Completed Project - Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
shoot. I thought it would be scary tight there.

edit...oops....I mean the a/c box with the fan. Sorry, bad wording on my part.
AC won't fit because of the downpipe. I tried to come up with a way to keep it but its just too tight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to use a non AC housing. That's the only thing I could figure out

We all know how tight it is there. I was hoping you were able to defy the laws of spacial relationships though. lol.

I think I've gone a year or two at a time without using my air conditioning at all. Other years, I typically only use it for brief periods a few times a year.

I'm sure the results are going to be worth the trade off. I'm guessing your climate is reasonably moderate, although it must get humid there.

That should work great. I saw many self made pipe designs in Mustangs that were huge power cars, and yours look very similar. I would have done that with my 92 Lincoln, but decided I didn't need 600+hp. I'd wreck the car much faster that way.

Looking at the size of the turbo, and only wanting 450hp, I think the waste gate will be working overtime keeping the boost down. lol

This is going to be fun.

It's going to be very fast. I hope the down pipe and rear pipes are at least 4" area or bigger. It'll push a ton of air, figure it like the volume of a 500CI engine. That's a boost guess of about 8-9psi.

3.5" downpipe is all I could squeeze between the frame and transmission. Even then I need to trim an "ear" off of the trans.
Once I go to the 351w I'll have to rework the exhaust.

3.5" downpipe is all I could squeeze between the frame and transmission. Even then I need to trim an "ear" off of the trans.
Once I go to the 351w I'll have to rework the exhaust.

How long is that section where it's tight, can you use a short piece of oval 4" pipe there? 3.5" pipe is fairly large, you'd just want the control to be the waste gate, not any restriction intake or exhaust.

It's around 5" probably. I originally was going to use oval pipe but it won't fit. After trimming that ear off the space is close to 3.68" square. The 3.5 round just does fit.

Gotcha, I'm sure that will be fine, it's bigger than most Explorers so far.

Steering is mocked up and is very smooth.

29028181_1853574094654934_6223085364802748416_o.jpg

Did you buy the intake set up for injectors already or did you drill holes for them?

Did you buy the intake set up for injectors already or did you drill holes for them?
I bought it drilled. It was second hand.

Short crappy video of the shaft. I'll be doing more videos soon on the whole build.
https://youtu.be/ZPPypq4ozlo

Short crappy video of the shaft. I'll be doing more videos soon on the whole build.
https://youtu.be/ZPPypq4ozlo

That's interesting. Did you have to have the gained space right next to where the upper joint is? I ask because the longer the shaft in the added upper section is, the less angle the joints would have. There's a lot of forces going on in those joints, beyond the normal levels.

I like the idea of that, I'm not sure where the most precious space will be when I get to making manifolds. I'd like to make the log manifold so the front part goes out and around the shaft, and let it remain straight(a new aftermarket shaft made up though).

That's interesting. Did you have to have the gained space right next to where the upper joint is? I ask because the longer the shaft in the added upper section is, the less angle the joints would have. There's a lot of forces going on in those joints, beyond the normal levels.

I like the idea of that, I'm not sure where the most precious space will be when I get to making manifolds. I'd like to make the log manifold so the front part goes out and around the shaft, and let it remain straight(a new aftermarket shaft made up though).
Yeah, the rear two cylinders/pipes had interference. I thought about extending the pipes out to go around the steering but I figured this was easier.

TONs of carbon but no cylinder ridge and I still see cross hatch patterns on all 8 cylinders. Lots of cleaning before I port them. Then it's on to the turbo drain fitting in the oil pan.

IMG_20180315_215255.jpg

IMG_20180315_215359.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are using a steel pan right? Those are easier to install a fitting to drain the oil back through.

Back