• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ford Explorer Sport seating?

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hello all. I was just gifted a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport by my brother. Great little truck! High miles, but you can’t beat a free 4x4. Anyway, long story short my wife isn’t excited about the limitation of only 4 seats. I was wondering if it were possible and if anyone has done it, to add seats to the sport? I was wondering if it were possible to had a 3rd row in the back? Am I just wishing here or is this possible?

Any help would me much appreciated! Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4? I can fit 5.
You can buy a child jump bench/seat. They are universal. Google it. They will bolt in & only have lap belts. Not sure on legality though. & I wouldn't want to be the one sitting in them.

Do y'all have more than 2 kids? If not why bother installing more seats? They'll just eat up valuable storage space.

4? I can fit 5.
You can buy a child jump bench/seat. They are universal. Google it. They will bolt in & only have lap belts. Not sure on legality though. & I wouldn't want to be the one sitting in them.
Yeah my 01 only has two seats in the rear. So only 4 passengers. There’s no middle seatbelt in the back. My wife picks up her nieces often and having the extra seats would allow her to keep doing that. I’m sure it’s a long shot but I didn’t know if it were possible or not.

Do y'all have more than 2 kids? If not why bother installing more seats? They'll just eat up valuable storage space.
We’ll eventually have more lol. But my wife picks up her nieces quite often to take them on adventures. So with the limitation of 4 seats she wouldn’t be able to do that in the explorer.

You can fit 3 in the back. Yeah the middle has no seat belt though.

I’m sure there’s no approved way to add a third row. If you want to safely haul more people, especially kids, you’ll need a bigger car.

If y'all have another vehicle I'd suggest leaving it be. Not worth the hassle, safety concerns, and reduced space to install a 3rd row. Spend that time and money on a lift, bigger tires, and a locker or 2. Take the wife out camping in some places most vehicles can't make it.

After further discussion my wife decided she wants a van now haha. So the explorer will now be my work/fun truck!

You could swap a 60/40 seat setup in the front and fit a total of 5 legally.

Has anyone on this site done this?
If you dig hard enough you'll probably find a thread on it. More guys went the opposite route with rangers, bench to captains chairs with the center console.
A ranger bench seat isn't wide enough for 3 adults. Barely wide enough for 2 adults and a child.

Back