03 lincoln aviator | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

You know its good when it comes with a wax stamp certified lab results and warranty. ..better for the cost...lol

The boundary pump..

20180323_182356.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^ Wow...kudos! And I thought when I replaced my turn signal indicator (MFS) it was a big deal.

I have docked the block with the Hayes flexplate to the torque converter adapter and transmission housing and the flexplate seems to fit fine. Here are some details: Next project vehicle?
Awesome, glad to hear it worked out and awesome details. .

I should have my motor back tomorrow or Friday, its taken much longer than first thought. .im not to sure ill be assembling the motor right away though, i dont know if you remember but i was having issues after he worked on the heads with burning oil..he blamed rings,i put new rings in,pulled heads,said heads looked fine and then motor blew..

But he again says the heads look fine and said he put new guides and seals in to be safe...this is not reassuring to me at all..

I have made a plexglass ""cover" that mounts over the intake runners and exhaust runners..it has nipples through it into each port which im going to pull a vacuum and pure oil over the valves to test if it pulls a vacuum or if it straight pulls oil down the guides..someone else did this to test a set of heads over on the Mustang forums that kept having issues with heads and a machine shop..ill post some pictures tomorrow, its at my shop

If they dont test good, they will be going to Fox lake for a cnc port and new guides.Ron guarantees they wont smoke..

Think going to have to pull the plug on my machinist. .called today and he says he hasn't even started on it and dont know when he's gonna have time..the owner has been out with a shoulder surgery. .

He also said that my pistons were ****ed up and he wouldnt run them..they did have marks on the skirts which is why i had them.coated but the ring lands and top portion of the pistons looked perfectly fine..i post pictures of them and had a shop that specializes in mod motors coat them,who i should've sent the whole motor too..

He hasnt made me feel comfortable about the heads and now basically said if anything goes wrong with the block its on me because he warned me not to use the pistons. .WTF

ouch

What did he say was wrong with the pistons?

Idk if you remember the pictures i posted but 6 had scuff marks on the skirts and SLIGHT valve contact marks..

The skirts concerned me at first too but many shops said they were ok and i had a shop knock any high spots down and coat the skirts..he also balanced all 8 before coating..2 were brand new and they got the valves first and locked the motor up..

They coating filled all the scuffs and all the ring lands up all looked perfectly fine other than SLIGHT exhaust valve marks..

Let me find pictures

If he said a measurement is off on the pistons, like piston diameter or ring groove clearance etc, then I might believe him until you have time to check them yourself. If he just said they look bad then tell him to go pound sand.

Here was the WORSE one..the rest really didnt have 1/3 of "depth" or marks..he coated this one very thick and once the coating worn down some it would almost be level to the rest of the skirt..he balanced all 8 before coating and check for roundness/size/ring lands of the used 6 used ones..the valve contact you really cant feel but can see when heald at perfect angle..
The worse ones..
20170325_143341.jpg

Coated THICK..
received_10209044013723545.jpeg

And the rest cant even see them..
received_10209044021003727.jpeg
received_10209044021643743.jpeg

If he said a measurement is off on the pistons, like piston diameter or ring groove clearance etc, then I might believe him until you have time to check them yourself. If he just said they look bad then tell him to go pound sand.
I would trust the shop who i sent them too way more than my guy..they checked all 6 for roundness, diameter and grooves etc etc..all they build is mod motors and had NOTHING to gian by bs me..

That's what I'd do, find a shop that builds those a lot, and trust their judgment. If your shop owes you something in some way that you want to use them still, contact the owner or highest management, and agree on the condition of the pistons. It sounds like the man who said he wouldn't want those pistons in his build, isn't the head guy. Make an agreement with the right guy, even organizing a talk with an expert on those modular engines, and those pistons.

So unfortunately i went to pick up the stuff and talked with the owner and lead machinists. .i gave in and felt bad for them to a point but definitely expressed i was not happy and this was their last chance..

He had the heads done,block cleaned and parts all layed out..said the crank looks like it has infact been balanced and just needs a polish..he again stressed he doesnt suggest i use the 6 used pistons but said many many have and would..i stressed that each bore needed to be honed to a specific piston to get the correct PTW and he said thats one of the reasons he doesnt suggest i reuse them but would..he stressed that this would take much longer than if all the pistons fell within the same spec..

He also stressed that with all the problems i have had with this motor that he wouldnt use used parts and that im risking it doing so..i just take this as him coving his ass this time by having an excuse to blame problems on since he can't find one with the heads,which he still wants to blame the rings/block even though the owner and lead both saw and agreed oil shouldnt have been running down the guides like it was..he also swear he vacuum tested the ports but that it really would show issues with the guides unless they were extremely bad,which they didnt look to be but cant explain oil running down them..hes put new bronze guides and seals in it..

Said should be done probably Monday given he has to take extra time honning and needs to order main/rod bearings

What kind of guides were in there the last time?
I can understand the CYA syndrome, used parts would probably make anyone nervous.

I'm hoping the problem was minor and this time taken care of, whether it was their fault or a part's. I know you'd like to know what it was, but if it is okay this time, I'd take it as a shame but good karma in the end. Murphy's law kind of applies to tons of things every day. We(I do) just hope that the good evens out with the bad. So fingers crossed, I hope the engine is flawless from now on.

What kind of guides were in there the last time?
I can understand the CYA syndrome, used parts would probably make anyone nervous.
Originally i took the heads to him for the famous bad or lose valve seats..had low compression on #7 ....he did hardened seats,SI SS valves, bronze guide inserts,new seals,deck and valve job..charged me $900ish..it smoked from then on...took heads off and had him check them and said looked good,only did seals..smoked..blamed rings..took heads off,pan off,pistons out,cleaned pistons,honed,new rings and put back together. ..smoked afterwards still..drive the piss outa in and threw 3 rod bearings...

When i took the heads off this time you could clearly see oil running down the guide and on the the exhaust valves only..i honestly think he didn't do guides on the exhaust side,he slipped up when i was talking to him and said ""we done what,seats on all and guides on intake and they all look good"" but said he replaced ""all guides and seals""....why would you replace the guides if they ""looked good""...

Idk im just STRESSED

Well guess he got the hint..he called today and said everything was basically done but when he went to gap the rings i supplied which was told were new,were previously gapped..they were new but gapped at like 30 for alot of boost like TT,so he has to order new rings and gap them for my application ..said he'll try to get them overnighted and have it together tomorrow, if not it will be ready monday...

Hopefully he didnt cut any corners and its done right...

That's promising. It seems that the gentle nudging helped. I remember what it was like to try to get a machine shop to finish engine parts. Sometimes the race guys take priority and slow down the average customer.

Well motor is FINALLY done..picking up in the morning. Going to try and test the heads if i can.if they pass ill start putting it back together but if not,its going to be a couple more weeks...

Fingers crossed i can test them and they test good!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We're all hoping it's going to be right this time. Crossed fingers,

Back