I'll get LED replacements for those. You don't want to run the emergency flashers full time, that is very hard on the bulbs, flasher, and the wiring. I've had an issue with my tail lights, though I think my 98 truck wasn't cared for very well. LED's have helped, but the best answer is to install auxiliary strobe lights, and keep the emergency flashers off.

That is another awesome suggestion, thank you so much again! I have been running the four ways full time and guessing the only thing saving me so far was putting in a new electronic flasher right before I started this job. I've also had issues with my tail lights, People keep telling me that I have a brake light out but every time I check it's working, was planning to replace the sockets next and switch everything in the taillights over to LEDS, I just did that with my instrument cluster.

-Do you happen to remember where you purchased the strobe light kit? Not a big deal but was curious. In a previous life I build new broadcast vehicles for radio stations and have installed a few of those kits. Was looking for something like that but haven't figured out what my overall lighting/warning signal plan is going to be yet which leads me to my next question.
- Is that all you have for lighting/warning signals or do you have something on the roof, amber flasher or ?
-And while I'm thinking of it what do you use for signs? I have a couple of magnets I made on the doors with plans to make some for the back hatch but haven't gotten to it yet.[/QUOTE]

The mirror switch I added works in place of the left one. I added the extra wires behind the dash, but couldn't connect both switches at the same time. The fuse will blow when both are connected, so I have just the right one functional for work. I didn't figure out how else to do that, and that was the last thing I worked on before installing the dash.

That's the original right door panel from my Mercury, I added the window switch and wiring when the truck was bare while fixing the body. Hit my link below in my signature, the 99/93 Limited. That shows 95% of how that project went, that was in 2006.

I used a USPS roof strobe light full time, I added a power outlet to the hatch jamb area. The four strobe kit was from Gall's, I'm sure their current kits are LED's now.

The best door magnet sign is the type with very thick magnet strips on the back. I've bought one of them, the rest have all been the thin kind from the Rural Carrier's magazine.

PICT2292.JPG

Well I’ll be darned, this looks like common practice.

I guess I learned something new today.

'Wrong side' mail drivers push the envelope daily
Hey, think of all of the newspaper delivery everywhere. They drive in oncoming traffic to deliver newspapers, they always have. They sit on the proper side of the vehicle, but drive on the wrong side of the road. Which would you say is more dangerous, that or what we do?

Hey, think of all of the newspaper delivery everywhere. They drive in oncoming traffic to deliver newspapers, they always have. They sit on the proper side of the vehicle, but drive on the wrong side of the road. Which would you say is more dangerous, that or what we do?

Just the other day I had to deal with one news paper carrier driving on wrong size of road while on the route on a moderately busy road. Talk about dangerous I was a little scared to be honest.

I don't know why they don't drive from passenger seat. It was stated at orientation there were no laws against it. In fact here in Michigan we are also exempt from seatbelt law but I make it too priority to wear mine whenever possable.

For me personally it wasn't anything different then driving from drivers seat when I first started like I originally thought it was going to be. Also in my case a majority of my driving has been low speed, like under 35 although I do hit 55 on some occasions. The break and gas are not an issue at all but I could see where the stearing wheel might be possibly. The spinner has helped greatly with that especially when making turns. I am also giving a lot of thought to remote pedals. The gas should be easier and break a little harder. i have a few thoughts about that and was going to do a new post once I get to that point. One of mine was to use an aftermarket pedal/master cylinder that's sold for circle track and then using a line lock or something so it didn't back feed to oem master cylinder if they make such a thing anyways.

Just wondering if you've ever given it thought or had any ideas about doing something like that CDW6212R?

I've driven this way since 1991, minus about five years that I had an LLV forced onto my route. I transferred from that route to get away from the LLV. I get about $8500 a year for vehicle expenses, and it costs about $4500 for my vehicle and gas per year. I could afford to buy a new engine or transmission every year if I had to, ha ha. People want to get an LLV so they don't have to take care of a car. I'm fine with the money this way.

My 99 Limited does fine for me, but seeing the FFV more this last Fall has made me wonder if I could hunt that, and a RHD import Explorer. If I could get my hands on an import(RHD) Explorer, I need the dash etc, plus firewall, I would convert an FFV to V8/AWD.

I wouldn't mind the RHD trucks, if I owned one and could alter it as I want it. The FFV has the great 98-01 Explorer chassis, horrible SOHC V6 and trans, but no AC, radio, and the access to the back is impossible. If I owned one, I'd remove the center parking brake control, and cut the mail tray shorter, to make room to get in the back. I'd hate to have to get out 40-50 times a day to open the big back roll up door to get a parcel or any mail. I drove the LLV for years, I know how to organize mail to reduce wasted time. The builders didn't consider that the parcels would be this heavy. I'm getting 75 a day(doesn't count little ones), and about 40 or more don't fit in the mailbox.

I can do wiring, that I have learned. Some projects take more fabrication, I'm being forced to build my own exhaust manifolds for my V8 truck, since no one else makes anything. So if I found an FFV to work with, I'd have to make another right manifold, since the steering and MC are over there. That would be a single use part, I doubt anyone would pay to duplicate it. I'm slightly hopefully I can get Cherry Bomb to copy my normal 2.5" parts, when I get them done and have time to pull them. That might be six months if I'm lucky.

Don, not to blow smoke up your butt, have you ever considered making a new thread about your vast experience for using an Explorer as a mail hauling vehicle. You have plenty of prior threads with great photos, and vast info that I think many would find very interesting even though like me, they do not have any plans or need to build one. Just food for thought, and I have read many of your positive submissions to this forum. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting idea, I have not updated my 99/93 thread because the transmission went out about six years ago, and I began using the USPS vehicle at that same time. I've been treading water with work and my 98 truck being basically stock. I've gotten older and getting anything done after work has been a struggle. I've been losing the battle to get things done for family, house, neighbor's yard etc.

I'll start posting in my 99/93 thread soon, to keep it somewhat active. I'll be slowly pulling the trans apart and rebuilding the front suspension, front diff, rear brakes etc.

I decided a while back to put some spare Crown Vic brakes on the back of that, and found out the parking brake is attached on those at the bottom(or top if you'd flip things). That can't work with our leaf spring rears. Either I could drill new holes to relocate the cable, or just find the 2010+ Ranger rear brake mounting brackets, and calipers/rotors if needed. Those are slightly bigger brakes, for heavy duty use, I would upgrade to those Ranger brakes, if you can find them. I had the CV brakes, which are almost identical(same pads, rotors might be the same).

Thanks for the nudge, I'll get to that soon.

Back