My brake lights are stuck on, sorta | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My brake lights are stuck on, sorta

londo M.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited
I noticed today my 3rd brake light was on when I got out of the car. I backed up to my garage door and thru a little trial and error I find my brake lights are being energized by the running lights. if I turn the lights completely off, the brake lights work fine. If I turn any ext. lights on the brake lights come on and do not change in brightness, but my 3rd light does flash from an after market flasher unit when I push the brake pedal. I believe it is water getting in some where as we had wet snow last night and today has been damp and rainy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You sure it's not caused by the aftermarket flasher?

Likely caused by the modification you performed.

Peter

The flasher is only on the 3rd brake light which is not wired to the parking lights. So how can 2 curcits be crossed?

The flasher is only on the 3rd brake light which is not wired to the parking lights. So how can 2 curcits be crossed?
If everything was good before you did the mod and then you had the issue right after then it would leave one to think the issue is connected to the mod itself. I don't know how for sure but it seems logical. How difficult would it be to reverse the modification to check for sure?

Peter

The mod I put in back in 2013. If my lights are completely off, the brakes work as intended. if my lights are on or on auto and on full the brake lights are energized and the 3rd brake light is on but if I hit the brakes the 3rd b/l does flash brighter. I was out all day at a wedding so tomorrow I'm going to pull both back lights blow them out and re-grease them.

The mod I put in back in 2013. If my lights are completely off, the brakes work as intended. if my lights are on or on auto and on full the brake lights are energized and the 3rd brake light is on but if I hit the brakes the 3rd b/l does flash brighter. I was out all day at a wedding so tomorrow I'm going to pull both back lights blow them out and re-grease them.
A recent issue then.

You may of lost a common ground and now the light that lost its ground is grounding through the other lights.

Not sure of the taillight/brake light bulbs in the Explorer, but are they dual filament? Lighter filament for tail lights and heavier for brakes?
If so, could it be possible that one of the filaments in the a bulb broke and is crossing to the other essentially causing the brake lights to be energized.
Just a thought.

Not sure of the taillight/brake light bulbs in the Explorer, but are they dual filament? Lighter filament for tail lights and heavier for brakes?
If so, could it be possible that one of the filaments in the a bulb broke and is crossing to the other essentially causing the brake lights to be energized.
Just a thought.
According to the 2011 Manual, both tail and stop lamps are LED.

Peter

Back