Rear license plate hardware | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear license plate hardware

Magnetic_EX, got the hardware yesterday. It worked exactly as we expected. The two "rubber feet" popped out, and two female receiver plugs fit right in and accepted the bottom mounting screws for the plate. The part number posted was for four, so I actually have two spares now.

Amazing!!

Off to Ford I go!! Not sure why they would cost save on a simple part as that!

Glad there is a fix for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amazing!!

Off to Ford I go!! Not sure why they would cost save on a simple part as that!

Glad there is a fix for it.
I suspect the two rubber feet actually cost more than those two cheap plastic plugs. No idea why they would put those on. Also if you're anywhere near me I'd be happy to give you the spare two at no charge. Ended up not getting them from the place you saw as they were backordered. Found them on eBay. Just search for the part number. There are several places that had them however most of them were backordered hence why I bought from eBay; not my favorite place to shop.

So I purchased the WeatherTech license plate holder with the clear cover and installed them today. Front one went on fine. But the rear, I had to go to my local O'Reilly Auto Parts store and buy some of those square, plastic fasteners to go in the square holes. I got the lowest profile ones that I could. The problem is that the area where the plate goes in the back is slightly curved so a flat license plate holder has slight gaps on the sides. This is not what I want, I want something snug and that will make contact with the rubber seal on the WeatherTech holder. Anyone have any luck with getting it snug or finding a curved plate holder? Or even a riser for underneath that I could add so that it will make a flat mount? Should I try heating it up and bending it?

Mine fits perfectly. From weathertech as well. Maybe defective plate cover if it's got a curve to it? Post pic....

I just installed new plates and re-used the dealer's license plate frames and they fit perfectly. Rear is flat, no curve at all.

Peter

So I purchased the WeatherTech license plate holder with the clear cover and installed them today. Front one went on fine. But the rear, I had to go to my local O'Reilly Auto Parts store and buy some of those square, plastic fasteners to go in the square holes. I got the lowest profile ones that I could. The problem is that the area where the plate goes in the back is slightly curved so a flat license plate holder has slight gaps on the sides. This is not what I want, I want something snug and that will make contact with the rubber seal on the WeatherTech holder. Anyone have any luck with getting it snug or finding a curved plate holder? Or even a riser for underneath that I could add so that it will make a flat mount? Should I try heating it up and bending it?

Post a pic of your issue might help us all understand.

I had bought the weather tech covers and returned them as they didn't fit my provinces plate very well. Plate was too long and wide for it.

Here are pics of what the gap looks like. The holes for the square adapters to go into and then take a screw are all level and flat but it's the outer edges where the tailgate curves slightly, this is what is causing the slight gap. Probably not much I can do about it unless I want to try bending the frame to accommodate it. I tried the front WeatherTech plate holder and cover as well as my the ones from my wife's car, all had the same thing so that ruled out any of them being defects, unless all 4 are bad, which I doubt. I know the gap is slight but it just bugs me, especially since the WeatherTech's have a rubber gasket on them and are supposed to sit flush and make contact all around.

File%20Mar%2020%2C%2010%2008%2026%20AM.jpeg

File%20Mar%2020%2C%2010%2010%2045%20AM.jpeg

I see what you mean now. The curve is top to bottom. I thought it was left to right. Not sure in this case if I'd want the frame touching the body all the way around. I would think that there is always the chance of vibrations etc. possibly causing paint damage over time.

I think as long as it's tightly screwed down top and bottom, it's not going to move or vibrate. If it bothers you, ask weathertech to replace it. I'd be fine with it.

I'll just have to see once I get my actual plate in the next few weeks. I'll follow up then.

LOL.... Yes I was also annoyed that my new 17 only had 2 screws vs my 15 having four. This was the first mod i did. I pull out the two bottom rubber nipples and replaced them with ones that closely matched the top ones from the local auto parts store. holes are the same size so any will work. The tops stick out a bit so i found ones as close as I could but it may be a 1/16 less. I added 2 small o rings behind them because the factory ones have rubber as well to keep water out. and they snapped into the factory holes perfectly. My plate and frame looks much better and feels more secure now having 4 screws. Only debate now is the chrome stainless screws or black stainless screws with my carbon fiber frame.

Magnetic_EX, got the hardware yesterday. It worked exactly as we expected. The two "rubber feet" popped out, and two female receiver plugs fit right in and accepted the bottom mounting screws for the plate. The part number posted was for four, so I actually have two spares now.
Any chance you could please post a link to the bottom receiver plugs or where you got them? All the photos in this thread are no longer visible, thanks!!

Any chance you could please post a link to the bottom receiver plugs or where you got them? All the photos in this thread are no longer visible, thanks!!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The reason the pictures are gone is because Photobucket no longer offers free hosting/linking. Hopefully the member you requested the pictures from is still active. Last time on the Forum was Oct. 30th. You could try sending him a PM if there is no reply to your request.

Peter

My Explorer only came with one of those bottom nipples, so my plate frame has a nasty vibration to it. Very unhappy.

My Explorer only came with one of those bottom nipples, so my plate frame has a nasty vibration to it. Very unhappy.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have the same on mine and absolutely no issues with it. Do you hear the vibrations in the cabin?

Peter

Thank you.......and no, I can’t hear it inside. However every time I close my hatch, it is a constant reminder that I have to address that.

I just bought a couple more standard license plate screws, and screwed those suckers right into the rubber nipples. They actually hold really well. Going on a year now.

Have you considered perhaps cutting off the rubber nipples? That would bring the plate closer to being flat/upright. Just be sure to check that the bottom of the plate doesn't make contact with the body. I don't know if cutting them off will keep the plate from vibrating since the nipples seem to put a little tension on it. So far no luck in even finding those parts.

Peter
The rubber bumpers are to keep it from flapping in the wind. However, after time they don’t always stay put and it’s always flipping in the wind. Not sure why they don’t just secure it with screws like all other car manufacturers do!!

The rubber bumpers are to keep it from flapping in the wind. However, after time they don’t always stay put and it’s always flipping in the wind. Not sure why they don’t just secure it with screws like all other car manufacturers do!!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back