PLAN B Build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well we have a transmission now:bounce:

Just picked up 5R55E 4x4 trans out of a '08 ranger fx4 with only 45k. Guy threw in the auto 1354 and shaft in for a extra $50 so he didn't have to separate it. :thumbsup:

Edit: I was able to verify the trans only has 45,423 miles on it before the truck was in a accident in 2014....and crazy enough, it's from Maine originally :eek:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I present to you The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

full&d=1519523238.jpg

Which one is the bad and which one is the ugly?

Which one is the bad and which one is the ugly?
I noticed you didn't ask which was the good one;)

In other news we now have a fully running no check engine light, SOHC! :bounce:

I was able to swap out the fuel pump and she pretty much started right up. She has not run in about 7 or 8 years. Once I got her to idel without dying she purrs like a kitten. No chain guide noise that I can hear.

Tommorow I'll double check everything get her up to operating temp and see how she does. Once that is complete we can start complete tare down if the Navajo.:D Very Exciting!

My wife came from a Jeep family and tells me she wants one so she can take the top off. I tell her every day I’ll just cut the top off of the Explorer. Seeing this makes me like the idea more and more. ;)

So I started to do some more research and comparison of the two trucks as I started to pull apart the navajo, removing the hood and dash components. This project is snowballing quickly :shifty:.

The easy way is to toss a ohv back in and be done..... what fun is that?:laugh:.......:wtf: but I digress.

• Issue #1. Engine Cage
The Navajo has a beautiful cage the protects the heart of it, but also supports the coilovers. This may or may not be in the way of the SOHC and all of it's wide splendor. This may need to be cut out and reinstalled later, which brings us to issue #2.
  • Issue #2 Heater Box
The heater box on the Navajo(1st gen) is not designed for a wider motor like a 5.0 or even wider SOHC. There are two solutions: A. Modify the original with heat or cut and patch. B. Swap the 2nd Gen box in, as I have the complete donor....this leads back to issue #1 as there may not be room for this with the engine cage and also swapping out the interior heater stuff, which leads into issue #3.
  • Issue #3 Interior Roll Cage
The Roll Cage was built around and through the dash, and never was intended to removed again. I really don't want to cut and reweld the cage, with the way it's built in. (JP is way more friendly to doing this based on cage design) I pretty sure I could get the dash out with minimal damage, except the 4 top dash bolts are hidden behind the dash bar. The only two ways out, are cutting the cage (which I'm not crazy about) or removing the windshield. Maybe and a big Maybe, is they could be accessed with a flex wrench. Removing the windshield has other advantages for access too, and having it replaced is really not that expensive. I'm pretty sure this was done when the cage was originally built, as the glass is from Mexico where the cage was done.

So this is my snowball slipping through my hands at the top of the hill... so pull up a seat and enjoy the festivities :popcorn:

So I started to do some more research and comparison of the two trucks as I started to pull apart the navajo, removing the hood and dash components. This project is snowballing quickly :shifty:.

The easy way is to toss a ohv back in and be done..... what fun is that?:laugh:.......:wtf: but I digress.

• Issue #1. Engine Cage
The Navajo has a beautiful cage the protects the heart of it, but also supports the coilovers. This may or may not be in the way of the SOHC and all of it's wide splendor. This may need to be cut out and reinstalled later, which brings us to issue #2.
  • Issue #2 Heater Box
The heater box on the Navajo(1st gen) is not designed for a wider motor like a 5.0 or even wider SOHC. There are two solutions: A. Modify the original with heat or cut and patch. B. Swap the 2nd Gen box in, as I have the complete donor....this leads back to issue #1 as there may not be room for this with the engine cage and also swapping out the interior heater stuff, which leads into issue #3.
  • Issue #3 Interior Roll Cage
The Roll Cage was built around and through the dash, and never was intended to removed again. I really don't want to cut and reweld the cage, with the way it's built in. (JP is way more friendly to doing this based on cage design) I pretty sure I could get the dash out with minimal damage, except the 4 top dash bolts are hidden behind the dash bar. The only two ways out, are cutting the cage (which I'm not crazy about) or removing the windshield. Maybe and a big Maybe, is they could be accessed with a flex wrench. Removing the windshield has other advantages for access too, and having it replaced is really not that expensive. I'm pretty sure this was done when the cage was originally built, as the glass is from Mexico where the cage was done.

So this is my snowball slipping through my hands at the top of the hill... so pull up a seat and enjoy the festivities :popcorn:

When I heard your engine plans for the car, I thought to myself that it might be easiest and worth it to cut out the engine cage and reinstall it, possibly modified, after the engine is in. I didn't think about the heater box. But you do have the donor car heater parts. Not sure what will be needed with that. And if the rear bars of the engine cage are in the way, cut em out. Weld in something that will fit. Your gonna get your master fabricator badge after all of this is done.

The windshield was removed when the cage was installed. You can even see they forgot to put the bottom weather stripping on.

And this is why I wanted a simple project.

If you want to keep the ohv in the car, maybe I can take the sohc donor off your hands and put that in the b2 :D

If you want to keep the ohv in the car, maybe I can take the sohc donor off your hands and put that in the b2 :D

Ha! I'll have your ohv, trans back to you soon. Just need to get a engine hoist.

Funny part is I picked up the new trans down the hill from you.

Ha! I'll have your ohv, trans back to you soon. Just need to get a engine hoist.

Funny part is I picked up the new trans down the hill from you.

Take your time. The B2 will be keeping the 2.9 through the summer. because the ac works.

Take your time. The B2 will be keeping the 2.9 through the summer. because the ac works.
Yeah, my wife wants the junk out of the driveway though:D

Yeah, my wife wants the junk out of the driveway though:D
Tell her to get back in the kitchen and make you a sandwich...Just Kidding

I have an engine hoist here at the house that you could borrow, but it would cost less to rent one than the gas to come get it, and bring it back.

Tell her to get back in the kitchen and make you a sandwich...Just Kidding

I have an engine hoist here at the house that you could borrow, but it would cost less to rent one than the gas to come get it, and bring it back.

Saying things will ban me to the camper for sure, and sense it's in Lancaster being fixed, I'll pass.

I just need to go buy a hoist. My dad has one too, but I think he's worried he will not get it back:laugh:

Only because have my tools are still at you house! Lol

Only because have my tools are still at you house! Lol
Only thing I have is the miter saw, which I have offered to send back many times.

So just like when I was a little boy, when I should be sleeping, I'm playing with my cars:D

Navajo Working Tailgate

But now you'll have to carry that chips box around with you everywhere.

But now you'll have to carry that chips box around with you everywhere.

I have to add the cables still goof:rolleyes: Besides you can never have enough chips on the trail:D

The gate also works just like a traditional pick up gate, where it is removable in about 2 seconds. I don't think we'll see a rash of stolen Mazda Navajo tailgates on the black market though.

Yeah, just like when he was a little boy, he was always taking something apart, like the clocks, the tv, etc!!! Lol

Back