Ford explorer to keep or sell ...

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
hi guys,
as some might know I got a second hand 2012 Ford explorer limited 3.5L just 3 weeks ago. I did not check the car properly as I thought the car was just under 35k miles and full original.
since then I have had various issues with this car..
started with a knock on bumps which ended to be a complete suspension overall including rack and pinion.
then was the issue with "terrain management fault" which made me replace the throttle body. now just after a day it was replaced, the car gave up on the highway with a very stiff steering and "steering assist fault" and many other errors... the car had to be towed to the dealer and they will start on Monday... I am very very sure this fix will be expensive...

at this point I am very confused as to pay for the repair or bite the bullet and sell the car as it is..
if I repair it, is this car reliable ? I read some horror stories about the faults coming back within few months and I am also not sure if it will eliminate the issue at all.... because what started from "terrain management fault" will end up replacing throttle body and power steering fault ...

or shall I sell it off in the market as it is... I will loose a lot of money and probably end up with a very old car because I don't really have the money for a new car anymore....

I am not blaming Ford, maybe I just got a bad car or my luck ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi guys,
as some might know I got a second hand 2012 Ford explorer limited 3.5L just 3 weeks ago. I did not check the car properly as I thought the car was just under 35k miles and full original.
since then I have had various issues with this car..
started with a knock on bumps which ended to be a complete suspension overall including rack and pinion.
then was the issue with "terrain management fault" which made me replace the throttle body. now just after a day it was replaced, the car gave up on the highway with a very stiff steering and "steering assist fault" and many other errors... the car had to be towed to the dealer and they will start on Monday... I am very very sure this fix will be expensive...

at this point I am very confused as to pay for the repair or bite the bullet and sell the car as it is..
if I repair it, is this car reliable ? I read some horror stories about the faults coming back within few months and I am also not sure if it will eliminate the issue at all.... because what started from "terrain management fault" will end up replacing throttle body and power steering fault ...

or shall I sell it off in the market as it is... I will loose a lot of money and probably end up with a very old car because I don't really have the money for a new car anymore....

I am not blaming Ford, maybe I just got a bad car or my luck ...

Most likely your power steering rack needs to be replaced. There was a warranty extension on 11, 12 and early 13s to cover a 1 time replacement.

Not sure how that will work in the Philippines. It is roughly a $1,500 replacement and was common in the early models (hence the warranty extension to 150,000 miles).

yes I had informed them but they said in the Philippines it's just programming for free and not replacing. is there anyway I can get then to do this for free even after 6 years and being second owner ?

I believe it was extended to 10 years for free replacement. The reprogramming was the original fix, now it is replacement.

Here, it explains a software update for everyone which all it does is prevent 100% loss of power steering if it fails until the next restart. But if it has already failed, it is replaced. The software update does not fix the priblem. Originally when it failed, all power steering was immediately gone. The update fixes it so you can control the vehicle still with reduced steering until you are safe. Once you shut it off and start back up, it is then gone. It is more a safety update then a fix.

14S06 - Reprogram Power Steering Control Module and Steering Gear Extended Coverage - 2011-2013 Ford Explorer

Thanks for the link. After I typed in my cars VIN, it shows I have three recalls. But then in the small print it says it’s only for the USA.
Is there any link which says the warranty extended for 10 years or 150k miles? I think I will have to fight my way to get them to replace the power steering for free

thanks for sharing this with me.
so far Ford has not come back to me yet. they are still looking into the problem...
I will keep you guys updated

just got a call from the dealer. they are saying that the error is because of a faulty rack and pinion and it needs to be replaced... they are asking for $6000!!!! they are saying that the power steering assembly is not faulty hence i cannot claim for the warranty.

is this possible? the rack and pinion costing 600,000? and because of that the car showing me "power steering assist failure"? i thought the failing rack and pinion would just make noises.....

just got a call from the dealer. they are saying that the error is because of a faulty rack and pinion and it needs to be replaced... they are asking for $6000!!!! they are saying that the power steering assembly is not faulty hence i cannot claim for the warranty.

is this possible? the rack and pinion costing 600,000? and because of that the car showing me "power steering assist failure"? i thought the failing rack and pinion would just make noises.....

If you are getting a power assist failure, it is the EPAS. The document I posted shows the error codes and diagnostics.

The dealer is hosing you..

Here is the Ford process. Page 5 lists the DTCs. If ANY of them were present, the steering rack gets replaced and it is a covered repair. This is exactly the procedure the dealer needs to follow per Ford.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjADegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw12w5LPfARdqhxE6RTY7KJx

I would print thus and march into the service managers office and ask what the hell is going on.

thanks.
I have emailed all of the above links to the dealer... they said they will get back to me tomorrow... now I have two big questions
1) I had repaired the rack and pinion by a third party and I just hope they don't use that as an excuse for not covering this under a recall

2) after the repair how reliable is this car? have people replaced the steering and completely solve this problem? more than anything a car has to be reliable ...

thanks.
I have emailed all of the above links to the dealer... they said they will get back to me tomorrow... now I have two big questions
1) I had repaired the rack and pinion by a third party and I just hope they don't use that as an excuse for not covering this under a recall

2) after the repair how reliable is this car? have people replaced the steering and completely solve this problem? more than anything a car has to be reliable ...

Back when replacements started coming out, there were a few that had it happen again but that seems to have gone away. Personally I think there was still some bad ones in inventory. The issue really settled down a few years ago. I would not expect it to happen again to you.

Also, this particular repair if it was out of pocket would be in the $1,500-$1,800 US dollars. The part is $800-$900 plus labor and an alignment is needed.

If the 3rd party replaced the rack/pinion with Ford OEM parts, they are covered by a 2 yr unlimited mile warranty through Ford even with a 3rd party. Being the EPAS is electronic, I don't see how they could blame one issue on the other. This is a failed in one of the sensors on the electrical board.

Back when replacements started coming out, there were a few that had it happen again but that seems to have gone away. Personally I think there was still some bad ones in inventory. The issue really settled down a few years ago. I would not expect it to happen again to you.

Also, this particular repair if it was out of pocket would be in the $1,500-$1,800 US dollars. The part is $800-$900 plus labor and an alignment is needed.

If the 3rd party replaced the rack/pinion with Ford OEM parts, they are covered by a 2 yr unlimited mile warranty through Ford even with a 3rd party. Being the EPAS is electronic, I don't see how they could blame one issue on the other. This is a failed in one of the sensors on the electrical board.

Thanks for helping me out with this... i think replacing the assembly will take care of the "power steering assist failure" but wht about the other two errors which are "Service advantrac" and "terrain management fault" ? are they all inter connected to each other? or they are a different part and could come up even after the power steering repair? and do i have to pay for it seperate?

All connected. When you lose your power assist, the other stuff won't work either.

All connected. When you lose your power assist, the other stuff won't work either.

Is it true that ford will only replace the steering assembly once for free? what if the problem reoccurs again within months or years? its not covered again?

Is it true that ford will only replace the steering assembly once for free? what if the problem reoccurs again within months or years? its not covered again?
I'm not sure about that but the warranty on genuine Ford and Motorcraft replacement parts is 24 months.

Peter

Yes, only once.

I'm not sure about that but the warranty on genuine Ford and Motorcraft replacement parts is 24 months.

Peter

That is only on parts you buy. If he gets this covered under the recall, it is a one shot deal.

Any update yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any update yet?

hi, the info given to me is just too vague....
the dealer says that the fault is in the Rack and Pinion and that they have checked their system, it says that it is going to be covered under "warranty" therefore the fix is free of charge....
i asked them that if this was a recall program because i can see online that the car is recalled for power streering problems.. she said that the power steering is fine there is no fault in that, the mechanic has found the problem in the rack and pinion ... after this part is replaced for free, the mechanic will see for any other errors or parts that need replacement and that the terrain management fault or service advantrac or awd off is a complete different problem and not related with the rack and pinion..

at this point i was very puzzled and i decided to leave with so many questions as it clearly shows the service rep doesnt know anything and all she keeps saying is "rack and pinion" , "replace under warranty" , "dont worry sir, this is free of charge" ....

there are just two scenario which i can really think off
1) this is really the recall program which she keeps saying as "warranty" and what they will replace is the power steering assembly which she keeps referring to as "rack and pinion".

2) the previous owner changed the rack and pinion at some point before he sold the car to me. and now i am being covered under warranty because of that. surely my car is not under warranty as its 2012 model and i had just paid around 500 bucks for throttle body replacement...

coming back to the old messages, so the recall parts don't come with any sort of warranty at all? what if it again malfunctions within months? i have to pay for that ??

Back