Explorer 93 correct ECU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 93 correct ECU

Eduardox88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt
Hi,

I just bought an explorer 93 auto trans but it doesn't have the ECU. I want to install the engine in my bronco II 87 manual trans but dont know if I can use a manual ECU or need to use an auto ecu.

If I use a manual ECU can have problem like poor gas mileage or something? If yes how do I determine what is the auto ECU I need?

I will appreciate any help.

Thanks

How can I find the correct ECU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should be ok with either the manual ECU or auto ECU. As I recall the auto ECU's can handle either trans, but the manual ECU's can only handle the manual trans. I hope that's right -- it's dim memory.

Bigger question is, does your 93 engine have EGR or not.

You should be ok with either the manual ECU or auto ECU. As I recall the auto ECU's can handle either trans, but the manual ECU's can only handle the auto trans. I hope that's right -- it's dim memory.

Bigger question is, does your 93 engine have EGR or not.

Perfect so I can buy the ECU F37F-A12650-YB ANY1 right?

I checked and I didn't see EGR, will check again to confirm.

Thanks Rhett

I meant to say, I think the manual ECU's can only handle manual trannies in my previous post. I'll edit it now.

My thought was, if your engine doesn't have EGR, and the '93 ECU expects to see it, you'll get a Check Engine Light.

Don't know if that would be a problem or not where you live. Where I am, I could get a '93 titled as a "Historic Vehicle", and it would not be subject to any inspections or emissions testing, so a CEL wouldn't fail it anymore.

Other than that...I would *think* you would be all right with the ECU. I saw it on e-bay by the way. Hopefully that's a good seller and it's not a dud ECU.

I meant to say, I think the manual ECU's can only handle manual trannies in my previous post. I'll edit it now.

My thought was, if your engine doesn't have EGR, and the '93 ECU expects to see it, you'll get a Check Engine Light.

Don't know if that would be a problem or not where you live. Where I am, I could get a '93 titled as a "Historic Vehicle", and it would not be subject to any inspections or emissions testing, so a CEL wouldn't fail it anymore.

Other than that...I would *think* you would be all right with the ECU. I saw it on e-bay by the way. Hopefully that's a good seller and it's not a dud ECU.

Mmm now that you say it, it's true, I don't know if the ECU I was looking expect the EGR puufff... Although here in my country (Dominion republic) this is not a problem but I wanted to try connecting the check engine light lol. Mmm I was looking the ECU F37F-12A650-YB calibration code ANY1 cause I saw its manual and is not made for California so maybe this one doesn't expect EGR.

What do you recommend me?

I really appreciate your help.

Well, I know a 91 or 92 ECU would not expect EGR, because those years never had EGR. 93 is a gamble..

I think I would take the gamble. It's not a California ECU, so there's a chance...I think the California Emissions 93's had EGR.

Republica Dominicana? How many Explorers down there? ¿Cuántos Explorers en la R.D.? :)

Well, I know a 91 or 92 ECU would not expect EGR, because those years never had EGR. 93 is a gamble..

I think I would take the gamble. It's not a California ECU, so there's a chance...I think the California Emissions 93's had EGR.

Republica Dominicana? How many Explorers down there? ¿Cuántos Explorers en la R.D.? :)

Perfect, I will try to find one this week to try starting the engine before pulling out it.

Jajaja nice translate :p Just kidding.

Well here there aren't many Explorer of that year also I think I'm the first in this country doing a 4.0 swap and also diff swap to a bronco II :D

You will also need to know if the 93 has batch fire fuel injectors, or sequential fire fuel injectors, the harness and ECM are unique to each, and, 93 might be either.

You also may or may not have an oxygen sensor on each exhaust bank, or one common one. May or not have wiring to the camshaft sensor. ( I believe this would be on sequential fire injection)

see if the injectors have the same wire color combination on each side ( right bank combination of 2 colors, left bank combination of 2 colors on all injectors) which is batch fire injection , or, if each injector uses a unique wire color combination, which would mean sequential injection. You need to know these things as the ecm is pinned uniquely for each. Good luck!

You will also need to know if the 93 has batch fire fuel injectors, or sequential fire fuel injectors, the harness and ECM are unique to each, and, 93 might be either.

You also may or may not have an oxygen sensor on each exhaust bank, or one common one. May or not have wiring to the camshaft sensor. ( I believe this would be on sequential fire injection)

see if the injectors have the same wire color combination on each side ( right bank combination of 2 colors, left bank combination of 2 colors on all injectors) which is batch fire injection , or, if each injector uses a unique wire color combination, which would mean sequential injection. You need to know these things as the ecm is pinned uniquely for each. Good luck!

Omg! A lot of things to take in count. Turdle but those difference can be on a same model year Explorer? I mean you can find one 93 explorer with sequential fuel injection and also find one 93 with batch fire?

Thanks a lot for your help

Omg! A lot of things to take in count. Turdle but those difference can be on a same model year Explorer? I mean you can find one 93 explorer with sequential fuel injection and also find one 93 with batch fire?

Thanks a lot for your help

Yes. 1993 was a transition year on the Explorer...R-12 to R-134a air conditioning, O2 sensors, injection, EGR

It's probably the most difficult year of 1st gen to dial-in an ECU for. Sorry about that.

Yes. 1993 was a transition year on the Explorer...R-12 to R-134a air conditioning, O2 sensors, injection, EGR

It's probably the most difficult year of 1st gen to dial-in an ECU for. Sorry about that.

Pufff... I don't know how to find out what ECU uses this engine cause it didn't have the ecu... Can I call Ford dealer and ask for ECU number for my VIN?

Pufff... I don't know how to find out what ECU uses this engine cause it didn't have the ecu... Can I call Ford dealer and ask for ECU number for my VIN?

You could try calling. Look here, might help: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...cal,engine+control+module+(ecm+computer),2896

If your have federal emissions it should be as shown. But its a FORD and in a transition year so maybe not always as the parts lists indicate. Thats why people are telling you to check what you have. 1994 Explorers should all have sequential injection and EGR. All 1993 should be batch. But I personally have a 1994 Ranger with 4L . It is still batch injection. All California emissions 4.0L Rangers had sequential. But apparently some 1994 Federal 4.0L Rangers also had sequential! though the parts manuals all say they are batch. Like say, its a FORD.

You could try calling. Look here, might help: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...cal,engine+control+module+(ecm+computer),2896

If your have federal emissions it should be as shown. But its a FORD and in a transition year so maybe not always as the parts lists indicate. Thats why people are telling you to check what you have. 1994 Explorers should all have sequential injection and EGR. All 1993 should be batch. But I personally have a 1994 Ranger with 4L . It is still batch injection. All California emissions 4.0L Rangers had sequential. But apparently some 1994 Federal 4.0L Rangers also had sequential! though the parts manuals all say they are batch. Like say, its a FORD.

I'm gonna try calling but also I'm planning to check if mine is sequential or batch fire looking at the injectors wiring color. When I detect that I will have another problem, how do I identify if an ECU works as batch fire or sequential? Also how do I know if ECU uses the cam shaft?

I'm really in trouble, if it has had the original ecu installed this had been easy.

Thanks Coasting2aStall

You will need to look at what your engine has, to see which ecm to use. Camshaft sensor is to the rear of engine, some have just an oil pump drive unit, some have a wired sensor there-

You will need to look at what your engine has, to see which ecm to use. Camshaft sensor is to the rear of engine, some have just an oil pump drive unit, some have a wired sensor there-

Perfect, will check this Saturday cause the explorer is far away from home. Guys I called Ford dealer here in my country (Grupo Viamar) and ask about ecu, they say they cannot give me ECU number but they can quote me the price... :mad: The price is like 1,200 dollars hahahahahahah

One of ways to check whether the engine is batch or sequential is by the wiring harness.. On the right hand (passenger) side of the engine there are two connectors on the harness.

Batch fire ones there will be one 16 pin square connector and one 8 pin round. For sequential there will be two square 16 pin connectors. I just finished putting a 93 engine into a 94 body with harness. Not only are there additional pins, but they moved some of the standard pins around on the ECU.

I think all sequential will have EGR as well.

One of ways to check whether the engine is batch or sequential is by the wiring harness.. On the right hand (passenger) side of the engine there are two connectors on the harness.

Batch fire ones there will be one 16 pin square connector and one 8 pin round. For sequential there will be two square 16 pin connectors. I just finished putting a 93 engine into a 94 body with harness. Not only are there additional pins, but they moved some of the standard pins around on the ECU.

I think all sequential will have EGR as well.

I will check those plugs but taking in count your assumption of the EGR maybe mine is batch fire because I don't see an EGR... The exausex manifold in the driver side doesn't have tread to connect the EGR hose also it doesn't have an EGR... But I notice something in the passenger exhaust manifold, there are something in one corner that maybe attached to something else but I'm not sure if the EGR goes there.

If you have one, the EGR is on the drivers side. My drivers side manifold has a flat reinforced area of casting where EGR would be, but it was never drilled out/tapped, whatever.

Back