Shark fin Antenna Install + Pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shark fin Antenna Install + Pics

2016 shark fin antenna

Does anyone know if the 2016 shark fin antenna will work to replace the OEM antenna on a 2015?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if the 2016 shark fin antenna will work to replace the OEM antenna on a 2015?

You can get a shark fin antenna on ebay painted to match cheap

Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it.

Peter

It is yet to be found first and second it may not be worth the money keeping in mind how OEM parts are usually expensive.
I remember I was thinking of shark fin from Lincoln, but it was almost $200, so I just did not go for it.
PS I personally prefer Visual Garage style over OEM even though Visual Garage little bit too big since it covers OEM one.

I ordered a unpainted shark-fin. My son in law works at a dealer and can paint it to match my EX. Should be unique having a Deep Impact Blue shark-fin.
Sorry for no follow up on this. I got a shark fin from visual garage and it was painted to J4 impact blue. It has been working perfectly, even when travel through the mountains of Colorado

I wanted to share my $20 ebay shark fin antenna with everyone. I feel it’s a great comparison to the visual garage one for less than 1/4 the price. I haven’t noticed any reception loss with my normal FM stations. Sorry for the photo quality, I was trying to take them before dark.

AAD7ECFC-09E6-43A0-A61C-5BF6C6BB60C6.jpeg

98FC8B4C-9ABA-4030-A12C-CE2E471A074D.jpeg

844F1FD0-A766-47F1-9E94-D037F37A03A6.jpeg

B2090619-0585-4777-8763-EE9BD15DE946.jpeg

Looks good. How is the reception on AM and Sirius? Keep in mind that Visual Garage will also paint it to match your vehicle.

Peter

I only listen to FM stations or stream the music on my phone. Thankfully my roof is black so it was an easy match. I just couldn’t justify the $90 visual garage option even though they look great. The one I got for just under $20 has exceeded my expectations.

I wanted to share my $20 ebay shark fin antenna with everyone. I feel it’s a great comparison to the visual garage one for less than 1/4 the price. I haven’t noticed any reception loss with my normal FM stations. Sorry for the photo quality, I was trying to take them before dark.
Howdy, Nice job on antenna, looks great...
Can you post a link for the one from ebay?

How does the old antenna come off?

To install the shark fin antenna all you need to do is twist the tall antenna counterclockwise to unscrew it and then the shark fin fits over the base. If you are wanting to remove the base you have to drop the headliner from the back because it has a bolt holding it in place but, that’s not necessary for the shark fin install.

To install the shark fin antenna all you need to do is twist the tall antenna counterclockwise to unscrew it and then the shark fin fits over the base. If you are wanting to remove the base you have to drop the headliner from the back because it has a bolt holding it in place but, that’s not necessary for the shark fin install.

Very cool, I have one on the way and I'm glad I don't have to take the old one off.

FWIW, I’ve had a visual garage shark fin on my Fusion for maybe 8 years. Still holding up great. One small paint chip. My wife has one on her Venza as well.

Hi everyone, my wife has a 2014 explorer limited. She really wants a paint matching shark fin antenna to replace her regular base and mast antenna. Do any of the 2016 or newer antennas work? I see there are a lot aftermarket versions but I’m wary of signal reception. Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the reception of the Visual Garage antenna. They will paint to match your vehicle. Shark fin Antenna Install + Pics
There are also a few other posts where members have installed a 'Shark Fin' that you can check out using the 'Search' feature.

Peter

I know this is an old thread, but I purchased the newer style shark fin antenna(without mast) on Ebay for 24.99. It was a brand new take-off from a new vehicle. A little bit of a pain removing the original one, big hands in a small area. It took about 30 and had to pull the headliner down a little to get the bolt started on the replacement antenna. All wires matched up and reception is excellent AM/FM and Sirius. I was going to take pics, but it was just too darn hot and sweat was burning my eyes. attached is pic of new style(actual one i installed). This came from a 2019 Police Interceptor and the guy has more than 10 left. got here in 5 days.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5574912417&icep_item=303554658677

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 124

Denis, I have no idea why Ford seems to use a mix of the standard and shark fin antennas. The Fusion uses the 'fin' as does the 2015 Lincoln MKC. :dunno:

Peter
Do you know of anyone converting a newer model? I have a 2018 Platinum and the antenna is a combination mini-shark fin along with an antenna. I need to remove antenna to allow clearance for kayak!! TIA!

Do you know of anyone converting a newer model? I have a 2018 Platinum and the antenna is a combination mini-shark fin along with an antenna. I need to remove antenna to allow clearance for kayak!! TIA!
Not that I can recall. Have you tried just unscrewing the 'pigtail' to see if that helps as far as clearance goes?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a 2” stubby from Amazon. Been working great for over 2 years. Much easier than adding a new shark fin.

Back