PLAN B Build | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That tailgate is awesome!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Picked up a 94 Sport 4x4 for dirt cheap today. Bought it for the manual transfer case and linkage. It was actually cheaper the just a case.:eek:

I'm going to pull what I need, and Zukman will be parting it out, if anyone needs anything.:thumbsup:

Is it running?

Is it running?

Negative, blown head gasket. We could not get it to kick over, so there is something else electrical or the alarm is on. Not sure. We got it for a parts truck. Sad part is, the body is perfect. But I'll probably keep the doors for spares and cut out the quarter panels. Seats are better than the Navajo, but the door panels and dad are toast. 214k on it.

UPS man brought another gift today. This one also from the hard to find pile.

Complete set of grill, and lights. Not a chip or scratch. Taillights look almost brand new. Just need a clean up, but impressive condition after 27 years in the heart of country.

full&d=1521869137.jpg

Is that MAZDA or MADAZ! ?

I assume this ain't gonna be a road worthy truck, so why keep the heater box? Turn the AC compressor into an air compressor, pull the condenser for a big trans cooler, and pull the HVAC box under the dash for some additional storage.

I assume this ain't gonna be a road worthy truck, so why keep the heater box? Turn the AC compressor into an air compressor, pull the condenser for a big trans cooler, and pull the HVAC box under the dash for some additional storage.

Actually it is. Probably more so then JP. JP is a circus to drive. I would probably drive it more on the street if it wasn't for the paint job.

And think about it, a open vehicle with no heater. ...that doesn't sound fun. A/C I can probably live with out, but why not if it works. Canvas top will probably be in the future.

I actually think I can get the full 4 wheel ABS to work with the SD axles for the street

To make the motor swap easier, I have been thinking a lot about removing the radiator support. Just drill out the spot welds, and weld or maybe even just bolt back in after. This would possibly avoid any cutting of the engine cage.

I wish there was a nice way to "un-bolt" the entire front clip. Inner fenders and all. It just would make life so much easier at times.

Look Maa! No Chip box :D

Say, what are you going to use that wiper/washer fill hole and plug for? I've got that in my 99 truck(93 body), and it looks so good that rubber plug there, I wonder what I could do with that?

Projectthread101.jpg

Say, what are you going to use that wiper/washer fill hole and plug for? I've got that in my 99 truck(93 body), and it looks so good that rubber plug there, I wonder what I could do with that?

View attachment 157211
12 volt outlet might fit. I've been meaning to check

12 volt outlet might fit. I've been meaning to check

I did consider locating mine there too, but I chose the vertical area because mine is running a strobe light full time. I figured water would get into it less likely there. I think you could put one behind the fill plug, for use not when raining. I also wired mine with 30amp wiring and fuse, to run a cheap compressor if needed.

Whiskey flask

View attachment 157211

This hole will be covered. This portion on either side will become the upper bracket for the spare tire carrier. When I get to building that part a ways down the road you'll see.

So with that the upper ends of the tailgate will get cut off, I just left thong on for now.

If I was going to run power back there, I would do a inverter with a normal 110 outlet using the wiper arm hole;)

That sounds good, and a 110 outlet would be great for away from civilization.

Little update, getting close to pulling the motor. I just have to disconnect a/c, ps, fuel line and unbolt the trans. All the wiring is pulled away from the body, and there is no wiring beyond the dash going back, except what runs along the frame. It all just in a big pile in the cab:D

Nice, I like the colors also.

I've got an old personalized plate I had made for my Ranchero, but hardly got to use it. It looked great, and back then TN used blue letters about the same as the best Ford blue. Now we have green or black letters. I'd like to reuse that old plate, and get a current one to put in the back window, if they'll let me.

Back