Warning Android Auto is now sending private detailed vehicle info to Google | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warning Android Auto is now sending private detailed vehicle info to Google

ckc123

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
For those of you who may have missed or glossed over the latest "Data Notice" from Android Auto.

AA is now sending off "private" information from your vehicle off to google (not just used in the AA app but off to Google servers for later analysis)

Data "such as"

make
model
fuel level
odometer
gear
presence of passenger
(Plus I'm lot more, as the "such as" wording gives them leeway to collect EVERYTHING if they want to)

I'm posting a security blog about it here.. will post of Google answers to the questions I sent them (such as how do I opt out..)

Think Twice about connecting your Android phone to your vehicle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not surprised by this notice at all.

Google has been spying on us for a very long time. Do you not get notices on your phone to rate your visit to a place you visited? Are you aware that every time you pass a cell tower your phone pings off of it? Any authority out there can zero in on your location at any time.

Solution, as I see it is to quit using cell phones, pay cash for everything, get out that folding map, and, most importantly, remember, there are cameras everywhere. So cover thy head, and disguise your looks for every excursion out.

Or, go back in time to the 50's & 60's, black & white tv, am radio and a news cycle that was 5 minutes in length at the top of the hour!

I hope you realize I'm just trying to be realistic here & not dinging in any way the original poster.

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE...

I'm not surprised by this notice at all.

Google has been spying on us for a very long time. Do you not get notices on your phone to rate your visit to a place you visited? Are you aware that every time you pass a cell tower your phone pings off of it? Any authority out there can zero in on your location at any time.

Solution, as I see it is to quit using cell phones, pay cash for everything, get out that folding map, and, most importantly, remember, there are cameras everywhere. So cover thy head, and disguise your looks for every excursion out.

Or, go back in time to the 50's & 60's, black & white tv, am radio and a news cycle that was 5 minutes in length at the top of the hour!

I hope you realize I'm just trying to be realistic here & not dinging in any way the original poster.

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE...

There are slight nuances which make this different from the situations you are mentioning:

1) you can turn off location services / history in Google and still be able use google maps.. you can also go and and see/clear your location history.

2) Authorities are very different from Google.. Authorities need a warrant (as the data belongs to the cell company) and have "some" transparency laws. Google does not (as it's internal to google). the authorities do not collect all cell data all the time. (Well except those 3 letter ones ;)

3) There is a big difference between being REALISTIC (doing nothing) , and doing what you can to protect the privacy as much as possible when and where you can.. the fact is that google does not "need" this info, and if they do, then it should be done properly and anonymously. which they are not doing now.

having nothing to hide does not mean that you need to give you your privacy needlessly. it means you have the INFORMED CHOICE to expose what you wish for the convenience you want.

I agree with everything you have said in both of your posts.

A persons right to privacy should be a personal concern and a person should be able to be in control of who knows what and when they should be allowed to know it.

No argument from me on that.

None of this bothers me really. Google is pretty transparent about what data it collects. Lets face it, any connected device we have is a data collection device. At least with google, we know what's being collected. Additionally, at least they offer great services with that data they collect and ultimately it makes my life better. imo.

None of this bothers me really. Google is pretty transparent about what data it collects. Lets face it, any connected device we have is a data collection device. At least with google, we know what's being collected. Additionally, at least they offer great services with that data they collect and ultimately it makes my life better. imo.

Actually. that's the whole problem.. they were not.. they left out a lot of detail on the data notice.. for example. did they tell you anywhere that they were going to send your list of saved radio stations to google to use for ad purposes? did they tell you they are going to tie that "preference" to your cell phone number?

how about telling the radios station "real time" how many drivers are listening to their station right now, and their exact locations, how about also their "competitors" on the dials you use.

all that is possible with the data, and the "vagueness" of their new data notice.

No problem here. No connected devices other than a regular non Smartphone, when I remember to turn the phone on that is. :)

Peter

This is an interesting post since the recent decision by Toyota to not offer AA on their newest products.

The reason given was the invasiveness of Google and their analytics.

Toyota Not Implementing Android Auto Due To Privacy Concerns

I always laugh when I hear people voice concerns about Government, or more specifically Law Enforcement getting their information. Google has, and always will have much more personal information about you than any government agency. There are very strict retention rules for Government to adhere to and there are compliance audits. The Government doesnt sell your information.

I don't believe Google has any retention requirements.

Zuckerberg just got ripped for Cambridge Analytics but Google has been doing way more than FaceBook ever did.

Back