roof mount antenna | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roof mount antenna

I believe if you order through Visual Garage and send them your vehicle's paint number, they will paint the 'fin' before sending it out. I believe the majority of those that installed this antenna went through that dealer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VG Shark Fin

I believe if you order through Visual Garage and send them your vehicle's paint number, they will paint the 'fin' before sending it out. I believe the majority of those that installed this antenna went through that dealer.

Peter

Got mine from VG (J4 paint) all most 2 years ago and I am very happy with it. Easy to install and I don't see any lose of Sirus signal at all.

No one has said anything about the foam gasket, don't think anyone has even noticed the shark fin at all.

Curious what the engineers were thinking if you are loading the roof rack with a mattress or something large that would break the antennae. Seems like unscrewing the antennae post would be a nice feature. I couldn't find any information on removing the roof antennae for the 2016 to 2018 Explorer antennae. Is there anything out there to help with this issue? Thanks.

Curious what the engineers were thinking if you are loading the roof rack with a mattress or something large that would break the antennae. Seems like unscrewing the antennae post would be a nice feature. I couldn't find any information on removing the roof antennae for the 2016 to 2018 Explorer antennae. Is there anything out there to help with this issue? Thanks.
The 2016 - 17 have a shark fin antenna. The 2018 is a sort of 'hybrid'. The mast should be removable. Here is the antenna without the mast.

Peter

2018antenna.jpg

So just to be sure, can I assume that the mast can be unscrewed and removed to protect it from breakage when carrying roof related objects?

So just to be sure, can I assume that the mast can be unscrewed and removed to protect it from breakage when carrying roof related objects?
Not having seen it personally, I'm guessing you can. The 2011 - 2015 models were shipped without the 'mast' installed and it was up to the dealer to install it. In several cases, documented here, they forgot to do so. The picture (cropped) I posted is of a 2018 that I found on the Internet. You can see where the mast would screw in.

Peter

The long antenna mast can be screwed and unscrewed from the shark fin base on the 18. Has to do it to get into my garage.

Back